Updated Roster (and new format) | The Boneyard

Updated Roster (and new format)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Here's an update to the color coded roster. I took an idea from the men's board and changed the color scheme so that each year we can see who are Srs, Jrs, etc, in each year. And yes, I also removed one color from the chart and replaced it with yellow. ;)

Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 11.41.03 AM.png

Reaction Score
Here's an update to the color coded roster. I took an idea from the men's board and changed the color scheme so that each year we can see who are Srs, Jrs, etc, in each year. And yes, I also removed one color from the chart and replaced it with yellow. ;)

View attachment 13823
Suggestion:move Espinoza-Hunter and Gordon to 2016-2017 (in gray) and change the colors for the next three seasons for same to correspond to their class ...2017-2018, pink...2018-2019, yellow,etc.​

Reaction Score
Very helpful. Shows that the crowding effect of the transfers really is a factor for one year- 17/18. For recruits for 17 and 18, it means that there will be more playing time their freshman or sophomore years.

We're looking like a big challenger for All the Marbles in 17/18: Starting line-up of Nurse and Dangerfield in the backcourt; Azura Stevens at center; forwards KLS and Gabby Williams. And off the bench: Napheesa Collier and Batouly Camara at forward, Butler at center, and E-H and Gordon at G/F. Still crowded, to be sure. But a lot of talent.

This would be one of Coach Geno's biggest coaching challenges. He hasn't had a big bench like this in years, and hasn't had this much talent crying out for playing time either. Should be interesting.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Suggestion:move Espinoza-Hunter and Gordon to 2016-2017 (in gray) and change the colors for the next three seasons for same to correspond to their class ...2017-2018, pink...2018-2019, yellow,etc.​
I would just eliminate the gray completely, when they show up they will be in one of the 4 classes.

HGN

Reaction Score
Very helpful. Shows that the crowding effect of the transfers really is a factor for one year- 17/18. For recruits for 17 and 18, it means that there will be more playing time their freshman or sophomore years.

We're looking like a big challenger for All the Marbles in 17/18: Starting line-up of Nurse and Dangerfield in the backcourt; Azura Stevens at center; forwards KLS and Gabby Williams. And off the bench: Napheesa Collier and Batouly Camara at forward, Butler at center, and E-H and Gordon at G/F. Still crowded, to be sure. But a lot of talent.

This would be one of Coach Geno's biggest coaching challenges. He hasn't had a big bench like this in years, and hasn't had this much talent crying out for playing time either. Should be interesting.
I agree........Year 17-18 may be a little crowded , but after that, no problem. The best players will start and play. But ALL will get in the games. Many games will be virtually over in the 3qtr anyway for such a talented team that everyone will get PT. With teams as talented as the 17/18 , and potential of the 18/19 , at least one , possibly 2 , NC is in there.

If Walker joins that 17/18 Class, it will be Katie -Bar-The-Bar for at least 2 years. Geno will have to go back to trying to find other teams willing to play UCONN.

Reaction Score
Ha, Frodo - that's how I had it in the first place, and decided to change it as I thought that seeing how many per class each year would fluctuate. So, here it is both ways:

View attachment 13828

Don't mean to beat this to death...guess it's the programmer in me, but actually, that's not exactly what I meant. Your second version only has different colors for the FR, SO, JR, and SR. What I meant was move Andra and Lexi to 2016-2017 but keep them in gray so we can differentiate the verbals from the actual roster. In 2017-2018 and beyond show Andra and Lexi in the appropriate color for their class, i.e., pink for FR, yellow for SO, etc.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I agree...Year 17-18 may be a little crowded , but after that, no problem. The best players will start and play. But ALL will get in the games. Many games will be virtually over in the 3qtr anyway for such a talented team that everyone will get PT. With teams as talented as the 17/18 , and potential of the 18/19 , at least one , possibly 2 , NC is in there.

If Walker joins that 17/18 Class, it will be Katie -Bar-The-Bar for at least 2 years. Geno will have to go back to trying to find other teams willing to play UCONN.
YES!!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree...Year 17-18 may be a little crowded , but after that, no problem. The best players will start and play. But ALL will get in the games. Many games will be virtually over in the 3qtr anyway for such a talented team that everyone will get PT. With teams as talented as the 17/18 , and potential of the 18/19 , at least one , possibly 2 , NC is in there.

Regarding 17-18 being crowded, I really hate to bring this up but, both Kia and Natalie will have an option of leaving for the WNBA prior to the start of that season.

Reaction Score
Regarding 17-18 being crowded, I really hate to bring this up but, both Kia and Natalie will have an option of leaving for the WNBA prior to the start of that season.

How would Kia Nurse be permitted to leave for the WNBA prior to 17/18? Isn't that her graduating class? I understand that Butler could leave after her redshirt junior year. But Kia? I'm all ears! Didn't think that was possible.

Reaction Score
I read that Connecticut is no longer recruiting Jade Williams. Anyone know why? Is that true? Seems like a very talented player to give up on. Curious....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I read that Connecticut is no longer recruiting Jade Williams. Anyone know why? Is that true? Seems like a very talented player to give up on. Curious....
I've heard the same. I wonder if that is related to Batouly transferring. I think we stopped activity with Jade at least 2 weeks ago.

We are still looking seriously at Megan Walker and Mikayla Coombs for 2017. Megan is Megatron, a Megastud who plays the SF or SG at 6'1". Mikayla is an uber-athletic combo guard at 5'8".

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks, BRS24, for both schemas. A few things jump out at me: (1) As noted, 2017-18 is LOADED. With Megan and/or Mikayla, it will be ridiculous. (2) 2018-19 could be ridiculously loaded as well if we can get Megan and/or Mikayla from 2017 and Chrystin Williams and at least one from among Charli Collier, Honesty Scott-Grayson, Aquira DaCosta, and Danielle Cosgrove. (3) The 2018-19 class has 3 outstanding seniors who could go 1-2-3 in the draft. We will have plenty of senior leadership. But it won't be top-heavy in talent with CD and possibly Megan Walker and Christyn Williams (and maybe more).

Reaction Score
Thanks, BRS24, for both schemas. A few things jump out at me: (1) As noted, 2017-18 is LOADED. With Megan and/or Mikayla, it will be ridiculous. (2) 2018-19 could be ridiculously loaded as well if we can get Megan and/or Mikayla from 2017 and Chrystin Williams and at least one from among Charli Collier, Honesty Scott-Grayson, Aquira DaCosta, and Danielle Cosgrove. (3) The 2018-19 class has 3 outstanding seniors who could go 1-2-3 in the draft. We will have plenty of senior leadership. But it won't be top-heavy in talent with CD and possibly Megan Walker and Christyn Williams (and maybe more).
I would wait and see before assuming the the two transfers will become great players and teammates. I agree, the potential seems there. But who hasn't been disappointed by the play of Butler, who was given many of the same expansive assessments? She was "freshman of the year" at Georgetown; she had great stats; she was known as a hard worker, etc. But, to this point, she is far from starting material, even though she has that size advantage. I, for one, am a bit shocked that she appears such an unathletic player. I hope to be proven wrong, and The Duke and Kentucky players seem much better than Butler. But let's keep our enthusiasm a bit bridled, until we see them in the UCONN uniform. We still need Walker.

Reaction Score

View attachment 13823

BRS: Very nicely done. Appreciated.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I would wait and see before assuming the the two transfers will become great players and teammates. I agree, the potential seems there. But who hasn't been disappointed by the play of Butler, who was given many of the same expansive assessments? She was "freshman of the year" at Georgetown; she had great stats; she was known as a hard worker, etc. But, to this point, she is far from starting material, even though she has that size advantage. I, for one, am a bit shocked that she appears such an unathletic player. I hope to be proven wrong, and The Duke and Kentucky players seem much better than Butler. But let's keep our enthusiasm a bit bridled, until we see them in the UCONN uniform. We still need Walker.
The Boneyard is noted for unbridled enthusiasm, even from the "Voice of Reason." ;)

Actually, we don't know with certainty how anyone will turn out at UConn, even the highly rated Crystal Dangerfield. We do have more video and a lot more info on Azura than we did on Natalie. She played a major schedule for 2 seasons, including against UConn. Batouly played for a top team and had a nice game against SC's big and talented front line. Plus Geno recruited her from early on.

Regarding Natalie, I look for improvement this year. Her hand/wrist injury may have affected her all season, and she needs to be a little quicker with her decisions and movements. Maybe she'll have a belated sophomore leap.

I agree totally about Megan. She can help make us unbeatable. And we surely don't want her wearing a ND uniform.

Reaction Score

If M. Walker comes to Storrs and A. Stevens stays her second year, 2018-2019 possible starting line up.
Dangerfield
Walker
Samuelson
Collier
Stevens
I would take my chances with that line up.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Actually, many games will be relatively over in the first quarter. Or earlier.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If M. Walker comes to Storrs and A. Stevens stays her second year, 2018-2019 possible starting line up.
Dangerfield
Walker
Samuelson
Collier
Stevens
I would take my chances with that line up.
Going out on a limb, aren't you? ;)

With a possible bench of Camara, Bent, Irwin, Espinoza-Hunter, Gordon, Christyn Williams, and Charli Collier. :D

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Are y'all going after any bigs from the 2017/2018 classes? Do you think having Stevens and now Camara will affect your ability to get more bigs on board? This is UCONN we're talking about so probably not, but I was wondering what some of your opinions are on this...

From what I can tell, recruiting bigs is a tricky science... they're often projects but hate sitting on the bench/playing behind other talented bigs... (which is why Mulkey being able to get so many bigs to Waco is very impressive to me) ..At SC, we haven't had the best of luck getting bigs to come in behind Coates, Wilson and White (understandably so), but now that White is gone and Coates is a senior/Wilson is a junior, I'm hoping that changes. Lots of big talent in the upcoming classes.

Reaction Score
BRS24....Thanks for putting this together. Given the embarrassment of talent and lineup flexibility at the disposal of the coaches in 17-18 it would seem that there will be some very difficult decisions to be made. Assuming that KLS, Crystal Dangerfield, Azura and Kia start(although that may not be the case)...then the other starting spot would be either Gabby or NC. Given the incredible talent of each, its almost inconceivable that any coach would be faced with that choice. We're talking about two payers, who on almost any other team , would be their leading scorer AND rebounder in addition to being in the first team AA discussion. Yikes!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Are y'all going after any bigs from the 2017/2018 classes?
I think UCONN is done looking at bigs from 2017. I think UCONN is looking at 2018 though (Collier, Prince, maybe Wallace, Jarosinski, Owens, Cosgrove??)

Do you think having Stevens and now Camara will affect your ability to get more bigs on board?
I think Stevens and Camara (along with Butler) just cover our inability to bring in bigs the last 4 years. We've only had 2 recruits in the past 4 years (Boykin and Irwin) who one would really consider "bigs". And Boykin is gone. And you can pretty much count in 2017 also. So actually 2 "bigs" in 5 years on the recruiting front.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
IMHO, for the truly knowledgeable HS player, with WNBA and Olympic aspirations, if you clear out all the noise, etc, and focus on results, you will see that in fact, you can reach college WBB nirvana with NCs, WNBA, and Olympic success, and only get 20-30 mins per game. Our "big 3" these past 4 years probably played less minutes than some of the starts on other teams. Yes, from a historical perspective, there were players that may have played 30+, maybe Maya, DT, and others, but largely, if you buy into the team concept, and understand that there is always a bigger picture than "getting yours", whether that be minutes, points, or other stats, then you will not be deterred with the 2017 roster (Walker, others). Call it a gut feel, no more no less, but to me, Ekmark, Irwin, Bent, and Camara might be the supporters/super subs that the team needs to round out the team. Gordon and AEH are still unknowns, and I am in no way assuming or predicting that none of these will ever bust out and become a future Stewart/Tuck/Jefferson, however when the informed watch a UC game, the bench can be just as important, if not more so, than the starters.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

View attachment 13823
Nice job. I especially like the canary yellow.;)

You need to update your avatar. Here you go:

wbb-16-champ-badge.png

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Yes, from a historical perspective, there were players that may have played 30+, maybe Maya, DT, and others, but largely, if you buy into the team concept, and understand that there is always a bigger picture than "getting yours", whether that be minutes, points, or other stats, then you will not be deterred with the 2017 roster (Walker, others).

Oops - on edit, forgot that Walker is class of 2018, so just like that, the roster logjam gets a little smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom