Underwood to Illinois | The Boneyard

Underwood to Illinois

Reaction Score
This is quite a head scratcher. Guy finally gets his shot at the big time at OSU and has a pretty damn good year. Then parlays that into a job at Illinois after one year?? Is that really a step up? Kind of crazy how transient the world of college basketball has become.

Reaction Score
Strange move I agree. $$$$$ I guess.

Where is his background from that I do not know?

Reaction Score
He was very underpaid at OKSt. Someone on Twitter I read said they wouldn't be surprised if his salary tripled. *Edit* ESPN reports it is a straight tripling of his salary, from 1 million at OK St this year to 3 million at Illinois. Have to figure even if he used leverage at OK St they may not have matched it.

Reaction Score
Strange move I agree. $$$$$ I guess.

Where is his background from that I do not know?

He previously coached at Stephen F Austin and was an assistant at K State under Weber I think.

Reaction Score
He was very underpaid at OKSt. Someone on Twitter I read said they wouldn't be surprised if his salary tripled. *Edit* ESPN reports it is a straight tripling of his salary, from 1 million at OK St this year to 3 million at Illinois. Have to figure even if he used leverage at OK St they may not have matched it.
Well, I guess that's your answer. If Ok State is only willing to pay their coach a million bucks, this guy won't be the last one to use it as a stepping stone. That's pretty lame.

Reaction Score
He previously coached at Stephen F Austin and was an assistant at K State under Weber I think.

Sorry I meant where he went to school and grew up. Yeah I knew Austin but did not know about Weber. Weber could be the tie on then?

Reaction Score
I think it's an atttactive job if you can recruit Chicago and St Louis with some success.

This is quite a head scratcher. Guy finally gets his shot at the big time at OSU and has a pretty damn good year. Then parlays that into a job at Illinois after one year?? Is that really a step up? Kind of crazy how transient the world of college basketball has become.

Reaction Score
Illinois is a better job than Ok. State....not by much because they are both pretty $hitty

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Pretty much everyone who coached at a successful B-10 hoops school has said that Illinois is the best situation in the conference. The theory is that doing a good job of recruiting Chicago (doesn't even need to be great) is enough to be ranked every year.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
The racket that is the NCAA continues, coach one year then leave but players have to sit a year.

Reaction Score
He is a good coach; his teams at SF Austin were great and Okla St was a lot of fun to watch. If he can recruit Chicago and get "his" players, he could create a monster there.

Reaction Score
Funniest thing was some Jersey dude calling into Francessa in early Jan talking up Rutty because they have a good record, playing no one. They ended up bottom of B1G 3-15.

Could be a good move for Steve Pikiell if he can get them to tourney in next 2-3 years and then get a real job like BCU or Pitt.

Sure, and if Rutgers can recruit NYC they will be a powerhouse too.

Reaction Score
Funniest thing was some Jersey dude calling into Francessa in early Jan talking up Rutty because they have a good record, playing no one. They ended up bottom of B1G 3-15.

Could be a good move for Steve Pikiell if he can get them to tourney in next 2-3 years and then get a real job like BCU or Pitt.

Rutgers has to have the shortest P5 college basketball wiki I have ever seen... Anyways the last time they made the tournament was in 1991 which was 4 years before they joined the Big East for basketball :D.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Pretty much everyone who coached at a successful B-10 hoops school has said that Illinois is the best situation in the conference. The theory is that doing a good job of recruiting Chicago (doesn't even need to be great) is enough to be ranked every year.
Except nobody from Illinois has been able to recruit Chicago since the Deon Thomas thing.

Still think it's a great job – high upside without the pressure of Indiana nor the academic restrictions of Michigan – but there are still fences that need obvious mending between Champaign and Chicago. It'll be interesting to see who Underwood hires as his assistants.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
the last time they made the tournament was in 1991 which was 4 years before they joined the Big East for basketball :D.

Holy crap...really? I mean, I didn't know they were on THAT level of futility.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Big 10 has a lot of money

Reaction Score
I know no one really thinks of Illinois as a powerhouse or whatever but it's sneakily a very good job. They have the 10th most appearances of any team in the AP Poll

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom