Upgrading Tailgate | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Upgrading Tailgate

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
For the past ~eight seasons I've used this:
Yukon.jpg

The legs are removable if if you get the carry bag it's easy to transport.

I also got this to go with it:
BB Box.PNG

Which sits on top and has nearly the same surface area as an outdoor grill. It also has a carry bag.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This past offseason I purchased the flat top griddle that goes with it so the grill can do basically everything.

51IdfV69CcL._AC_SX466_.jpg

There is one thing it can't do so my other offseason purchase was this:
Alpi.PNG

Propane fueled portable pizza oven

Reaction Score
If you are looking for a "platform", the Camp Chef stuff is great. I have a twin burner with the full-size flat top, half-size flat top and a grill box.

We also do a couple of theme tailgates each year, like:
  • One pot lobster bake - usually a big game or early in the season when the weather is still warm.
  • Steakhouse Saturday - everyone brings their own piece of meat and a side inspired by the Sparks Steakhouse menu (minus dead mobsters). The flat top is perfect for this one.
  • First home game in October is dedicated to Octoberfest - all German food and beer.
One of the best tailgates we did was an Italian one - but we made antipasto, stuffed artichokes and chicken scarpariello and drank homemade wine. Long story short, just try stuff and have fun.

For things to bring to the tailgate:
  • Design your own flag.
  • Get a bull horn - the people around you may not love it, but it gives you the ability to mock your friends at distance (at least that's what we do with it).
  • I bought a shot ski and a golf chipping game for this year. They bet they'll go great with the bull horn.
  • A good tent - with side panels - is handy, as are a propane heater (or fire pit) and a disco ball.
  • I just switched over from paper/plastic to smaller sheet pans and regular utensils - takes up less space.
  • Get a folding table and folding benches from Costco and you have a mobile picnic table
  • Get a few camp lanterns for later in the season.
  • Bring a bluetooth speaker
  • I use a tackle box for my knives, serving spoons, tongs and stuff - keeps it organized

Last edited:
Reaction Score
View attachment 90468

Propane fueled portable pizza oven

we did the pizza oven for a game last year and, while it produced great tasting pies, it was not a great option for our group of 30+ due to the time it took to make each pie - slices went as soon as they came out. if you have a smaller crew, good option.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
I tell ya, reading this really makes me miss the 5+ years I spent as a season ticket holder tailgating in the blue lot. Moved to the mid Atlantic 6yrs ago for work and haven’t been able to get to a game recently. Give em hell in the lots gents.

Reaction Score
I tell ya, reading this really makes me miss the 5+ years I spent as a season ticket holder tailgating in the blue lot. Moved to the mid Atlantic 6yrs ago for work and haven’t been able to get to a game recently. Give em hell in the lots gents.
Agreed. I really miss it too. My father-in-law and I had tickets since 2002, the last year at Memorial Stadium. We let our tickets lapse after the debacle that was the 2018 season. Our tailgates were 20+ people during the good years, and they dwindled to 2 or 3 in the last few years. We thought about getting them again, but my father-in-law is almost 80 now and it would be a long day for him.

Looking forward to FIU game which will be our first since 2018. Taking the wives as well and hoping my daughter grabs a bus from Storrs.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I really miss it too. My father-in-law and I had tickets since 2002, the last year at Memorial Stadium. We let our tickets lapse after the debacle that was the 2018 season. Our tailgates were 20+ people during the good years, and they dwindled to 2 or 3 in the last few years. We thought about getting them again, but my father-in-law is almost 80 now and it would be a long day for him.

Looking forward to FIU game which will be our first since 2018. Taking the wives as well and hoping my daughter grabs a bus from Storrs.
Very similar story here...20+ most of the time back in the day and it all just faded away. Still go to a couple home games a year and I never miss the away game at West Point.

Reaction Score
Been a season ticket holder for awhile and go to most all home games, but usually our tailgates consist of friends who drink aggressively and rile up the crowds at games. I’m looking to upgrade our tailgate a little bit, usually we’ll do a cooler with two 30’s and a small grill if we remember to bring it.

What accessories or items do most of you prep for your tailgates? Any good deals going on right now for grills, flags, TV’s, etc. I know some of you prep nice spreads so I’d be interested in hearing anything other than cold beer, we’ve got that down. Really looking forward to this season I’ve got the itch.
A good tailgate grill is a must, and lay in a good supply of the small 1 gallon propane tanks, or buy an adapter and bring your 20 gallon tank. I find that the 1 gal tanks will last 1 1/2 tailgates, depending on how long you leave it running. A folding table (or two) also is a must. We have a couple of canopies, which help for the early games when it's really sunny & hot, and also have attachable walls we use when it turns colder to keep the breeze out. I'd love to get a propane fired space heater.

There's only 1 noon start this year, so only 1 breakfast tailgate (eggs, bacon, donuts and/or bagels, Bloody Mary's). The 3:30 games means the gates open at 10:30AM, so we'll be doing some lunch & dinner tailgates this year. We're gonna do burgers & dogs, but also steak, chili, and BBQ for the afternoon and night games.

I'm looking forward to this season more than I have the last 10 years, I think we've got a chance to win 7 games at least. Go Huskies!!!!

Reaction Score
My old blue Roadtrip Grill is also still in use. It has a removable inner reservoir to add water to to catch the grease drippings. Son's college roommate had a red one with no such reservoir which is much tougher to clean. Make sure that you buy one with that inner lining.
My first grill had the water reservoir, and I grew to hate it, mainly because the water was completely disgusting at the end of the day and you just poured it onto the ground. It was not an easy cleanup, either, IMO, so when it finally gave up the ghost I bought one without the reservoir. I've had it for 2 seasons, and the hardest part is remembering to swap out the tin foil grease catcher, lol. It's no picnic cleaning, either, but I don't have to worry about remembering to bring a gallon of water for it.

Reaction Score
A good tailgate grill is a must, and lay in a good supply of the small 1 gallon propane tanks, or buy an adapter and bring your 20 gallon tank.

I think bringing a few 1 lb tanks is much easier than lugging the big 20 lb tank. But the little tanks have gotten very expensive. My solution was to buy one of these adapters and use my big tank to refill the small tanks at home. Works great!!

Propane Refill Adapter

There's only 1 noon start this year, so only 1 breakfast tailgate (eggs, bacon, donuts and/or bagels, Bloody Mary's).

Actually, there are 2 noon games - 9/30 vs FIU and 11/18 vs SHU

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Bought one of these in 2010ish to use at the tailgates. Depending on the size of the tailgate and trunk size you may not need the q2000, but what's nice here is you can buy an adapter to hook up to a full size propane tank as opposed to the green canisters. Nearly 15 years later I still use the same grill on my deck with the adapter (the adapter is only like 3 years old). I contemplate getting an actual full size gas grill, but the tailgate one works so well and is large enough I can't justify it.

Weber Q 2000 Portable Gas Grill | Weber Grills

Reaction Score
Bought one of these in 2010ish to use at the tailgates. Depending on the size of the tailgate and trunk size you may not need the q2000, but what's nice here is you can buy an adapter to hook up to a full size propane tank as opposed to the green canisters. Nearly 15 years later I still use the same grill on my deck with the adapter (the adapter is only like 3 years old). I contemplate getting an actual full size gas grill, but the tailgate one works so well and is large enough I can't justify it.

Weber Q 2000 Portable Gas Grill | Weber Grills
Love my Webbie Q

Reaction Score
I think bringing a few 1 lb tanks is much easier than lugging the big 20 lb tank. But the little tanks have gotten very expensive. My solution was to buy one of these adapters and use my big tank to refill the small tanks at home. Works great!!

Propane Refill Adapter
Interesting!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom