UNLV's new stadium | The Boneyard

UNLV's new stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Interesting...so do they get to go to the Big 12 or PAC 12 with this? Hopefully some day UConn can get to a bowl game out there. If the BCS game had been in Vegas instead of Phoenix, I think UConn would have had a better turnout. A little cheaper flight and a little extra encentive (gambling or partying) for students and groups of fans to go.

Reaction Score
That stadium, if built, will never sell out for a UNLV game. Thst stadium only hss one purpose, to get a major college bowl game and possibly the NFL

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
what nfl teams can u think of that may move?

Reaction Score
Go big or go home. I could see unlv parlaying that stadium into a PAC 12 invite, if for nothing else because it would be a phenomenal venue for the PAC 12 championship game.

If it gets built.

Reaction Score

Folks (and league offices) need to get over the hang-up over legalized gambling before you see any major league team (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL) located in city.

U

UConn9604

That stadium, if built, will never sell out for a UNLV game. Thst stadium only hss one purpose, to get a major college bowl game and possibly the NFL

I agree on the bowl -- think El Paso and the Sun Bowl, plus gambling and brothels. The Sun Bowl never sells out for UTEP but always does well for the Sun Bowl game.

Not sure about the NFL. Any team that is looking to move will go to Los Angeles first (I think). I'd say the Chargers and maybe the Jaguars top the list of potential tenants.

Reaction Score
Go big or go home. I could see unlv parlaying that stadium into a PAC 12 invite, if for nothing else because it would be a phenomenal venue for the PAC 12 championship game.

If it gets built.
Any coincidence that the PAC-12 hoops tourney is in Las Vegas this season?

Reaction Score
$800M to build that thing? Jeez. So if it were in NYC it would be roughly $20B? ;)

Yeah, that's being built to host the National Title game, entice NFL (agree with the fear of gambling sentiment), Final Four in mind. UNLV will probably see an uptick in attendance for a season or two based on curiosity. It will overall be a waste.

Reaction Score
The thing is, you can't go big time if you never try. If UNLV and the state of Nevada build this and take football seriously, they can join the Pac at some point. If they don't build it, they can't.

It is just like our situation. We can't win if we don't have a winner for a coach. We can't fill seats if we don't market the program etc. Why criticize anyone for trying? If UNLV goes big time they will recruit well being in Vegas. Locals will have yet another entertainment option. The city will host large events there and help the local economy.

The downside is risk---risk that it doesn't work out. That is always the downside with a new business venture. Fear of risk=fear of greatness.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If UNLV turned the channel on that 100 yard scoreboard to a better game, I bet that place would sell out every game. Or maybe they can turn on old episodes of Vegas.

Reaction Score
IF UNLV has a stadium that costs $800m (done by one of Southern California's major developers) with all the suites, bells & whistles, I suspect that they will soon be paying their Football coach $3m or something. At that point, they have Bobby Petrino or some other rat.

See, UNLV has been playing football since the late 1960s. USF since 1995. UCF - not much longer. UConn - really Bigtime football since 1998. You can't LOCK out these programs, when they can spend, in order to have your four conference cartel: there will be economic forces that punch their way through.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
ppl here laughed a year ago when i was talking about random teams. now those teams 1 by 1 are passing uconn by with simple power freaking points on potential. uconn is just a dam shame they can't get out of there own way. i mean how many fnig hints do then need in storrs?

do u have a market or something special, if so check yes(uconn says we have a good market, bball brand)
then play big boy fball, play in a 40kish stadium.(we built it becuase we didn't have it like others)
do u want to join the power leagues?(if so get a big stadium, cool unis, a marketing office etc....

lville upgraded to BE. but they didn't fall asleep at the wheel. no. they then took that and ran. won some games and lost some. but they expanded there fball stadium, took that and parlayed it to a new bball arena for a top 15 all time bball program. charlie strong and so on. got cool unis and new branding and wala frucking magic.

cincy? well if i had to guess lets see. always had good coaches but went over the top this time to hire a name. expanding the stadium now hugh? cool unis? those looked like bear claw marks on there helmets, wow. wonder why they are doing all this stuff?

tcu?
bsu?
uh?

these teams are building and just plain old GET IT. they do things to jump up a level, then do more to jump to the next level. its not hard, but here in connecticut i would probally have to pull my ruger out and run around the post road naked for a it to get someones attention. maybe hold my self hostage and ask for the media and then speak to them and let the whole world know on cnn about how the mother fruckers are in storrs.

Reaction Score
The economics of Vegas are so different than any other place. This stadium holds 60k, but it will have many purposes, not just football. They will have concerts, boxing, rodeos, basketball tournaments, ... and it will be filled by Las Vegas gamblers. (Vegas has almost 40 million visitors per year!) It would probably be the highest occupied domed stadium in the US with financing from the Vegas hospitality industry. UNLV football is not the focal point of this stadium, but a beneficiary.

Reaction Score
Boise St got a plan to put their stadium to 55K. I agree with Dan, UCONN is sleeping at the wheel. 40K is just small time. If we want to play in a power conference, we better start investing money into football cause that's the only way it will get us there. Everyone is getting it except people at Storrs.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

I wasnt thinking a permanent franchise as much as hosting a SuperBowl. I know the size is on the smaller end but it might be expandable.

Reaction Score
I wasnt thinking a permanent franchise as much as hosting a SuperBowl. I know the size is on the smaller end but it might be expandable.

NFL is moving to Los Angeles and London and other locales first.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
NFL is moving to Los Angeles and London and other locales first.

Agreed but other NFL events or games could be played there. Maybe whatever replaces the Pro Bowl or a game a year played there.

Reaction Score
Agreed but other NFL events or games could be played there. Maybe whatever replaces the Pro Bowl or a game a year played there.

Is the field expandable to 110 yards? I'm thinking Grey Cup!

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
The economics of Vegas are so different than any other place. This stadium holds 60k, but it will have many purposes, not just football. They will have concerts, boxing, rodeos, basketball tournaments, ... and it will be filled by Las Vegas gamblers. (Vegas has almost 40 million visitors per year!) It would probably be the highest occupied domed stadium in the US with financing from the Vegas hospitality industry. UNLV football is not the focal point of this stadium, but a beneficiary.

I was just about to post the exact same thing before I saw yours. This is being built in large part to host major sporting events, conventions, etc. The fact that UNLV plays in it is an afterthought.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
unlv games are not a afterthought. they are the biggest reason(really excuse) to get the thing built. mwc games and then hopefully they dream pac16 games. without unlv, thats 8-10 events a year fball wise that thing is looking for. its the biggest piece becuase its the easiest excuse and reason. everyone needs to stop being in awe or jealous about the idea and instead think why they are doing it and why so many other schools are.

800mil? yea thats crazy, but thats the vegas part of it. we spent what 100mil on the rent? fine, i like it. its a quality place and serviceable. its nothing special and never will be. thats still just fine. but we need to sack up and spend another 10-30mil and get the rent finished otherwise our orginal 100mil will be a waste.

if i'm ad, the right for the rent go up in 2018 right? i come out 2 frucking years ago with a couple pictures. one of the rent at 55k and 1 at 60k. each with a cost and some other metrics. winnin g bidder for the rights to name the rent for 30 years pays up front the 1 or 2 mil a year for the rights for 15 of those 30 years and the last 15 years they pay per year. we take that upfront money and expand the rent so when 2018 we open with a name on it and its expanded. other confs know we mean business etc etc...tell me some locals like sobe for example would jump on that? not a dime from uconn or the state. thats big boy fball walking the walk. vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom