Urban Meyer Suspended 3 Games For Role In Zach Smith Domestic Violence Probe | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Urban Meyer Suspended 3 Games For Role In Zach Smith Domestic Violence Probe

Reaction Score
Kids at UNC got in worse trouble for selling a pair of Jordans...let that sink in.

I've seen a bunch of people say this and I'm still not sure how these events are related to one another.

I'm slightly torn on this topic. Urban has handled this situation in an objectively terrible way. Blowing the protocol on something like this is bad enough as it is. Schools go out of their way to make the responsibilities of a coach abundantly clear on matters pertaining to domestic violence. He very likely knew this and abused his power to help a friend.

But there seems to be more going on here than the media will allow for. My initial reaction to the press conference was that Urban's just arrogant , but in hindsight, the utter contempt he seems to have for the victim, as suggested by his answers, makes me wonder. It had the feel of a guy fighting a battle with his hands tied behind his back. I don't offer that as an excuse so much as an observation; he seemed to feel genuinely wronged by the whole thing, and while he might be out-of-touch, his demeanor throughout this saga has never really been consistent with someone who's trying to hide something.

We still don't know exactly what he knew and when. It's easy for us to say he should have fired Zach Smith. It's probably harder when you have a preexisting relationship with that person - people are predisposed to believe people they know, and that becomes especially so when you're exposed to his side of the story everyday. People underestimate this bias when they draw sweeping conclusions about a person's motives. Easier to be manipulated by somebody you have to look straight in the eye.

Reporting mandates can be somewhat flimsy. They're supposed to protect people from their own judgement, but that invariably becomes impossible when you're weighing the validity of allegations that have already been vetted by law enforcement.

The fact that domestic violence charges are so hard to file makes this even trickier. It's not much of a stretch to think that a football coach might conflate the lack of an arrest with innocence. To the extent that an independent panel never had the chance to examine the evidence is largely Meyer's fault, and if you think he should lose his job for that, I will not argue. However, I can empathize with someone facing a predicament that forces them to choose between loyalty and PR, especially when you're leaving yourself open to remorse either way. I think it's OK to demand better from the people involved here without losing sight of the fact that this wasn't a capital crime. The grandstanding from the usual suspects in the media is just a bit much - we can acknowledge our country's domestic violence problem without turning our football coaches into first responders. I feel the same way about criticizing coaches for things that their players do - at the end of the day these are adults that should be judged independent of whoever they may associate with.

Reaction Score
Jimmy, do you need some smelling salts or something? While many said he would be fired I said he would be suspended 0-4 games and he was suspended 3 games. How’s that less than stellar?
In the real World it was very accurate. I have to laugh at the posters who get caught up in some movement rather than the facts.

Nobody’s talking about your prediction. You keep apologizing for these lowlifes. It’s really weird.

C

Chief00

Nobody’s talking about your prediction. You keep apologizing for these lowlifes. It’s really weird.

All I am saying is her allegations were investigated by police and reviewed by prosecutors and it was determine there wasn’t a basis for the case that you are convinced happened. Instead you are relaying on sports reporters for obtaining your conclusions. Who’s weird here?

I am not making any claims for who’s a good person or not. Just following the allegations of spousal abuse. Spousal abuse is a terrible thing - there is no question about that. But, what we are debating is the evidence that it happen in this case?

Reaction Score
It is a “partial suspension”. He misses games but can still coach during the week. LOL.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The NFL had less on Tom Brady.

I'm half thinking that the AAC is not a half bad affiliation...(then the TV contract gets renewed for comparative peanuts, and I feel like tihs again.).

Reaction Score
"All I am saying is ..."

"It is a “partial suspension”. He misses games but can still coach during the week.
"

"Less is more" for $500 Alex :rolleyes:

"What is utter BS?"

Reaction Score
I dunno, since when did a boss become responsible for what happens in a subordinate's home? I mean, really. Yeah, maybe if law enforcement tells the boss that there is an ongoing investigation a suspension is warranted. But otherwise?

Reaction Score
The right move probably would have been to fire him based on all the available objective information.

That said, you're getting another glimpse into the real toxicity that plagues this country.

Wages of journalists & reporters suppressed ----> Journalists and reporters develop a self-interest in covering stories that align with the public's appetite for mindless drama ----> Fans have their own emotions used against them and are baited into processing fragments as truth based on some other reason they don't like that person

Here's my column on how Urban Meyer kind of deserves blame but also not really:

Or better yet here's my column on how I just don't know what to think about this because there's so much I don't know:

It's not a coincidence that the dude who broke this story just got laid off. There are serious, deeply embedded problems that people aren't going to see because it's not worth investing in the truth until it's you who needs it.

I find Urban to be hypocritical, power-obsessed, stubborn, and largely emotionally unwell. But it's easier to just make this about women, because using real words to describe polarizing topics doesn't work as well cannibalistic repetition. There's no need to consider the fact that the underlying thread in all of this is communication, let's just release a statement, throw Urban in front of a camera to say something he doesn't mean, then ignore it for the rest of time because why would we ever want our public figures to be open and contrite when it might impact our business model, which by the way is completely at odds with any reasonable power structure as it is?

Everyone owns a share in this. I become dumber every time I listen to people who get paid to talk about this stuff talk about this stuff. Our smartest people are often the ones furthest away from the camera and that's a real problem.

Reaction Score
I dunno, since when did a boss become responsible for what happens in a subordinate's home? I mean, really. Yeah, maybe if law enforcement tells the boss that there is an ongoing investigation a suspension is warranted. But otherwise?

The issue at the center of this is that Urban didn't communicate information to his higher-ups that theoretically anyone could have communicated to those people. More broadly, it's a matter of evidence. What cleared Zach Smith in the eyes of the police should not have cleared him at Ohio State.

The problem is that it's pretty natural to think that if the police know about something, then there's really no need for the football coach to know. The whole point of being a self-reporter, after all, is to protect people. To the extent that Urban failed in that assignment is a reflection of the larger failure of our legal system to protect women. But that's not as fun as it is to nail an all-time great football coach to the cross for now apparently being a despicable human being.

Reaction Score
I sort of get your point except that this is s high profile public job that has specific rules about reporting these types of things. I mean, if you carry your case to it’s logical extreme you could argue Joe Paterno did nothing wrong. He wasn’t responsible for for the monster on his staff who by all accounts did his job a defensive coordinator quite well. Same with Wilson. Good coach who just happened to beat his wife. Of well. No Urban’s problem.

It is arguable that if he happened to work in a back office for Aetna and he wasn’t arrested his bosses aren’t responsible. On the other hand if he’s an on-air personality on Chanel 3 they might take a different view.

Reaction Score
Guessing if some other information comes out, or if the heat stays on, they will claim new info came out, and Meyer will be fired. Then in 2020 he will begin a comeback tour at some Sunbelt school for a year or two. Then end up at Louisville.

Reaction Score

Especially regarding individuals responsible for overseeing state-linked university athletic programs, Randy Edsall's tweet may be relevant.
“It isn’t the original scandal that gets people in trouble - it’s the attempted cover-up.”-Tom Petri

C

Chief00

Gotta love gone on-line sleuths:

This was included in the report to demonstrate Urban monitored the program and assistant coaches and in this case took action, etc. For OSU and Urban it’s all good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom