URI Transfer: Tyrese Martin | Page 10 | The Boneyard

URI Transfer: Tyrese Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
martin is better than sid. maybe he'll be better than adams. improvement on the margins is important too. it was fun to day dream but we were never getting nolley and sonogo

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well i mean he's coming. But he's the first Hurley guy i'm super no into. He's a stylistic finisher at the rim, blows a lot of bunnies and makes some incomprehensibly stupid passes offensively. He's got the vision of a mole. Nose for loose ball rebounds. Can shoot. Long story, short - we should be moving on from guys like him.

Like he's a good A-10 senior guy. He's at best -a good 7/8 guy for us if everything falls in. Utterly and completely underwhelmed and if we're burning a year for him - major yikes.No good way to spin that and we should be spending that roster spot better elsewhere.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Like he's a good A-10 senior guy. He's at best -a good 7/8 guy for us if everything falls in. Utterly and completely underwhelmed and if we're burning a year for him - major yikes.No good way to spin that and we should be spending that roster spot better elsewhere.

Sorry you feel that way.

pj

Reaction Score
Well i mean he's coming. But he's the first Hurley guy i'm super no into. He's a stylistic finisher at the rim, blows a lot of bunnies and makes some incomprehensibly stupid passes offensively. He's got the vision of a mole. Nose for loose ball rebounds. Can shoot. Long story, short - we should be moving on from guys like him.

Yeah, feels like he's competitive with Adams to me, not to mention Bouk, Andre Jackson, Polley, and Nolley if we get him. But, I'll trust in Hurley.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don’t get why everyone is down on him. If Hurley has shown us anything he’s shown us he has an eye for talent. The kid can clearly play. He just needs to refine his game. This is the 2nd time Hurley has clearly made this kid a priority. Maybe we should trust that just a little bit more...

Also, we can’t go into 2021 with 5-6 scholarships to fill. This kid will bring value, and Hurley will get more out of him than what you’ve seen

Reaction Score
Don’t get why everyone is down on him. If Hurley has shown us anything he’s shown us he has an eye for talent. The kid can clearly play. He just needs to refine his game. This is the 2nd time Hurley has clearly made this kid a priority. Maybe we should trust that just a little bit more...

Also, we can’t go into 2021 with 5-6 scholarships to fill. This kid will bring value, and Hurley will get more out of him than what you’ve seen

I agree, Hurley's two best traits as a coach seem to be player development (see Whaley/Vital) and eye for talent. Whatever this player was at URI i'm confident he will be much better when he finally takes the court for UCONN. Total confidence in Hurley.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
His stats aren’t bad at all. He produced in a very stagnant offense. Shouldn’t be any worry in this kids game or shot. Not sure where the disconnect here is. He will fit in nicely (if he chooses us) and the competition between all these guards/wings will be exciting.

Reaction Score
“But you have to wonder where he fits into the scheme.”

Exactly the point I’ve been trying to make. For Nolley and Sanogo it is clear where they’d fit in the scheme.
I’ll trust the guy who is making north of 2 mil a year coaching who has recruited Martin in the past over some jaded media type. Hurley wouldn’t waste a scholarship on him if he didn’t feel he would fit our ‘scheme’. Maybe, just maybe, Hurley valued Martin over Vaughn all along and Vaughn committed to Ole Miss once he heard UConn was going in a different direction. Timing reveals a lot. The timing of Sid, the timing of Vaughn, the timing of Martin. Let's keep our fingers crossed for Nolley. I would hope for news in the next few days. The longer it goes on the less likely it becomes.

Reaction Score
Watched all of the full games I could find.

1. He is not a guard. He is not a swing. He is a wing. 100%. He can't dribble with his right hand (but shoots righty), which made it tough for him to go 1v1 to the rim. Tough rebounder... seems to take pride in it.

2. He seemed really disengaged on both ends of the court at times. It was the Fatts and Dowtin show down there, and I'm just not sure how he fit in. I would be a little miffed too. Plays weren't really run for him much at all, which made it tough to find an offensive identity, especially at the rim.

3. I think he has the potential to be a nasty, versatile defender. He has prototypical wing size, solid athleticism and moves really well laterally. With his size/strength he could guard 1-4 if he puts his mind to it. Made some really, really impressive plays when he was engaged. He needs to change his mentality--I think Hurley can bring that out.

4. His shot is definitely improving from HS. Setpoint and release are smoother... trending in the right direction. Still has wonky hand position on the ball.
It’s simple. Martin is a prototypical Hurley type player. The past two years,
Hurley had to coach to a flawed and poorly constructed roster. The next few years, he will coach how he wants to play with his type of roster. Martin fits in perfectly with that. Uconn basketball in two years will look very different to how it looked the last two.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I agree with Towney on this one. “In Hurley I trust” is the overall mantra, and I hope I’m wrong. But I’m not sold on Martin’s fit short term or his overall upside. There are exceptions, but I feel like transfers rarely meet expectations as is, and Martin’s upside is already capped. His pedigree isn’t anything to write home about, he likely will have to sit a year, and when he’s eligible, I see him as a 7/8th man at best. Obviously, I hope I’m wrong, and I’ll be earmarking this take with hopes that I was. However, with all the combinations we were looking at for the last two scholarships, I’m not in love with what we’re looking at now. Unless we land Sanogo. Expect this to be an unpopular opinion.

Reaction Score
He will give us much more than Sid and he put up solid numbers in the A10 (which was similar in strength to the AAC last season). He has some weaknesses (like decision-making), but they're very fixable under Hurley.

Reaction Score

Does he know anything or this guy just pieces together info from others and repeats it on Twitter. Last week he was guessing Martin went elsewhere.

We'll see if the second scholarship is a big or if we get Nolley too.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Those Boneyarders who really want Nolley - you do realize that Martin is a similar size and plays the same positions. Do you want this player if you also want Nolley? Even if both have to sit a year?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If the guy defends, rebounds, and plays with the attitude that Hurley is looking for, he will help us without scaring away top HS recruits. No transfer is going to start for this team, nor should they if recruiting is up to speed. You are looking for guys to fill roles. This team needs rebounding to make up for the loss of CV.

Reaction Score
Those Boneyarders who really want Nolley - you do realize that Martin is a similar size and plays the same positions. Do you want this player if you also want Nolley? Even if both have to sit a year?
I've been getting killed for the opinion but yes I'd still take both. If it's an either/or I don't love if it's Martin over Nolley, but I think Martin is a very good player

Reaction Score

Glad I’m not alone. low basketball IQ player. Cannot believe we’re going to spend one of our two open scholarships on a guy with questionable upside who has to sit a year. This will not be an “infusion of talent” like we’re getting this year. Martin will be Jackson’s backup at the 3 and will frustrate the hell out of us.

THIS. If we land Martin we’re not going to land a guy of very similar size and position who also needs to sit. Nolley would actually be worth waiting a year for. Give me Nolley and Sanogo and all is good in the world. Etienne would also work.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Wait till the 70% of this board who thought Vital sucked for the majority of his career see Martin play.

not saying he can’t improve. but so far his best year isn’t close to vitals worst year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom