Uniquely Mature Frosh - Nurse and Williams | The Boneyard

Uniquely Mature Frosh - Nurse and Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I will be more convinced after seeing them perform against SCarolina - especially Gabby in that her recent great efforts have been against helpless opponents. But outside of players named Maya and Diana and Shea, what other Uconn players in recent history have performed this well as frosh? Looking beyond the physicality, their court acumen is off the charts.

Over and over again I recall watching players as Juniors or Seniors and laugh at their progression, that as freshmen they were hideous, lost, tentative, confused. Most recently Stewart But these two??? Jeez they are composed assassins

z

Do recall how prepared Kelly Farris was as a frosh, Surprised

Reaction Score
I will be more convinced after seeing them perform against SCarolina - especially Gabby in that her recent great efforts have been against helpless opponents. But outside of players named Maya and Diana and Shea, what other Uconn players in recent history have performed this well as frosh? Looking beyond the physicality, their court acumen is off the charts.

Over and over again I recall watching players as Juniors or Seniors and laugh at their progression, that as freshmen they were hideous, lost, tentative, confused. Most recently Stewart But these two??? Jeez they are composed assassins

z

Jen Rizzotti and Sue Bird started as freshman.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Ann Strother started every game her freshman year (except Senior night.) She went on to win a NC.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
There's actually been a large number of UConn freshman who have contributed hugely to the team, though obviously all had big leaps to make. Just a few more candidates than the 6 mentioned: DT, Nykesha, Sue, Jen, Maya, Shea, plus I guess that was a vote for Kelly as a seventh big contributor, which she certainly was.

1. KML, only three years ago, is the #2 Husky scorer as a freshman, and is on list for rebounds.
2. Tina Charles, had struggles but leads list for rebounds and blocks, and is #6 in scoring as freshman.
3, Sveta, #3 in points and #2 in steals, and on all five lists except for blocks.
4. Stewie, #4 in points, #3 in rebounds, #5 in blocks.
5. Walk-Away (Renee), #1 in assists, #6 in steals.

Bria, Rebecca, and Tamika Williams are also on a lot of lists. Not sure how to judge maturity, but they were all big contributors.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There have been many freshmen who have started as mentioned above. Mainly because of necessity. Stef Dolson also started. I think Tina Charles did as well. Geno generally doesn't like to start freshmen - unless he has no other choice. Gabby is unique not only in that she was asked to play a different position than she did in HS, but she was coming off a 2 year injury hiatus, and has improved as much as any freshman I've ever seen.

Kia was mature from day 1 - her experience on the Canadian National Team is mostly responsible for that. But Gabby has been the biggest pleasant surprise for me this year...

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
As a Freshmen Gabby has the Best Low Post Moves of any UConn player in recent memory. Just think, she never played power forward or center before joining UConn. She's a tremendous talent, and I can't wait until she practices her outside shooting in the off season. We'll probably see a remarkable improvement like Moriah has had this year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Gabby is great and it is fun to watch her coming on as of late. She just keeps getting better and better.

Kia, however, has other worldly poise and BBIQ for a freshman. Next game take a play or two just to key in on her. She's a basketball machine.

As good as they both are, I think that neither are anywhere near their peak potential yet. If you are a UConn opponent, that should worry you.

Reaction Score
As a Freshmen Gabby has the Best Low Post Moves of any UConn player in recent memory. Just think, she never played power forward or center before joining UConn. She's a tremendous talent, and I can't wait until she practices her outside shooting in the off season. We'll probably see a remarkable improvement like Moriah has had this year.
I think you're right, Gabby's outside shot and pull-up jumper will come, and that will make her a fantastic player. But I am just amazed at what she does now. Her energy, fluidity, and touch around the basket are unteachable skills. UConn will be even more loaded with talent next year, but no bench will be able to hold Gabby.

Reaction Score

z

Kaleena lead the team in scoring as a freshman... coming off the bench 37 of 38 games.

Curious why you put Breanna in the category of freshman that were "hideous, lost, tentative, confused" as freshman. Breanna lead the team in blocks and was second on the team in PPG and RPG... and was the Final Four MOP.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Kia and Gabby will make a bunch of Freshman stat lists for UConn, though Kia's likely place is a lot easier to project than Gabby's because Gabby's averages have been changing dramatically lately.

Kia: will finish #1 in assists by 6 over Renee at current rate, tied for #4 in steals, and #7 in points.

Gabby: will finish #3 in rebounds at either the current 6.3 rpg rate or if she ups it even to 9 rpg in remaining 17 games but will be #1 if she gets 9.7 rpg the rest of way, #10 on steals list, and would need to average 10.5 ppg the rest of way to make the points list.

Reaction Score
Your favorite sports team is like an analogy to your family. You love them all equally for what makes them special. But the athleticism that Gabby brings every day is friggin infectious. Her energy just engages me a little more intently.

I'll say the same things about MoJo and Kia Nurse, as well. This year's team has sooo many talented, high BB IQ pieces up and down the bench. But even on this team, Gabby, MoJo and Kia are different (even though they are young)

I never make predictions ever; been burned and disappointed way too many times. But I really don't have doubts about this team or the young players' ability to rise up for big games -- whether they be South Carolina or the Final Four.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

z

I am really tempted to say how quickly we forget & pointing to Breanna Stewart’s (freshman) performance as MOP of the final four in 2013 is way too obvious. Gabby and Kia are certainly doing well as freshman but so have other recent freshman namely: “Big shot” Bria, Stephanie Dolson and Morgan.
Dolson and Hartley were inserted into the starting lineup as freshman. Bria earned the name Big Shot in only the fourth game of the season by drilling a three point shot against Baylor (Simms and Griner) with the score tied at 60 an 2 minutes left in the game. Keep in mind that Maya the magnificent was on the floor having a typical 30 point game but Bria took and made that shot. UCONN won 64 to 63. That same UCONN team with Bria and Stephanie as starters beat ND three times that year and Baylor once-ND and Baylor were final 4 teams.
Morgan Tuck (freshman) 2013 National Semi-Final from the 12:47- 12:32 (if you have the video) mark of the 1st half, pulled off the 2nd greatest defense sequence in the history on women’s college basketball. In those 15 seconds Morgan switched off, Natalie Achonwa to meet Jewel Lloyd- who had gotten around KML- at the top of the key (Switch #1) . Morgan stayed with Jewel to the basket and got a piece of Jewel’s shot (Block #1). Morgan fell out of bounds under the basket and the rebound comes off weakside to Kayla McBride. Morgan quickly jumps back inbounds and blocks Kayla’s shot at the rim (Switch #2) & (Block #2). The ball rebounds long beyond the three point line to Jewel. Morgan goes out to challenge Jewel (Switch #3) long enough for jewel to hesitate Morgan switches back to Achonwa (Switch #4). Jewel passes to Skylar. Jefferson and Faris double Skylar leaving Jewel open at the 3 point line. Morgan switches off Achonwa (Switch #5) again & challenges Jewel at the three point line. Jewel drives, Morgan covers and as Jewel attempts to pass/shot at the basket, Morgan swats the ball off Achonwa (Block #3) out of bounds. UCONN ball!!!!! That is 5 defensive switches & 3 Block shots to cover 3 All-American players in a 15 second span by a freshman.
Even more recently that the two paragraphs above Saniya hit some big shots to right the ship against Stanford as a freshman. I am very impressed by how well Gabby and Kia are doing but I don’t think they have achieved any memorable moments yet.. So let’s keep watching.

Reaction Score
Kaleena lead the team in scoring as a freshman... coming off the bench 37 of 38 games.

Curious why you put Breanna in the category of freshman that were "hideous, lost, tentative, confused" as freshman. Breanna lead the team in blocks and was second on the team in PPG and RPG... and was the Final Four MOP.

Breanna had a wonderful ending to her frosh season And overall she put up some nice numbers.

However she had her "moments". At one point during a home game at HCC she was sooo bad it was laughable. I actually turned to my wife and said that she was at that moment the worst player on the floor. Geno soon agreed by yanking her.. I can't remember at any point this season I have felt that way about Nurse or Williams. Especially Kia.

Like another poster noted, i have have come to watch especially Kia in isolation to see how smartly she moves about the floor.

z

Reaction Score
I am really tempted to say how quickly we forget & pointing to Breanna Stewart’s (freshman) performance as MOP of the final four in 2013 is way too obvious. Gabby and Kia are certainly doing well as freshman but so have other recent freshman namely: “Big shot” Bria, Stephanie Dolson and Morgan.
Dolson and Hartley were inserted into the starting lineup as freshman. Bria earned the name Big Shot in only the fourth game of the season by drilling a three point shot against Baylor (Simms and Griner) with the score tied at 60 an 2 minutes left in the game. Keep in mind that Maya the magnificent was on the floor having a typical 30 point game but Bria took and made that shot. UCONN won 64 to 63. That same UCONN team with Bria and Stephanie as starters beat ND three times that year and Baylor once-ND and Baylor were final 4 teams.
Morgan Tuck (freshman) 2013 National Semi-Final from the 12:47- 12:32 (if you have the video) mark of the 1st half, pulled off the 2nd greatest defense sequence in the history on women’s college basketball. In those 15 seconds Morgan switched off, Natalie Achonwa to meet Jewel Lloyd- who had gotten around KML- at the top of the key (Switch #1) . Morgan stayed with Jewel to the basket and got a piece of Jewel’s shot (Block #1). Morgan fell out of bounds under the basket and the rebound comes off weakside to Kayla McBride. Morgan quickly jumps back inbounds and blocks Kayla’s shot at the rim (Switch #2) & (Block #2). The ball rebounds long beyond the three point line to Jewel. Morgan goes out to challenge Jewel (Switch #3) long enough for jewel to hesitate Morgan switches back to Achonwa (Switch #4). Jewel passes to Skylar. Jefferson and Faris double Skylar leaving Jewel open at the 3 point line. Morgan switches off Achonwa (Switch #5) again & challenges Jewel at the three point line. Jewel drives, Morgan covers and as Jewel attempts to pass/shot at the basket, Morgan swats the ball off Achonwa (Block #3) out of bounds. UCONN ball!!!!! That is 5 defensive switches & 3 Block shots to cover 3 All-American players in a 15 second span by a freshman.
Even more recently that the two paragraphs above Saniya hit some big shots to right the ship against Stanford as a freshman. I am very impressed by how well Gabby and Kia are doing but I don’t think they have achieved any memorable moments yet.. So let’s keep watching.
Is there any video of this Morgan Tuck sequence?

Reaction Score
Sales was a pretty good freshman too!
Gabby reminds me of Sales as a freshman, in terms of outrageous talent. Sales was further along in terms of BB IQ, playing within the system, etc, but she wasn't learning a new position either, I guess. As a freshman bench player Sales came in, held down the fort, and kept UCONN in the 1995 NC game for a long stretch in the first half when Lobo, Rizzotti and Wolters were all on the bench with foul trouble. Then she was instrumental in winning the game in the second half. Gabby is a long way from having a moment like that - yet.

Reaction Score

Memorable moments? Well, we heard Geno say that whenever Gabby steps on the floor she immediately impacts the game. Rather memorable comment, especially since it was made by Geno.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is there any video of this Morgan Tuck sequence?
I am still learning and definitely do not know how to post video here.
Here is a Youtube link. FF to the 12:47 mark of the first half . Score should be tied @8.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Memorable moments? Well, we heard Geno say that whenever Gabby steps on the floor she immediately impacts the game. Rather memorable comment, especially since it was made by Geno.

Boonton,
memorable moments was perhaps a clumsy choice of words on my part and if Geno said it then I definitely believe it. So no doubt, Gabby impacts the game!

The elements of memorable moment that I am trying to convey involve a quality opponent usually where the game is hanging in the balance. In my opinion Gabby has not had one of those memorable moments yet. Kia on ther other hand set the tone of the game by driving hard to the basket at ND and hit some jumper late in that game to stretch the lead and seal the game away.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As a Freshmen Gabby has the Best Low Post Moves of any UConn player in recent memory.
Ummm no. Tuck for one has tons more post moves than Williams. In fact Williams probably only has a couple. HOWEVER, her athleticism, her first couple of steps, her leaping ability and the quickness in her leap means she really doesn't need all that many right now. Basically, I can do this and you can't stop me. Hasn't really had any reason to change it up much.

Reaction Score
I am still learning and definitely do not know how to post video here.
Here is a Youtube link. FF to the 12:47 mark of the first half . Score should be tied @8.

Thanks for the clip. Morgan's sequence of play here is impressive, but the well-explained observation and analysis in your post are impressive too.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Ummm no. Tuck for one has tons more post moves than Williams. In fact Williams probably only has a couple. HOWEVER, her athleticism, her first couple of steps, her leaping ability and the quickness in her leap means she really doesn't need all that many right now. Basically, I can do this and you can't stop me. Hasn't really had any reason to change it up much.
Hard to think what anybody's going to be able to do to stop that move unless they can convince Kiah to help them out against her teammate. Gabby is so quick when she steps around and into that little off-the-glass jumper that the defenders just can't get over to offer more than a wave.

Reaction Score
Breanna had a wonderful ending to her frosh season And overall she put up some nice numbers.

However she had her "moments". At one point during a home game at HCC she was sooo bad it was laughable. I actually turned to my wife and said that she was at that moment the worst player on the floor. Geno soon agreed by yanking her.. I can't remember at any point this season I have felt that way about Nurse or Williams. Especially Kia.

Like another poster noted, i have have come to watch especially Kia in isolation to see how smartly she moves about the floor.

z
Baylor game, I'm guessing ... I still cringe when I think about it. Of course it worked out extremely well in the end ...

Reaction Score
I don't want anyone to take this wrong and I do think both Kia and Gabby are both great players. They both bring their own style, Kia a hardnosed in your face. defensive style and Gabby a high energy player with great leaping ability and moves in the post. I just want to see what Gabby can bring in big games against quality opponents who have big front lines. I can't wait for SC game and NCAA tourney to begin to see how they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom