Univ. of Houston is coming, regents vote Thurs- First Tier 2 school in an AQ conference | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Univ. of Houston is coming, regents vote Thurs- First Tier 2 school in an AQ conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's a very good sign. The way this is done is, the BE doesn't announce its invitation until Houston is ready to accept. No public embarrassments.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Seriously, how hard is it to understand that nobody gets invited until we know who is available and how many spots there are. AIrforce and Boise are not moving until we they know what's what

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Seriously, whether Air Force and Boise St accept or decline, more members are needed and three all sports candidates supposedly have been agreed upon (SMU, Houston & UCF).

The actions (or more specifically lack thereof) are telling me that the conference really isn't set on adding any more members.

Reaction Score
Houston 4 year graduation rate: 12%
Houston 6 year graduation rate 42%

US News Rank: unranked

Avg SAT 1056

11% live on campus

Student body consists of 46% community college transfers

By the way, UConn's endowment is $312 million.
All these posts seem to reflect is your discomfort with being a Uconn student or grad, I'm not sure which you are. But the older grads, and the former administrations, made the school what it was. However you choose to characterize that. Since the Rowland administration, a huge amount of money has been put into the school, and the newer students and subsequent administrations are now shaping the university into a different form. But whatever we are is what we are. We can't be ashamed of it, and particularly now, have no reason to be. This is about football relevance, not fraternizing at the Harvard club after the big game. If that's what you wanted, you should have tried to get into one of those schools that better match your self image. But there is nothing to be ashamed of about Uconn and the direction it is going.

Reaction Score
Houston's record in the mighty CUSA is above. That pathetic record does not lie.

No top 25 finishes, only 1 CUSA championship, a losing overall record. You are delusional if you attempt to say Houston has been anything, ANYTHING, but mediocre in football. The program is a desperate, last-ditch, hail mary adf in to the big east. Deal with it.

You need to understand. People who view themselves as UConn fans but live to undercut and denigrate the program have free reign to exaggerate. Don't you read the rules?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I have a few questions for you Rumrunner:

1 - Are you sure that Houston's academics are that far below DePaul and St John's?
2 - Is Houston really any less of an athletic program at the moment than Cincinnati or USF were when they were added?
3 - Who exactly are we ignoring (that is a better candidate) in our pursuit of Houston?

All in all, Houston may be a better candidate than we should reasonably be able to hope for at this point in time.

Reaction Score
I have a few questions for you Rumrunner:

1 - Are you sure that Houston's academics are that far below DePaul and St John's?
2 - Is Houston really any less of an athletic program at the moment than Cincinnati or USF were when they were added?
3 - Who exactly are we ignoring (that is a better candidate) in our pursuit of Houston?

All in all, Houston may be a better candidate than we should reasonably be able to hope for at this point in time.
Exactly. You forget to ask him:
4 - What are you so angry about?

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
They've been to post season 7 of the last 9 years including this one.

Here's the 5-year program analysis from Scout.

As expected they are top half.. Barely
=============================================================.

Program Analysis: 103rd in 2003, Houston went flying up the rankings with Art Briles and now Kevin Sumlin doing a great job of getting the offense going, and the wins have followed. 16 Bad Wins shows how bad Conference USA is at the bottom, but still, winning over 72% of conference games is still impressive and the 37 wins are fantastic. The four drafted players seems light, and the APR Score of 5 isn’t great, but the high-flying Cougars could move up if they can have a 2011 season as expected. However, the 10-4 Conference USA championship season of 2006 won’t count in next year’s formula.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
SMU 94 and Temple 89 are the only teams in the discussion ranked in the bottom 3rd of FBS Teams

SU 79 and UCF 61 are in the next group

Also in the bottom 20 Army, Memphis, and Tulane.

ECU is at 41.

The two service academies Navy and Air Force in the 50s w/ UConn and Houston.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
welcome Houston

hopefully the end result of this expansion is just like the end result of the last expansion, the BEAST gets better

I can only surmise that back in 2003, the naysayers of today were the naysayers back then.

Tends to be a personality trait.

Much of the same crowd was predicting the demise of UConn hoops in March of 2010, not even one year removed from Final Four

Hey, whatever floats your boat. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
There are no good options. Hence the anger.

But Temple over Houston as first team to add. This is yet another up by the Big East.

At least they are more of a cultural and geographic fit. Academically they suck but Houston sucks worster.

FB wise, the program is Houston's equal at the moment. Basketball better.

But of course since a basketball school doesn't want them, off to Houston.

Make no mistake, until and unless the BE becomes too unpalatable for ND, the misery is prolonged.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

But Temple over Houston as first team to add. This is yet another up by the Big East.

At least they are more of a cultural and geographic fit. Academically they suck but Houston sucks worster.

Make no mistake, until and unless the BE becomes too unpalatable for ND, the misery is prolonged.

Don't worry there is plenty of room for Temple. Houston would be 7 (or 5 or 6). Does the order matter?

Reaction Score
Don't get frustrated over things you can't control. That's rule #1. You can't change what other people do, you can only change how you respond to it.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
They just announced plans for a refurb of the Hoops Arena and a new Football Stadium (40k expandable to 50k, sound familiar) last week, $200 million investment. Temple doesn't have that. We are beyond caring about Academics at this point (and I really wouldn't be surprised if they were at USF or Louisville USNews level shortly anyways). If we are stuck in this league, this might be the best development we've heard in a while.

Reaction Score
I feel like a hug now.

Strategicaly the Big East's remaining football schools should not have let Nova dictate teams, especially if Temple was for fb only. That should have been the straw floating onto the camel moment. Instead, more acquiesence, and by default, subservience.

Don't get frustrated over things you can't control. That's rule #1. You can't change what other people do, you can only change how you respond to it.

Reaction Score

The Five Stages of Grief
The stages, popularly known by the acronym DABDA, include:[2]
  1. Denial — "I feel fine."; "This can't be happening, not to me."
    Denial is usually only a temporary defense for the individual. This feeling is generally replaced with heightened awareness of possessions and individuals that will be left behind after death.
  2. Anger — "Why me? It's not fair!"; "How can this happen to me?"; '"Who is to blame?"
    Once in the second stage, the individual recognizes that denial cannot continue. Because of anger, the person is very difficult to care for due to misplaced feelings of rage and envy.
  3. Bargaining — "I'll do anything for a few more years."; "I will give my life savings if..."
    The third stage involves the hope that the individual can somehow postpone or delay death. Usually, the negotiation for an extended life is made with a higher power in exchange for a reformed lifestyle. Psychologically, the individual is saying, "I understand I will die, but if I could just do something to buy more time..."
  4. Depression — "I'm so sad, why bother with anything?"; "I'm going to die soon so what's the point... What's the point?"; "I miss my loved one, why go on?"
    During the fourth stage, the dying person begins to understand the certainty of death. Because of this, the individual may become silent, refuse visitors and spend much of the time crying and grieving. This process allows the dying person to disconnect from things of love and affection. It is not recommended to attempt to cheer up an individual who is in this stage. It is an important time for grieving that must be processed.
  5. Acceptance — "It's going to be okay."; "I can't fight it, I may as well prepare for it."
    In this last stage, individuals begin to come to terms with their mortality, or that of a loved one, or other tragic event.
Kübler-Ross originally applied these stages to people suffering from terminal illness, later to any form of catastrophic personal loss (job, income, freedom). This may also include significant life events such as the death of a loved one, major rejection, end of a relationship or divorce, drug addiction, incarceration, change in office environment (see "Office Space"), the onset of a disease or chronic illness, an infertility diagnosis, as well many tragedies and disasters.
Kübler-Ross claimed these steps do not necessarily come in the order noted above, nor are all steps experienced by all patients, though she stated a person will always experience at least two. Often, people will experience several stages in a "roller coaster" effect—switching between two or more stages, returning to one or more several times before working through it.[2]
However, there are individuals who struggle with death until the end. Some psychologists believe that the harder a person fights death, the more likely they will be to stay in the denial stage. If this is the case, it is possible the ill person will have more difficulty dying in a dignified way. Other psychologists state that not confronting death until the end is adaptive for some people.[2] Those who experience problems working through the stages should consider professional grief counseling or support groups.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kübler-Ross_model

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I feel like a hug now.

Strategicaly the Big East's remaining football schools should not have let Nova dictate teams, especially if Temple was for fb only. That should have been the straw floating onto the camel moment. Instead, more acquiesence, and by default, subservience.

Are we in some sort of alternate universe where Temple has fans? Great sign on OccupyHerbstreit today about Temple.

"Bill Cosby is in the 1% of people who realize that Temple has a football team"

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Houston's record in the mighty CUSA is above. That pathetic record does not lie.

No top 25 finishes, only 1 CUSA championship, a losing overall record. You are delusional if you attempt to say Houston has been anything, ANYTHING, but mediocre in football. The program is a desperate, last-ditch, hail mary adf in to the big east. Deal with it.

We seem to be dealing with it rather well. How about you?

Reaction Score
They just announced plans for a refurb of the Hoops Arena and a new Football Stadium (40k expandable to 50k, sound familiar) last week, $200 million investment. Temple doesn't have that. We are beyond caring about Academics at this point (and I really wouldn't be surprised if they were at USF or Louisville USNews level shortly anyways). If we are stuck in this league, this might be the best development we've heard in a while.

Temple has how many Heisman winners? Is ranked at the moment? Is in a market that cares about college football?

Reaction Score

If you think that Temple is equal at the moment to Houston football wise or that Temple has more potential than Houston you are crazy.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Your credibility wanes with each new post you make. Houston has won two C-USA titles. The one in 1996 was a tie with Southern Miss, but Houston won the tie-breaker game against them and played Donovan McNabb's Syracuse team in the Liberty Bowl.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
They don't call U of H Cougar High for nothing.

But I'd take Houston over Temple any day. Texas produces 350 D1 kids a year in football alone. There are recruiting opportunities there, far more than in Philly. It's not like TCU has been a football powerhouse over the years either. The Big East seems frightfully moribund to me, at least in football, but it could do worse than adding Houston.

Reaction Score
First, both Temple and Houston suck. Houston's record in CUSA sucks. As an academic institution it sucks. The vast majority of its students are commuters grinding through life. School spirit is a difficult commodity to find when there s more atM gear found on campus than Houston gear, or LSu or bevo gear for that matyer.

Temple sucks for a lot of the same reasons. An urban crappy fourth choice school.

It happens to be a closer crappy school.

Rhetorically, if texas produces so much talent, why has Houston struggled in cUSa?

UConn should force ND's hand. Not enable it. Thankfully marinatto is in charge so the BE is flucked no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom