Undersized at the 3, Crowded at the 4 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Undersized at the 3, Crowded at the 4

Reaction Score
Jeez I wish we could be more like our 2014 team when Herculean Monster muscle Freshman Amida Brimah, Phil "Charles Atlas" Nolan, and Deandre "Human Growth Hormone" Daniels comprised our 4 and 5 front line rotation and out muscled and Body Slammed the front lines of the biggest teams in the country en route to a title.

I miss that interior strength!

I don't think thats his point. He's talking about not having a Hamilton / Giffey type to defend swing forwards. Maybe Sid becomes that guy.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I agree. This board keeps saying not to worry as there are no good swings in the American. Well should be interesting to see how we defend Brandon Randolph and Terrence Mann. Iowa totally exposed the four guard line up. Hopefully Sid can step in and defend mobile forwards as Polley isn't quick enough and Tarrin doesn't have enough length.

If Sid is as good a shot blocker as Jalen makes him out to be, that should help.

1543332124696.png

Eh...he's a pacifist, recluse, and more of a baseball fan. Bang him around a little and they should be okay.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I don't think thats his point. He's talking about not having a Hamilton / Giffey type to defend swing forwards. Maybe Sid becomes that guy.

I dont see that as a big issue.

Tarin Smith and Vital are 2 of our 3 best defenders. And despite possibly giving up a couple inches to opposing swings, their defensive results would be better than Polley's (have to reserve judgement on Wilson until he sees court time).

Good D overcomes height. Ask the Harrison twins.

Reaction Score
Sid is nowhere near 6'8 and he's impossibly skinny.

Yes, but he is very explosive and plays well above the rim. That will help us almost immediately despite his lack of strength and other weaknesses.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
That's a really small sample size to be making any definitive conclusions. Overall I like what Polley's given us a little more, and if you take him off the court for CV then you're either playing someone out of position at the 4, or putting a far inferior player at that position. That's why I'd rather Sid plays the 3.

given we haven't seen Sid play at all this year there's no way we can determine he's far inferior at the 4. And when the guy we've trusted to lead our program watches him everyday in practice calls him more of a smaller 4 rather than a 3 I'm inclined to trust his plan

Reaction Score
Jeez I wish we could be more like our 2014 team when Herculean Monster muscle Freshman Amida Brimah, Phil "Charles Atlas" Nolan, and Deandre "Human Growth Hormone" Daniels comprised our 4 and 5 front line rotation and out muscled and Body Slammed the front lines of the biggest teams in the country en route to a title.

I miss that interior strength!
We may be a little lacking at the 5 but as Sphinx pointed out we are loaded at the 4. We basically have the college versions of Barkley, Malone, Webber, and Rodman.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
A fair question I forgot to ask, "How many NC's has UConn won playing a small forward shorter than the opponent's point guard (which, given the current rotation, will be the case in at least half our remaining games.)
A fairer question would be to ask what your expectations for UConn are this season? If it is a national title, I think you'll be a wee bit disappointed come April.

Reaction Score
I dont see that as a big issue.

Tarin Smith and Vital are 2 of our 3 best defenders. And despite possibly giving up a couple inches to opposing swings, their defensive results would be better than Polley's (have to reserve judgement on Wilson until he sees court time).

Good D overcomes height. Ask the Harrison twins.

A Giffey would have defended Tyler Cook way better than Polley or Smith.

I'm not even a Giffey homer and can see how huge he would be on this team.

Last edited:

August_West

Reaction Score
A Giffey would have defended Tyler Cook way better than Polley or Smith.

I'm not even a Giffey homer and could see how huge he would be on this team.

I am a Giffey homer and of course he wouldve.

Hasheem Thabeet would be huge on this team too.

How about Donyell Marshall?

Al Sharpton?

Reaction Score
I am a Giffey homer and of course he wouldve.

Hasheem Thabeet would be huge on this team too.

How about Donyell Marshall?

Al Sharpton?
Arne Duncan down low, Robert Reich to get under the guards defensively.

Reaction Score
I agree. This board keeps saying not to worry as there are no good swings in the American. Well should be interesting to see how we defend Brandon Randolph and Terrence Mann. Iowa totally exposed the four guard line up. Hopefully Sid can step in and defend mobile forwards as Polley isn't quick enough and Tarrin doesn't have enough length.

If Sid is as good a shot blocker as Jalen makes him out to be, that should help what he lacks in strength.
We had no big that could stay in front of Tyler Cook for Iowa. Whaley was hurt and Polley, Yakwe, Cobb all got beat off the dribble when trying to cover him. When we went to the 4 guard lineup is the time we made our push. I'm not sure why fans want to shoehorn in a tradition lineup when we have subpar big talent upfront. We have teams like Villanova, Loyola-Chicago going to the final four last year and Golden State winning with small line-ups(even before Durant got there). So let's just put the best 5 we can on the court and try to win. Remember bigs have to cover our guards too so that is an advantage for us.

Reaction Score
We had no big that could stay in front of Tyler Cook for Iowa. Whaley was hurt and Polley, Yakwe, Cobb all got beat off the dribble when trying to cover him. When we went to the 4 guard lineup is the time we made our push. I'm not sure why fans want to shoehorn in a tradition lineup when we have subpar big talent upfront. We have teams like Villanova, Loyola-Chicago going to the final four last year and Golden State winning with small line-ups(even before Durant got there). So let's just put the best 5 we can on the court and try to win. Remember bigs have to cover our guards too so that is an advantage for us.

Tyler Cook looked like he was playing a high school team when we went to the four guard and Tarrin was D'ing him with no secondary help. Our bigs despite being a lot of them are all plodders. Look, I love the 4 guard, but it'd be nice to have something to replace it with to defend big and fast. It remains to be seen, because at least we won't be playing a Cook and Iowa any time soon and with what Sid can bring to the table. Not sure why this is being argued so defiantly, as OP made a valid point, but I guess thats just how he/she and I see it.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Come conference play, assuming full health, I see a lineup something like this:

Starters
G- Gilbert
G- JAdams
G- Vital
F- Polley
C- Carlton

Bench
G- Smith (Starters minutes)
F- Wilson (15-20 mins)
C- Cobb (10-15 mins)
G- BAdams (5-10 mins)
F- Mamadou (5-10 mins)
F- Whaley (3-5 mins if needed/DNP)
C- Yakwe DNP
F- Kwint DNP

Reaction Score
Tyler Cook looked like he was playing a high school team when we went to the four guard and Tarrin was D'ing him with no secondary help. Our bigs despite being a lot of them are all plodders. Look, I love the 4 guard, but it'd be nice to have something to replace it with to defend big and fast. It remains to be seen, because at least we won't be playing a Cook and Iowa any time soon. Not sure why this is being argues do defiantly. OP made a valid point.
We have answered this with lacking talent at the bigs. We have to play our best players and they are presently Guards and Wings. If Diarra comes back healthy and plays smart you will see a more traditional lineup but until then I don't think we will do that much.

Reaction Score
We have answered this with lacking talent at the bigs. We have to play our best players and they are presently Guards and Wings. If Diarra comes back healthy and plays smart you will see a more traditional lineup but until then I don't think we will do that much.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, we're arguing that we don't have quick wings. You're saying we do. Diarra is not the point. Diarra is more of a Yakwe, Cobb type defensively. Polley is the closest we have to a wing and he's not there yet to guard mobile bigs.

Actually Kwintin is the closest we have in athleticism, but well you know....

August_West

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what you're talking about, we're arguing that we don't have quick wings. You're saying we do. Diarra is not the point. Diarra is more of a Yakwe, Cobb type defensively. Polley is the closest we have to a wing and he's not there yet to guard mobile bigs.

Actually Kwintin is the closest we have in athleticism, but well you know....
Nah Diarra is pretty athletic. He has the quick twitch muscle response thing happening

Reaction Score
This guy makes a good point. Why aren’t we taking minutes from CV, Smith, Jalen & AG so we can give Yakwe & Kwinton more time on the floor as our only healthy “traditional” 4’s

Thats not the point at all. Its about traditional 3's not 4's. Thats how far off you are in your ascertainment. But I'm going to give up now, so don't fret.

Reaction Score
Come conference play, assuming full health, I see a lineup something like this:

Starters
G- Gilbert
G- JAdams
G- Vital
F- Polley
C- Carlton

Bench
G- Smith (Starters minutes)
F- Wilson (15-20 mins)
C- Cobb (10-15 mins)
G- BAdams (5-10 mins)
F- Mamadou (5-10 mins)
F- Whaley (3-5 mins if needed/DNP)
C- Yakwe DNP
F- Kwint DNP

I see Wilson and BAdams getting more minutes as the season goes on.

I see Polley, Smith, and Vital get a slight decrease in minutes as the season goes on.

Reaction Score
Thats not the point at all. Its about traditional 3's not 4's. Thats how far off you are in your ascertainment. But I'm going to give up now, so don't fret.
It’s really a simple concept, if you play traditional 3’s you have to play traditional 4’s then don’t you? Because currently our “traditional 3’s” are playing the 4. Plug them in at 3 and you have to play ppl at the 4 still. You’re identifying a known issue with our roster where there isn’t a solution on the roster this moment...Additionally, playing traditional 3’s takes minutes away from the people I mentioned in the first post.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Sid at the three when we play big and at the four when we play small. The kid is an athletic freak and needs to be on the court to utilize his energy and athleticism. As Vital and Jalen said in the video he’s good at blocking shots and his shot has improved. Him providing speed on the wings when we run will be what we need. It’s also another 5 fouls if it comes to that. Him playing is great for the team

Reaction Score
A fairer question would be to ask what your expectations for UConn are this season? If it is a national title, I think you'll be a wee bit disappointed come April.

As will pretty much every team except one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom