Uneven revenue distribution model picking up steam in the ACC? (The Clemson Insider) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Uneven revenue distribution model picking up steam in the ACC? (The Clemson Insider)

Reaction Score
Former Georgia Head Coach Jim Donnan

“What we're going towards, and, the only thing I'll tell you about this, when I tell you a sure thing, I back it," Donnan said. "Sure thing, there are going to be two, at least 20-team conferences between the Big Ten and the SEC."

“Miami, Florida State, Clemson, and North Carolina are going to be in the SEC pretty quick," Donnan said. "North Carolina's basketball helps them a lot along those lines but those four teams are going to be coming in here”

Interestingly...the four schools that have now gone public about the need for revenue redistribution are FSU, Clemson, Miami, and UNC.

It is fun conjecture, but the mechanism for breaking up the ACC is very murky.

Reaction Score
UNC has too many Olympic sports that would have no conference home if they join the SEC. The B1G would give all the UNC Olympic sports a conference home.

Reaction Score
UNC has too many Olympic sports that would have no conference home if they join the SEC. The B1G would give all the UNC Olympic sports a conference home.

True that Field Hockey and Men and Women's Lacrosse would have no home....unless you count the SouthEastern Lacrosse Conference (Club)...

Alabama, Auburn, Florida, FSU, Georgia, GT, South Carolina, USF, Vanderbilt play in the SELC.

And UNC does have Wrestling, which is not an ACC nor SEC sport...but is a B1G sport for some programs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Finding homes for those sports won't have much impact on where UNC ends up. The SEC is to much of a home run for the football team revenue wise that the B1G would have offer way more than the SEC or the state brokers a deal that lands NCSU in the SEC with us going to the B1G

Reaction Score
Former Georgia Head Coach Jim Donnan

“What we're going towards, and, the only thing I'll tell you about this, when I tell you a sure thing, I back it," Donnan said. "Sure thing, there are going to be two, at least 20-team conferences between the Big Ten and the SEC."

“Miami, Florida State, Clemson, and North Carolina are going to be in the SEC pretty quick," Donnan said. "North Carolina's basketball helps them a lot along those lines but those four teams are going to be coming in here”

Interestingly...the four schools that have now gone public about the need for revenue redistribution are FSU, Clemson, Miami, and UNC.

It is fun conjecture, but the mechanism for breaking up the ACC is very murky.
Jim Donnan said this? Makes sense. He was often characterized as "Dumbo" as a head coach.

Reaction Score
True that Field Hockey and Men and Women's Lacrosse would have no home....unless you count the SouthEastern Lacrosse Conference (Club)...

Alabama, Auburn, Florida, FSU, Georgia, GT, South Carolina, USF, Vanderbilt play in the SELC.

And UNC does have Wrestling, which is not an ACC nor SEC sport...but is a B1G sport for some programs.

Club Lacrosse is not NCAA D1 Lacrosse. No SEC team sponsors men's lacrosse at that level.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Sherlock...I did so post...

Yes.

But the thing is your post implied that it would be a acceptable to drop a top NCAA program down to a club level.

I realize that you are frustrated with FSU's current lot in life and are hoping to find a way out (welcome to the club). You do however need to realize that many of the peer schools that are included in this mental exercise (proposing hypothetical alternatives) may find value in things that FSU does not value.

Reaction Score
My post implied nothing. Just listed facts.

How you, yourself, react to posted facts is a function of your viewpoint which is a function of your vantage point. you assume motivations.

You surmise my frustration with "FSU's current lot" without any direct knowledge...a projection, if you will. I assure you that I won't be alive to see any changes and that I am at peace. For me, conference realignment is entertainment and an intellectual exercise devoid of emotion.

My current goal is to live to watch another season.

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
LONG SHOT: ESPN, ACC, And Pac-12 Talked About A Joint TV Deal. Could It Really Happen?

Not long after USC and UCLA left the Pac-12 for the Big Ten the ACC who has a history of not rushing into things wondered if there was a chance, they might be the next conference that would be poached. The rumors began back then that Clemson and Florida State were not happy with the ever-growing gap between the SEC, Big Ten, and ACC.

ACC commissioner Jim Phillips and Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff met to talk about the future and how both conferences might work out a way they could keep their members happy. Enter an unlikely partner to these conversations a couple of program executives from ESPN.

Some in the conference were upset that not only were they far behind the Big Ten and SEC, but they were not that far ahead of the Big 12. Meanwhile, out West, the Pac-12 was fending the Big-12 who is ready to poach members while wondering if the Big Ten would snag a couple more of schools to join with UCLA and USC.

So, the ACC and the Pac-12 began to look at ways they could perhaps form a partnership that could gain the dollars needed to keep their members happy enough to stay put and not bolt to another conference.

The Sports Illustrated reporting team of Ross Dellenger and Pat Forde was the duo that broke the story about the conversations and what was discussed by the group. There would not be a merger or an alliance but a proposed partnership where the ESPN-owned ACC Network — or a renamed entity combining the two leagues — has exclusive rights to air Pac-12 games to West Coast through multiple ESPN cable providers. The deal between the Pac-12 and the ACC would be a media rights agreement and likely take the place of the existing Pac-12 Network.

So, why would ESPN COULD want this partnership for the ACC and the Pac-12 happen?

The ACC Network has at present about 48 million subscribers and could benefit from the number of homes they could add in Arizona, California, Colorado, Oregon, Utah and Washington.

The ACC Network is a revenue share deal with both sides equal 50–50 partners, meaning they boost ad prices for spots on Pac-12 games airing on the network, plus they get a monthly cable fee that could be boosted. Add to that putting some of the content on ESPN+ where again revenue can be shared the network keeps the present contract intact but can generate more cash with premier programming.

If ever came to pass it would solve a couple of problems first the ACC could by money generated from network exposure add money to their ESPN deal while Pac-12 would benefit by getting enough cash to satisfy their members in hopes of keeping the conference from losing members to the rival Big 12. Both the ACC’s Phillips and the Pac-12’s Kliavkof believed the idea had merit but knew it would take a great deal of time to pull together plus there would be plenty of hurdles to overcome.

A partnership could take a year or more to work out and there are plenty of things that could kill it before it ever made to the vote by the members. But when you are under attack you go off script and that is what the ACC and Pac-12 are doing.

Ah, ESPN. The snake in the Garden of Eden.

Reaction Score

You should let The ACC know that they don't have wrestling, because for some reason they hosted a conference championship for it over the weekend...

Reaction Score
You should let The ACC know that they don't have wrestling, because for some reason they hosted a conference championship for it over the weekend...

6 schools have restling....7 have field hockey.

When less than one half of schools have the sport, is it truly a conference sport ?

Reaction Score

When less than one half of schools have the sport, is it truly a conference sport ?
I’d argue that if they take an auto-bid to an NCAA Tournament/Championship event - it’s a conference sport.

Reaction Score
The ACC has five schools with Men's Lacrosse and no auto bid. They need one more program.

10 teams will be automatic qualifiers (AQ) and those 10 will all be conference champions. Remember, the ACC does not have an AQ because a conference needed six teams to qualify for an AQ. The ACC only has five teams. With 10 AQ’s, that leaves eight spots for at-large selections.

Reaction Score

This wasn't a question of semantics. The ACC awards a season championship, tournament championship, and individual champions. So yeah, it's an ACC Sport. Would it be considered more representative of the conference if every school had a team? Clearly, but with Title 9 that is not realistic for men's sports.

I'm from PA. I grew up with wrestling and I love the sport. Probably feel the same way about it as you do about baseball. Selfishly I would love to add VPI and NCSU to The B1G because they have good wrestling programs and better football programs than UNC/UVA. That said, I know that the likelihood of that combo coming in is probably nil.

At the end of the day, I would be thrilled to add UNC/UVA for their strong collection of athletic programs as well as their great demographics for future recruiting of students and student athletes. I'd 100% have a spot for FSU for the same reasons if the Noles can come around to the idea of not being in a traditional "Southern Conference" and the academic side of The B1G can realize that these are athletic conferences of peer universities not teammates for some inter conference Academic Bowl. (Not a knocking FSU as they are on par with the majority of the conference IMO)

Reaction Score
Of course I would jump on the opportunity to join the B1G in all sports, but would sorely miss Hockey East. Being able to drive less than four hours to all opponents (save Maine) from Hartford is great. So far I've been to all but three (UVM, UNH, UML), even Maine which is a great hockey environment.

Well, as I always tell my kids..............................tradeoffs.

Reaction Score
Of course I would jump on the opportunity to join the B1G in all sports, but would sorely miss Hockey East. Being able to drive less than four hours to all opponents (save Maine) from Hartford is great. So far I've been to all but three (UVM, UNH, UML), even Maine which is a great hockey environment.

Well, as I always tell my kids..............................tradeoffs.
The B1G has been trying to grow its hockey since Penn State's new arena allowed the team to move up and I believe allowed the B1G to have enough schools to make it a conference sport. We just built a new arena too and have good ice hockey teams, so that's just another example of how that conference is the best P5 fit for us.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The B1G has been trying to grow its hockey since Penn State's new arena allowed the team to move up and I believe allowed the B1G to have enough schools to make it a conference sport. We just built a new arena too and have good ice hockey teams, so that's just another example of how that conference is the best P5 fit for us.
I’m convinced. Now you just need to convince them.

Reaction Score
Follow-up video and I don't remember which thread his first video was in. FSU fan.

Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC take charge and find 4 additional members to vote to dissolve. I don't know if 8 is enough to dissolve but that's his story.

He focuses on the big money members paying the rest to cover their loss of revenue

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My take on this video is that this guy is trying to start a grass roots movement to try to shame a couple of schools into voting for their own demise.

He very well may be correct that an additional four votes is all that would be needed. The problem here is the schools left behind will obviously see the image and therefore value of the conference greatly diminished. Notre Dame (if they do get a full vote) would only vote yes if they are prepared to give up independence and join the B1G (why would they vote to receive less money from other sports). BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Wake and Louisville all have to believe they will be also rans if this happens while Duke, Va Tech, Ga Tech and NC St would know they'd likely be competing with each other for maybe a coupe of spots and there would be no reason to be confident their school would be considered. I think Virginia is the only school (outside of the named four) who would believe they have a solid chance at ending up in one of the top two conferences.

For the vote to work (to dissolve the GOR) a couple of schools would have to be willing to play Russian Roulette knowing there are fewer empty chambers than there are bullets.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Follow-up video and I don't remember which thread his first video was in. FSU fan.

Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC take charge and find 4 additional members to vote to dissolve. I don't know if 8 is enough to dissolve but that's his story.

He focuses on the big money members paying the rest to cover their loss of revenue

You’d need 2/3 vote so 10 schools that would want to dissolve. Not going to happen

Reaction Score
My take on this video is that this guy is trying to start a grass roots movement to try to shame a couple of schools into voting for their own demise.

He very well may be correct that an additional four votes is all that would be needed. The problem here is the schools left behind will obviously see the image and therefore value of the conference greatly diminished. Notre Dame (if they do get a full vote) would only vote yes if they are prepared to give up independence and join the B1G (why would they vote to receive less money from other sports). BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Wake and Louisville all have to believe they will be also rans if this happens while Duke, Va Tech, Ga Tech and NC St would know they'd likely be competing with each other for maybe a coupe of spots and there would be no reason to be confident their school would be considered. I think Virginia is the only school (outside of the named four) who would believe they have a solid chance at ending up in one of the top two conferences.

For the vote to work (to dissolve the GOR) a couple of schools would have to be willing to play Russian Roulette knowing there are fewer empty chambers than there are bullets.
I'm not a lawyer, but that video sounds like collusion.

Reaction Score
We know that five schools have come out publicly for uneven conference distributions based on media value brought in...FSU, Miami, Clemson, North Carolina, and Louisville...

BC, Syracuse, GT, Duke, Wake will fight that to their last breath (unless eat what you kill extends to BB credits).

VT, Virginia, NC State..and the rest..????

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If I'm Cuse, Wake, Pitt or any other also ran in the ACC, I tell FSU and Clemson that they better plan to honor the current deal or be prepared to pay the entirety of the exit fees and full GOR Terms. There will be zero negotiation. These lower value ACC Schools know full well that FSU, Clemson, and a few others aren't sticking around post 2036 regardless of whatever concessions that they might give those teams now.

If they can force the full term of the contract, they will collect more money than they are worth and not have to worry about scheduling for another 13 years. The FSU and Clemson Admins were dumb enough to sign the deal with ESPN knowing what it entailed. Unfortunately for them they will likely have to live up that mistake for a long time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom