Updated BE Bylaws | The Boneyard

Updated BE Bylaws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The one posted on this board is dated 10/2011. It states in section 12.01 that 2/3 of voting members can dissolve the conference. Thus C-7 has control with 7 of ten votes. However the courant states that it takes votes from both the FB and BB schools to dissolve the conference. Thus the power resides with the FB schools. Question, does anyone have or know where an updated version of the Bylaws can be found. Note if the C-7 leaves the conference without it being dissolved, they could possibly lose over 200 million in exit fees and NCAA credits. I don't see that happening. The whole break up could be very complicated if it takes FB approval.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'd be very interested as well...

Reaction Score
I am undecided as to whether I am interested in this subject. I will contemplate the matter further over a few cocktails and report my findings to the board at a later date.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Everyone who is curious needs to be a bit curious as to why a group of schools would vote to disband and announce that they will announce how they will depart in a week.

If they could dissolve the conference they would have done so a couple of days ago. They want to leave and take everything with them but as they cannot (without the cooperation of a couple of those they would be taking from) they need to make it sound as if they have the ability to do something they really cannot do (leave in any fashion other than departing the BE en masse, leaving the spoils to the three remaining football members) in order to barter a better means of departing.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Everyone who is curious needs to be a bit curious as to why a group of schools would vote to disband and announce that they will announce how they will depart in a week.

If they could dissolve the conference they would have done so a couple of days ago. They want to leave and take everything with them but as they cannot (without the cooperation of a couple of those they would be taking from) they need to make it sound as if they have the ability to do something they really cannot do (leave in any fashion other than departing the BE en masse, leaving the spoils to the three remaining football members) in order to barter a better means of departing.
The problem I see is that the dissolving group does not need the cooperation of the the three football schools in any of the by laws. Thamel and Zagoria suggests otherwise, but there is nothing in the by laws to support their contention. So is there something we are not privy to that Thamel and Zagoria know. Or is this just another example of journalists who are not checking facts.

Assuming they are wrong, the optimist in me thinks the delay is just because someone whispered in the groups ears that they better seek counsel before taking the plunge to make sure they understand things and there is nothing nebulous to allow the three in the minority to have the ability to make claims. If that's the case the best the three football schools can hope for is a ten way split of past revenues and exit fees. The delay helps and hurts UConn. The longer the delay the better the odds there will be more CR and UConn lands in a power conference. On the other hand none of the three football schools can take steps to form their own conference until the Catholics finalize things less they forfeit the monies. The pessimist in me says the Catholics could be stalling with the hopes the three football schools feel forced to leave and allow for a seven way split of the monies. In other words the declaration puts a scare into the yet to join universities and UConn, Cinci and USF will be forced to act to create a conference before the Catholics officially announce the departure. That of course would result in a lawsuits, but the whisperers are probably lawyers.:)

My feeling is the three remaining football schools will have to decide the importance of those monies in the BE coffers. I don't have specific numbers other than the Thamel article but it sounds like each schools share can be $13 million. That's not huge, but not chump change either.

This is not an easy decision for UConn, Cincy, USF or any of the approached football schools. It also explains why Aresco hasn't sounded the death knell of the conference because he is aware of the ramifications for the various parties.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
What we have posted on another thread in this forum is a sixteen page amendment (dated October 2011). It would be unreasonable to believe that everything within that document are the rules that conference members need to abide by.

If seeking legal counsel was the reason for delay, shy of being ridiculously mindless (not out of the realm of possibility) why would they not wait until the attorneys devised a course of action before making the announcement?

Not only is it reasonable to believe that a dissolution would require both some majority of all members (such as the 2/3 suggested in many places) but also some participation from each faction in that majority (such as the stated two members of both the catholic and football membership) in order to pass, it would be unreasonable to believe an issue as important as this for a legal entity as substantial as the Big East conference would not have such a provision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom