Upcoming Basketball Season - what do you think | The Boneyard

Upcoming Basketball Season - what do you think

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
This afternoon I received an email from UConn advising me that season tickets would be on sale soon.

Let me just start off by saying there is no bigger homer on this board than me. That said, I started thinking here I am in my 70's now (how did that ever happen?) and a transplant recipient to boot (Thanks Adam!). I am in the seriously 'your up sh^&ts creek' category if I get this virus. It never occurred to me before that I might not get season tickets since I've been a season tix holder since 1980 when UConn joined the BE. How things come around!

Right now, barring a vaccine or cure, I think this will be the year I pass on them.

I don't know what the median age of the fan base is that attends the games but on the women's side I'd bet its pretty far north of 50.

What do you think?

Reaction Score
First of all, I don’t think there will be a season. All the Northeast Governors are on board with a gradual opening plan in four stages and sports are in stage four. Second, if there were a season, I would pass on my season tickets. Being in a crowded arena is a Petri dish for the virus; no one over 60 with health issues should be anywhere near an event like that for at least two years (IMO). If I’m lucky enough to survive in good health, I’ll look at 22-23.

Reaction Score
First of all, I don’t think there will be a season. All the Northeast Governors are on board with a gradual opening plan in four stages and sports are in stage four. Second, if there were a season, I would pass on my season tickets. Being in a crowded arena is a Petri dish for the virus; no one over 60 with health issues should be anywhere near an event like that for at least two years (IMO). If I’m lucky enough to survive in good health, I’ll look at 22-23.
Jordy, I wish we knew what was going to happen this weekend, let alone November. Your point about passing on the tickets if there were a season is beyond valid. As far as playing games in an empty area, if you are not willing to put fans at risk why on earth would you do that with our ladies. The most frustrating thing about the questions is that there is no answers.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
There was an article published online by the Hartford Courant this afternoon (which I assume will be in the newspaper tomorrow morning) about the conditions that need to be met for colleges and universities in Connecticut to re-open their campuses. I won't attempt to link it since it's probably behind a paywall for non-subscribers to the Courant.

The basic requirement is for all "students, faculty, and student-facing staff" to be tested when they show up in September, and for those who test positive to be isolated. The article implies that all these people will be tested twice to guard against false negatives. Apparently, anyone who tests negative twice will be able to live an approximately normal college life, albeit with continued social distancing and periodic follow-up tests throughout the school year.

The new information in the article was this. They expect that the testing around Labor Day would require 200,000 to 300,000 tests for all the students on Connecticut campuses (public and private universities), and more tests throughout the academic year. And then the key statement:

"State officials said they were confident they could meet the testing needs laid out in the report."

There was no mention in the article about sports and how they would be affected. But it seems to imply that the UConn basketball teams could practice and play once all the players, coaches, and managers had passed two COVID tests. It may or may not be possible for fans to attend the games, and fans may or may not be willing to do so.

Personally for me, despite being of an age that would suggest I am at risk (but with no other risk factors), I think I would happily attend the games (with a mask). I wouldn't expect to have trouble finding a seat that was at an appropriate distance from other fans.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This is a call that can wait until the scheduled start of official practice in October. That’s 5 months from now. A lot of things can happen between now and then. Spectators in attendance or not. If school is not in session in September, then you have your answer. I believe UConn normally resumes classroom instruction in early August. Schedules and dates can be changed or modified to accommodate new CDC mandates and protocols for the reopening and day-to-day operations of all schools.

I’m sure most wcbb fans would be happy watching games on TV or a taped replay, rather than no games at all. I agree with Jordy and Steelerone’s observations. The health, safety and well being of our girls MUST have the highest priority in any plausible scenarios being considered.

I’m in the boat with ctfjr. I can’t afford to contract the virus for the same reasons, and I’m taking the CDC’s suggestion of staying in under quarantine conditions very seriously. I’d really like to be around this time next year. I have a mandatory medical procedure scheduled for this summer that has some potential risks.

If not a full 30 game season, perhaps a shortened “condensed“ season that begins after the Christmas break, and runs for 3 months. Then play all conference tournaments beginning Tuesday March 30 through Saturday April 3. Have selection Monday April 5, and begin tournament play that Friday April 9. Final four weekend would be April 24-26. Just an idea. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There was an article published online by the Hartford Courant this afternoon (which I assume will be in the newspaper tomorrow morning) about the conditions that need to be met for colleges and universities in Connecticut to re-open their campuses. I won't attempt to link it since it's probably behind a paywall for non-subscribers to the Courant.

The basic requirement is for all "students, faculty, and student-facing staff" to be tested when they show up in September, and for those who test positive to be isolated. The article implies that all these people will be tested twice to guard against false negatives. Apparently, anyone who tests negative twice will be able to live an approximately normal college life, albeit with continued social distancing and periodic follow-up tests throughout the school year.

The new information in the article was this. They expect that the testing around Labor Day would require 200,000 to 300,000 tests for all the students on Connecticut campuses (public and private universities), and more tests throughout the academic year. And then the key statement:

"State officials said they were confident they could meet the testing needs laid out in the report."

There was no mention in the article about sports and how they would be affected. But it seems to imply that the UConn basketball teams could practice and play once all the players, coaches, and managers had passed two COVID tests. It may or may not be possible for fans to attend the games, and fans may or may not be willing to do so.

Personally for me, despite being of an age that would suggest I am at risk (but with no other risk factors), I think I would happily attend the games (with a mask). I wouldn't expect to have trouble finding a seat that was at an appropriate distance from other fans.
I just turned 87 and I plan to buy season tickets and were a mast to all the games. Bob

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I just turned 87 and I plan to buy season tickets and were a mast to all the games. Bob
I was going to be snarky, but instead, check your wording. :)

Reaction Score
This is a call that can wait until the scheduled start of official practice in October. That’s 5 months from now. A lot of things can happen between now and then. Spectators in attendance or not.

I’m sure most wcbb fans would be happy watching games on TV or a taped replay, rather than no games at all. I agree with Jordy and Steelerone’s observations. The health, safety and well being of our girls MUST have the highest priority in any plausible scenarios being considered.

I’m in the boat with ctfjr. I can’t afford to contract the virus for the same reasons, and I’m taking the CDC’s suggestion of staying in under quarantine conditions very seriously. I’d really like to be around this time next year. I have a mandatory medical procedure scheduled for this summer that has some potential risks.

If not a full 30 game season, perhaps a shortened “condensed“ season that begins after the Christmas break, and runs for 3 months. Then play all conference tournaments beginning Tuesday March 30 through Saturday April 3. Have selection Monday April 5, and begin the tournament that Thursday April 8. Final four weekend would be April 24-26. Just an idea. Thoughts?
UConn is making the decision on the fall semester by June 30th, so we may not need to wait until October to find out.

Reaction Score
@ctfjr, go with your gut on this one. We may say we live and die for our Huskies, but we shouldn't be too literal about that. Be glad that we pull for one of the few wbb teams that televise every game. Sit back, get yourself the beverage and snacks of your choice, mute the announcers if they are annoying and enjoy!!

Reaction Score
UConn is making the decision on the fall semester by June 30th, so we may not need to wait until October to find out.

That gives a good idea of the timeline for colleges to make key decisions. Some of those could still wait until later, such as live sporting events etc, or controlling crowds in general but they have to make the big one to have classes on campus for the fall semester or not, and maybe June 30th is as long as they can wait to make that one.

Carnac's comment that much can change between now and then still applies even for June 30th, it seems like the models and projections go thru pretty big changes in just a few days.

Reaction Score
Restarting sports or restarting anything is sheer lunacy. We are in what amounts to a World War and to win it requires toughness. It requires shutting down as much as possible until a vaccine is available. The economy will recover when people recover. Sports will return when people are safe. The tough will tough it out. This is our Battle of Britain, our chance to have our finest hour. The feds will have to insure that those who have lost income are taken care of first, this is no time for failed trickle down economics. This is definitely not a time to even consider reopening. Most polls show that sporting events are too dangerous. Getting by without sports will be hard. However, watching our fellow fans die would be harder. If you want to know what filling a basketball arena would be like, look at the prisons where a majority of inmates are affected. I see the crowds at UConn games. There are more white heads than on the Florida surf.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Since I don't have a crystal ball, I have no idea what will happen. And neither does anybody else.

I think there is a real possibility of no season of basketball until 21 - 22, at least for some schools. Time will tell. The northeast governors, led by Cuomo, will move together as a block to opening things up. Let's just say I don't have a lot of confidence in this group right now.

As for the wife and I here in Florida, we waited and just renewed our season tickets for USF women's basketball for 20 - 21. Florida is opening up - except for Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties. These 3 counties are 59+% of the total cases in Florida as well as total deaths. Stay-at-home has expired. Restaurants are opening up at 25% capacity with no limit for outdoor seating. I'll stay positive.

Reaction Score
"IF" and that's a huge "IF", schools go back in the fall and sports come back also there is NO CHANCE of fans in the arena to watch ANY sport! There will be TV/radio for the fans to watch/listen to their teams play!
Making sure each team is healthy for several months will be a big enough challenge for the power-to-be to control!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
JMO I dont think there will be in fans in the seats this season. The only possible way is to test each fan coming in for the virus and if they are in line or standing around and have the virus they could infect those around them. I dont think that happens. Plus there is way to much fear.

Teams and coaches will be tested each day before practice and before games. If they test negitive they can play. If they test positive they will be cared for until they are healthy. Perhaps the reason for the increase in roster size. Games will be televised and on the internet. Maybe later in the season if all is well fans will be allowed at the games.

Reaction Score
There will be sports this fall. Maybe not in Storrs, but the $EC isn't canceling football season. Schools in the south have already said they will be back open for business for the fall semester. Schools that are unable to do the same elsewhere just won't play. The NCAA will have to figure out how to handle those situations when they arise.

Reaction Score
There will be sports this fall. Maybe not in Storrs, but the $EC isn't canceling football season. Schools in the south have already said they will be back open for business for the fall semester. Schools that are unable to do the same elsewhere just won't play. The NCAA will have to figure out how to handle those situations when they arise.
The SEC may not have a choice about cancelling football this fall. U.S. COVID-19-related deaths will pass 75k today. The need to reopen our economy more and more will add significantly to that figure during the next three months. I foresee that college football will try to resume, but persistent outbreaks will force football to be shut down this fall.

Reaction Score
Teams and coaches will be tested each day before practice and before games. If they test negitive they can play. If they test positive they will be cared for until they are healthy. Perhaps the reason for the increase in roster size. Games will be televised and on the internet. Maybe later in the season if all is well fans will be allowed at the games.
Will it be logistically possible to test players and coaches every day? I can see taking body temperature scans every day, but asymptomatic carriers will slip through and infect others. I recognize that the fall remains months away and much can change between now and then, but I see so many obstacles in the way of playing contact sports this fall that a lot of very positive things would have to happen soon to make college sports in the fall a reality.

Reaction Score
It isn't even clear when universities will be prepared (medically safe ) to receive incoming undergraduates. We won't have a vaccine until well into 2021, but there is hope for improved medical treatment. But those treatments are barely into clinical trials. So, I would imagine ...if there is a season...it will have a delayed start until December or january.

Reaction Score
@ctfjr, go with your gut on this one. We may say we live and die for our Huskies, but we shouldn't be too literal about that. Be glad that we pull for one of the few wbb teams that televise every game. Sit back, get yourself the beverage and snacks of your choice, mute the announcers if they are annoying and enjoy!!
Smartest post I've read in many moons.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I don't want to join what is becoming a quasi-political discussion.

Like others above...I can't allow myself to catch the virus...will certainly be toast..and am willing (and able) to isolate myself indefinitely if required

I'd also love to have some woman's BB if its safe for all concerned.

But I suspect (reasonable conjecture) that the current experiment
of re-opening diverse segments, while they are still trending upward in cases, will strain health facilities to a significant extent...

And at that point, folks will have to decide what level of devastation they are willing to accept to keep the economy (and some aspects of a normal life) afloat. That answer is above my pay grade and there's a serious question of whether my (or any) senior voice is relevant.

It's actually not a red/blue issue...I always thought that there was some merit in isolating, vulnerable folks like me and letting the young uns get on with it....Like opening elementary schools, for example..

That new, mysterious, offshoot, effecting mostly kids, does put a crimp into that idea though...

So, like most, I carefully observe, hope for the best and tend to my own garden.

Reaction Score
I heard from UCONN today regarding purchasing season tickets for Women's BB. Things are not worked out completely as of yet, but it was mentioned that the season may not be what we have known it to be in the past. Possibly UCONN will only play conference games which might start in January 2021...
Any refunds for games tickets not played will be refunded or you can select to apply it toward next year's games.
Whatever happens is out of our control..If we only see games in the second portion of the season, it will give me great joy to be watching BIG EAST BB again.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm thinking I hope there is a season and that I'll actually get to be one of the fans sitting in the stands enjoying the game. I'd gladly wear a a mask or a hazmat suit if you want me to.

Reaction Score
OK gang, time for a little change. A woman joined the Little Sisters Of The Poor where she had to take a Vow Of Silence. On her first day the Mother Superior called her in and told her, "We don't want you to think we are cold or uncaring. Every five years you can say two words". The first five years went by. She dropped ten pounds, lost some of her hair and her nails were to the bone from scrubbing and cleaning. The Mother Superior called her in and said "It's been five years. You can say three words." After thinking a minute the woman said "Cold food." "Oh, the food is cold. We'll try do do something about that", the Mother Superior replied. Five more years went by. The poor woman was down to ninty pounds, had lost some of her hearing and was half blind. After being called in for her second chat the woman said "Hard matress." "Oh, your matress is hard. We'll try to do something about that.", she said. Finally, after five more years of constant praying, cooking and scrubbing she was called in to the Mother Superior who told her "It's been another five years. You have another two words." The woman looked at her and said "I quit." The Mother Superior gave her a cold look and said "It's probably just as well. All you've done is complain since you got here."

Reaction Score
I am sensitive to the issue of safety of those that play and those that there to view the playing. I say play! Play! Play! I am selfish! I want to see them play with all of these new players.

Most of you will not understand this and that's ok, but I do not understand the difference between dodging bullets and dodging bugs. If it has your name on it, it does not matter anymore. Anyway, only the good die young.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom