URI | Page 2 | The Boneyard

URI

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Hurley is the answer. Has the fire that JC had. His teams play with that same fire, not sour puss faces like we currently have. Pray for $$$ to make it all happen. Also, he has been able to fill up the Ryan center with fans, which is next to impossible
From what I've heard this is not as big of an issue as it was a few weeks ago.

Reaction Score
What I really liked from what I saw (and it wasn't a lot) was that while the individual player talent didn't seem to be great, they played very well as a team. They shared the ball well, looked to second and third options on offensive plays, and they generally played smart and played like a team that "gets it." They understand Hurley's system well and seem very confident with it.

Hurley really has some skills that lead me to believe he could be pretty successful at UConn. Hopefully we have a chance to find out.

Reaction Score
How times have changed.....flashback to early 90's...imagine considering a Hurley as coach.

Reaction Score
you are a moron, I have never been an ollie supporter
I'm still a Ollie fan....although it doesn't seem to be working....have yet to see him do anything to purposely tank the program....understand if he loses his job, but will still be cheering for the program if he's at the helm.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
No comment.
Classic Chief, implying that you know something when you really don't. At the same time, leaving things open so that regardless of what happens (at this point many things are still up in the air), you'll point to this and say "See, I told you about this back in late February".

You keep turning into a bigger clown as each day goes by.

C

Chief00

Classic Chief, implying that you know something when you really don't. At the same time, leaving things open so that regardless of what happens (at this point many things are still up in the air), you'll point to this and say "See, I told you about this back in late February".

You keep turning into a bigger clown as each day goes by.

Yep, in your upside down World I was wrong about the Calhoun/Hurley connection the other day - which other posters subsequently confirmed. I have nothing I need to prove to you.

Stayed tuned.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Yep, in your upside down World I was wrong about the Calhoun/Hurley connection the other day - which other posters subsequently confirmed. I have nothing I need to prove to you.

Stayed tuned.
That's good because to date you have proven nothing.

Plenty of posters who do not claim to be 'connected' were well ahead of you on the Calhoun/Hurley connection. You didn't throw it out until after anyone who could figure out how to google already knew.

C

Chief00

That's good because to date you have proven nothing.

Plenty of posters who do not claim to be 'connected' were well ahead of you on the Calhoun/Hurley connection. You didn't throw it out until after anyone who could figure out how to google already knew.

You are beyond clueless - I actually made that Calhoun/Hurley connection last Fall, September 3rd, to be frank. This is almost 6 months before the recent thread. Although, I did not mentioned that recently. So reality is much different than your narrative.

As far as being connected - whatever that means? I was not brought up to talk like that. I just put information out there when I choose to. If people make the assumption I am “connected” that’s their label not mine. It’s not a term I use.

As far as long time friendships I have - they are just that.

This “connected” thing is clearly your obsession not mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ignoring everything in Storrs and not diminishing Hurley's recent success, but what's the great interest in him versus other potential candidates? Decent record at URI, but what makes people believe Hurley is such an incredible coach or prospective coaching candidate in Storrs or elsewhere? Serious question; just looking for reasonable insights.

Reaction Score
Ignoring everything in Storrs and not diminishing Hurley's recent success, but what's the great interest in him versus other potential candidates? Decent record at URI, but what makes people believe Hurley is such an incredible coach or prospective coaching candidate in Storrs or elsewhere? Serious question; just looking for reasonable insights.

He's the only coach that has actually expressed interest (through back channels, all rumors. But still) and he has Tom Moore on staff. Old Uconn guy if you dont know

Reaction Score
He rebuilt two dumpster fires. Has a long history of being a head coach. Is from the north east and has supposedly expressed interest in the job

C

Chief00

He’s shown he’s a program builder.

Reaction Score
Although I will always be a Husky fan, URI is my alma mater. Would be nice to see them do well this tournament, not only because I spent four years of my life watching them stink, but also because their success seems to be really pissing off PC fans :).

Reaction Score
He's the only coach that has actually expressed interest (through back channels, all rumors. But still) and he has Tom Moore on staff. Old Uconn guy if you dont know
He rebuilt two dumpster fires. Has a long history of being a head coach. Is from the north east and has supposedly expressed interest in the job
Few, if any, regular alumni and fans, truly know whether Hurley's "... the only coach that has actually expressed interest (through back channels ...) nor directly. No ill intent, but to what extent is that simply speculative based on a picture or so with visiting JC, some rumors, rumor-based media comments, etc.

Tom Moore? Really, an "Old UConn guy"? Who knew? Sure Moore lives up the street in Tolland, is a Rhody assistant, and maybe better off as an assistant than as a small-time head coach, but how much potential baggage lingers from his supposedly innocent calls with Nate Miles, the manager Nochimson (sp?), etc. Yup, media reports suggest Moore did no wrong ... yet potentially welcomed back to Storrs?

Hurley's a legit northeast guy with an obvious solid network and not just due to his father and ugh, Pukie brother, but how much credit does he truly deserve for only 2 seasons at Wagner, inheriting some players, and producing one good record (2nd year)? Somewhere, I've heard of a somewhat similar theme.

On the other hand, 6 years rebuilding Rhody's lengthy basket case is more significant. Speculation, a picture with Calhoun or rumor here or there aside, actually recruiting and developing his own players, quantitative performance improvement (single digit 1st year wins to mid-20s and an NCAA bid mean something. Whether 5 winning records in 8 head coaching seasons and one rebuilt programs translates to Hurley being UConn's only current or potential prospective candidate ... TBD

Reaction Score
I can tell you, Moore is well liked at UConn and I’m pretty sure Tom has spoken to AD David Benedict in person on campus. I truly believe if Hurley is our guy, Tom Moore will have played a major role in getting him to UConn and Tom would likely be coming with him rather than taking over the URI program. I also believe JC may be recruiting Hurley a bit based on his golf schedule in Rhode Island, his visits to URI and so on. Something may really be brewing there. JC surely wants to help fix a problem he helped create.

Reaction Score
I can tell you, Moore is well liked at UConn and I’m pretty sure Tom has spoken to AD David Benedict in person on campus. I truly believe if Hurley is our guy, Tom Moore will have played a major role in getting him to UConn and Tom would likely be coming with him rather than taking over the URI program. I also believe JC may be recruiting Hurley a bit based on his golf schedule in Rhode Island, his visits to URI and so on. Something may really be brewing there. JC surely wants to help fix a problem he helped create.
Thanks for sharing.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Uh oh, losing to a non-existent opponent.

Davidson is third in the conference with an RPI equivalent to LSU and Oklahoma State. They're not world beaters, but they're not non-existent, either.

Reaction Score
How times have changed.....flashback to early 90's...imagine considering a Hurley as coach.
Almost got into a scrap with him at seton hall dorm in 93 or 94 or something. His girlfriend was roommates with my snowball winter dance date from high school who also graduated with me. He was perpetually ripped on radio after every game and not given a lot of love on campus even though he was pretty much a Home town kid. Too much talk about his brother. Despite my brush with him it was kind of depressing. But the hall was just crappy like that back then. Terry DeHere is all over they ever knew about good ballin. Being a regular visitor i did for some odd reason hang with big old Luther wright who was just, well,, big.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom