Unsung Heros - The History of UConn WBB Walk-ons | The Boneyard

Unsung Heros - The History of UConn WBB Walk-ons

sun

Reaction Score
I found some interesting human interest articles about various walk-on players in UConn's WBB history.

1. Briana Pulido & Tierney Lawlor describe their journeys with college basketball's most prominent dynasty

2. How Autumn Chassion earned a walk-on spot at UConn

3. In the middle of this page, there's a section titled "Walk-on History" with a list of players and their brief stories.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Thread drift warning!

There's a player named Grace Waggoner on Indiana who was a multi-sport player in high school. She was offered in basketball by several schools, but she really had her heart set on Indiana. She got an academic scholarship, so is a walk-on but still with a free ride. Looks good when she's in there, but still not playing much.

Reaction Score
I remember reading a feel-good story long ago that I believe was about walk-on Marci Czel, if my old brain is not playing tricks on itself. It must have been in The Courant.

Walk-ons don't get uniforms. So as a walk-on, Czel competed in her own gym clothes while she was trying to make the team. One day she arrived in the locker room for practice and found a UConn uniform with her name on it slung over the back of a chair. That was how she learned she had made the team. All the players and staff were in on the "trick", and they absolutely mobbed Marci when she realized what the uniform meant.

Imagine her joy.

Reaction Score
Polido's: 116-1: 99.1%
Lawlor's college career: 152-2: 98.7%

I think they are #1 and #2 in win percentage

Worth noting that Saniya Chong shares that #2 slot with Lawlor and had something to do with a few of those wins. She was first off the bench for a number of games freshman year, (as noted above) made the pass to allow Polido to hit the three she is remembered for, played in the majority of games (30,30,25,27 regular season) while she was on the roster (least number of games 25, junior year when working through a chronic injury) and became a key piece her senior season as they kept the streak going and vied for the 5th national championship in a row.

Reaction Score
I remember Jill Gelfenbien in the early 90’s- she was the goalie on the womens’ soccer team and tried out for basketball and made it. One time she must have had brain freeze and she dropkicked the basketball almost out of the gym.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Worth noting that Saniya Chong shares that #2 slot with Lawlor and had something to do with a few of those wins. She was first off the bench for a number of games freshman year, (as noted above) made the pass to allow Polido to hit the three she is remembered for, played in the majority of games (30,30,25,27 regular season) while she was on the roster (least number of games 25, junior year when working through a chronic injury) and became a key piece her senior season as they kept the streak going and vied for the 5th national championship in a row.
Thanks - forgot that Chong shared that ... so much better than those slackers slackers like Kia and Gabby at 148-3 98.0%, Maya at 150-4 97.4%, Stewart, Jefferson, and Tuck at 151-5 96.8%, Lou and Phee at 145-5 96.7%, and DT/Maria at 139-8 94.6%.

Reaction Score
Thread drift warning!

There's a player named Grace Waggoner on Indiana who was a multi-sport player in high school. She was offered in basketball by several schools, but she really had her heart set on Indiana. She got an academic scholarship, so is a walk-on but still with a free ride. Looks good when she's in there, but still not playing much.

Waggoner actually is now on a basketball scholarship. The academic scholarship she had her first two years was tuition-only, so the athletic scholarship is a much better deal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom