Underrated US Cities | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Underrated US Cities

Reaction Score
I agree with Providence. It gets crapped on and is a nice city. Terrific restaurants, good arts & music, even has some good breweries, especially Long Live Beer Works.

Burlington, Savannah, Charleston are terrific, but not underrated.

Kansas City is underrated. The Plaza area is really nice, and they have done a terrific job creating interesting spots for dining, bars, music etc. Long a center for Jazz and Blues music, and of course BBQ. Few cities have upgraded themselves the way it has over the last 20 years. Curious if @ZooCougar agrees.

Aiken, SC is quite nice. It's across the river from Augusta, GA. It is loaded with horse farms, and is an equestrian center. It has a really nice downtown area, lots of outdoor dining and it has become fairly young and vibrant, in part due to the growth of U SC - Aiken.

Worcester, MA is closing in on being underrated. It doesn't have a great rep, and still have some work to do. But the downtown is pretty decent, it has 3 colleges, several breweries sprung up, and now the Red Sox AAA team has moved in to Polar Park, which is going to include a new dining/bar area. It is a biotech hub, and given that it is still inexpensive, I think it will be a target of increased gentrification. Loads of gorgeous old homes.
Yes, I drove thru Saturday morning two weeks ago to get my first vaccination and it looked awesome with tons of families out walking, coffee shops restaurants etc...
Then I went a different way back to 90 and passed a bunch of bail bondsman.

Reaction Score
Yep, used to go there after work at the Rusty Scupper in early 90's. They poured very stiff drinks.

wasnt there a Coaches in Stamford as well back in the 90s at some point? I cant recall where it was located but remember going there a few times.

Reaction Score
i went to Rusty Scupper a few times as a kid for Easter, loved that buffet there.
I worked that Sunday buffet all the time back in the day.

In fact one Saturday late night at Murphy's Townhouse I almost got into a fight with one of my fellow Rusty Scupper employees. The next morning at Sunday brunch I went up to him to mend the fences. Apparently he was still drunk, told me to f---- off, I was a jerk and was still ready to fight.
So after my shift I went back over to him and told him to meet me in the parking garage underneath the restaurant.
He was a bigger guy and a bit nuts, so I decided to load my hand up with salt (a trick learned via a UConn fight I saw at Huskies!) and use this to level the playing field.
He came downstairs, now sober and apologized and offered to shake hands and forget about it.
I was happy I'd put the salt in my left.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
wasnt there a Coaches in Stamford as well back in the 90s at some point? I cant recall where it was located but remember going there a few times.
It was in between the two Iranian carpet dealers on Atlantic St, diagonally across from Tacos Guadalajara.I never went. I was living in Norwalk when it opened and was either in Quincy or Pittsburgh when it closed.

Reaction Score
So, I moved to the Denver Metro area 24 years ago-I was up to that point a life long Connecticut resident. Denver all the perks of the really big cities like pro sports, live music - plays - great dining. I used to go see the Yanks/Mets/Sox and it was an all day event. Now I can take the park n ride. We always make the news when we have a blizzard, but the weather is really incredible. Of course an hour away you have the mountains and 1/2 hour, Red Rocks.

Reaction Score
Santa Cruz is beautiful - great drive from San Fran too - but it feels like you're about to step into a Dateline episode.

Something about being in Santa Cruz just makes me feel cool for some reason. I guess its just all my childhood memories of skateboards, surfboards and BMX bikes. Kids in Santa Cruz had the life back then. Maybe, they still do. I haven't been there in 20 years.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
He was a bigger guy and a bit nuts, so I decided to load my hand up with salt (a trick learned via a UConn fight I saw at Huskies!) and use this to level the playing field.
Be careful. That may work short term but you'd be in trouble if the fight wore on as shown in this cinematic masterpiece...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Something about being in Santa Cruz just makes me feel cool for some reason. I guess its just all my childhood memories of skateboards, surfboards and BMX bikes. Kids in Santa Cruz had the life back then. Maybe, they still do. I haven't been there in 20 years.

It was still cool about 10 years ago. I think I need a Lost Boys re-watch. Or maybe this "gem" of a movie, which I bought on DVD, because I'm in it for about 3 seconds.

Reaction Score
Be careful. That may work short term but you'd be in trouble if the fight wore on as shown in this cinematic masterpiece...

Good recall. Happily the unused hand-full was my lone attempt at the salt in eyes fight strategy. As mentioned, I was inspired by a 1986-ish event at Huskies when a 5'6"ish guy salted a football player, got a half dozen shots in and then ran out of the bar. Perhaps the inspiration for Bloodsport, yet obviously Van Damme's tormentor forgot the get outta there part.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
one day some years back, and hanging out in gg park with some pals near the haight-ash area, someone says 'hey, we're low on supply. we got to take a ride.'
im always up for a ride iffn im not doing the driving, so i was like 'great, where to?' 'santa cruz.' whattsa santa cruz? 'a local place for bud' (pre legalish bud times).
this i gotta see. how does it work?' apparently, everrbody but me, knew that you just roll down there, go into almost any non-branded gas station or convenience store, not act sketched out, and just ask. hokey smokes batman, i ain't in kansas anymore. it went down just like that as i was advised to keep my yankee mouth shut, and just look pretty. welcome to Surf City (2, it's a legal argument with Huntington Beach). over time, i spent enough time there to appreciate the nature, yet feel that life there is truly different somehow. homeless and big crime far beyond it's population profile, they're always yelling and marching aboot something. even coming from a sf perspective, it's a lot, hence the 'don't act sketched out' concern by the local merchants.
the whole sf peninsula area has a unique weirdness to it, and im certain that it's becuz, almost alone in the northern hemisphere, peak temps happen in september. heck, october is warmer than july. 'the coldest winter that i've ever spent was a summer in san francisco' (mebbe ol sam clemens said it). yup.
on the udder hand, santa cruz does have this:
surfer-statue-santa-cruz-california_.jpg

clearly, the sculptor was unfamiliar with board shorts. nice place to visit, but no way im living there either. it feels like everyone should be concealed carrying.

Reaction Score
That’s a feature.

Biggest negative is the weather.

The weather isn't bad. Not remotely.

The center of the country is not a feature - unless you love getting on a plane to do something for a weekend. Nobody here's talking about where to locate a business along interstate transit hubs or planning a convention. The location sucks - from someone that lived there. Goodness, people in KC will say the location sucks.

Reaction Score
I’m just going to use this as an opportunity to shill for my hometown, Milwaukee. Many east coasters I know don’t think to visit the Midwest but it’s a varied region that has a LOT to offer. Here’s a VERY quick rundown of things I think make Milwaukee stand out as a city… a truly underrated city. I tried to keep the list only to things you wouldn’t find in NE.

TL: DR version: there isn’t one… read this and I dare you not to want to visit.

Unique architecture – Milwaukee has done a great job of preserving the old and embracing the new. The city wasn’t as bad with urban renewal and modern population booms as to wipe out the old architecture, but as a modern thriving city has a lot of awesome new architecture to enjoy. We’re talking everything from well preserved Renaissance, Neo-renaissance, Victorian, etc styles to newer designs by modern architects like Santiago Calatrava’s first US project at the Milwaukee art museum and Frank Lloyd Wright.

milwaukee-art-museum-03.jpg

Harley Museum – This is NOT a museum that just caters to Harley riders. This is for everyone, especially people who love US industrial history and art. This is a true destination Museum.

Other Museums- The Milwaukee Art Museum has a surprisingly large collection and is home to a world renowned collection of German Expressionism (probably due to the strong German heritage of the city) but also many other 17th-20th central European and American artists and also hosts the highest level of traveling exhibits. But the city has a lot more to offer in the arts and culture as well, including world class orchestra, Opera, top rated traveling shows, etc.

Festivals- Already mentioned here are the festivals. It’s home to the largest music festival in the world, Summerfest. Literally you pay $17 (or some days bring 2 cans of food to get in Free) and you can see any band you want except for the nightly headliner for FREE. It is really ridiculous when you see the lineup that is better than a lot of the big music festivals you may already be familiar with. Beyond that there are cultural fests all spring/summer/fall. Whenever you go, there’s probably some festival going on.

summerfest.png

Sports -7 PGA/WPGA courses in the Milwaukee area including Whistling straights (home of Ryder Cup this year), Erin Hills (US Open 2017), Blackwolf Run, etc.

-Road America – Historical racetrack that hosts Indycar, NASCAR, American LeMans series, AMA Superbike, etc.

-Brewers/Bucks/Marquette -Brewers games are especially unique in that Brewers fans tailgate like southern college football fans. Catch you team playing in Milwaukee, walk around and randomly introduce yourself as an opposing fan on your first trip to the city and I guarantee you’ll be offered food/beverages/and a good light ribbing (maybe not even that). You will make friends, I promise. Miller Park (Now American Familiy Field) is a great park to watch a game too. Modern, comfortable, no bad seats, and a retractable roof if weather is bad.

Food/Beer/Distilleries -From way too many James Beard winners and nominees for a city it’s size to a wide variety of dining options, the food scene punches way above it’s weight… and you can actually get in to places and not take out a mortgage to eat. Beer is obviously central to the city culture and there are a strong number of microbreweries and brew pubs. One thing Milwaukee does great is TRADITIONAL beers. Yes you can find sours and fruity whateveryouwants, but if you appreciate beer as beer, this is the place. And of course you can always visit Miller Brewing too… but only if you’re interested from an industrial/large production point of view.

Water -Water is core to the city. Being right on lake Michigan shores is something you have to experience to understand. It’s like being at the ocean… but with fresh water… except when the weather is calm… or severe. Just trust me. The water can be a beautiful Caribbean turquoise color, or complete clear so you can see down 30 ft… or it can be rough with rollers great for surfing. There’s incredible beaches but you also have a premiere riverwalk downtown. San Antonio’s Riverwalk is like a patio with a water feature compared to Milwaukee’s. You can do boat tours, personal water sports, dinner cruises, sail on a tall ship, etc. And did I mention it’s fresh water? From the beaches to boating, it makes a HUGE difference. There’s also a lot of inland lakes nearby that are great for fishing and water sports without being over crowded (although sometimes the number of FIBs -Our friends from the south/Chicago area- can push that definition).

Milwaukee County Zoo is one of the nations top. Think level of San Diego/Bronx/etc.

Frozen Custard! -It’s like ice cream, but smoother. You don’t generally find good frozen custard outside of Wisconsin. Try it in Milwaukee for the real deal at one of the small local spots.

edit* I'd be remiss if I did not mention the cheese... because you know, Wisconsin. It really is incredible. You may say "Oh, but we can road trip to Vermont! You'd be right, great cheese there... but WI is a whole different level of depth, variety, and world class quality. Just trust me here... hit up the cheese bar downtown.

There’s a lot more to toffer, but like I said I tried to stick to things you can’t find in NE. And if nothing else, after spending a week in Milwaukee, you can always hop the Amtrak to visit that little city an hour and a half to the south for a day or two.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m just going to use this as an opportunity to shill for my hometown, Milwaukee. Many east coasters I know don’t think to visit the Midwest but it’s a varied region that has a LOT to offer. Here’s a VERY quick rundown of things I think make Milwaukee stand out as a city… a truly underrated city. I tried to keep the list only to things you wouldn’t find in NE.

Unique architecture – Milwaukee has done a great job of preserving the old and embracing the new. The city wasn’t as bad with urban renewal and modern population booms as to wipe out the old architecture, but as a modern thriving city has a lot of awesome new architecture to enjoy. We’re talking everything from well preserved Renaissance, Neo-renaissance, Victorian, etc styles to newer designs by modern architects like Santiago Calatrava’s first US project at the Milwaukee art museum and Frank Lloyd Wright.

View attachment 67123

Harley Museum – This is NOT a museum that just caters to Harley riders. This is for everyone, especially people who love US industrial history and art. This is a true destination Museum.

Other Museums- The Milwaukee Art Museum has a surprisingly large collection and is home to a world renowned collection of German Expressionism (probably due to the strong German heritage of the city) but also many other 17th-20th central European and American artists and also hosts the highest level of traveling exhibits. But the city has a lot more to offer in the arts and culture as well, including world class orchestra, Opera, top rated traveling shows, etc.

Festivals- Already mentioned here are the festivals. It’s home to the largest music festival in the world, Summerfest. Literally you pay $17 (or some days bring 2 cans of food to get in Free) and you can see any band you want except for the nightly headliner for FREE. It is really ridiculous when you see the lineup that is better than a lot of the big music festivals you may already be familiar with. Beyond that there are cultural fests all spring/summer/fall. Whenever you go, there’s probably some festival going on.

View attachment 67122

Sports -7 PGA/WPGA courses in the Milwaukee area including Whistling straights (home of Ryder Cup this year), Erin Hills (US Open 2017), Blackwolf Run, etc.

-Road America – Historical racetrack that hosts Indycar, NASCAR, American LeMans series, AMA Superbike, etc.

-Brewers/Bucks/Marquette -Brewers games are especially unique in that Brewers fans tailgate like southern college football fans. Catch you team playing in Milwaukee, walk around and randomly introduce yourself as an opposing fan on your first trip to the city and I guarantee you’ll be offered food/beverages/and a good light ribbing (maybe not even that). You will make friends, I promise. Miller Park (Now American Familiy Field) is a great park to watch a game too. Modern, comfortable, no bad seats, and a retractable roof if weather is bad.

Food/Beer/Distilleries -From way too many James Beard winners and nominees for a city it’s size to a wide variety of dining options, the food scene punches way above it’s weight… and you can actually get in to places and not take out a mortgage to eat. Beer is obviously central to the city culture and there are a strong number of microbreweries and brew pubs. One thing Milwaukee does great is TRADITIONAL beers. Yes you can find sours and fruity whateveryouwants, but if you appreciate beer as beer, this is the place. And of course you can always visit Miller Brewing too… but only if you’re interested from an industrial/large production point of view.

Water -Water is core to the city. Being right on lake Michigan shores is something you have to experience to understand. It’s like being at the ocean… but with fresh water… except when the weather is calm… or severe. Just trust me. The water can be a beautiful Caribbean turquoise color, or complete clear so you can see down 30 ft… or it can be rough with rollers great for surfing. There’s incredible beaches but you also have a premiere riverwalk downtown. San Antonio’s Riverwalk is like a patio with a water feature compared to Milwaukee’s. You can do boat tours, personal water sports, dinner cruises, sail on a tall ship, etc. And did I mention it’s fresh water? From the beaches to boating, it makes a HUGE difference. There’s also a lot of inland lakes nearby that are great for fishing and water sports without being over crowded (although sometimes the number of FIBs -Our friends from the south/Chicago area- can push that definition).

Milwaukee County Zoo is one of the nations top. Think level of San Diego/Bronx/etc.

Frozen Custard! -It’s like ice cream, but smoother. You don’t generally find good frozen custard outside of Wisconsin. Try it in Milwaukee for the real deal at one of the small local spots.

There’s a lot more to toffer, but like I said I tried to stick to things you can’t find in NE. And if nothing else, after spending a week in Milwaukee, you can always hop the Amtrak to visit that little city an hour and a half to the south for a day or two.
The Milwaukee art museum is stunning, it's one of the nicest pieces of architecture I've seen. I randomly drove up to Milwaukee many years ago to see the museum for the first time and to hit up bars and restaurants and it turns out it was Harley Davidson's 105th Anniversary with Springsteen playing. I've never seen so many bikers in my life, some of the roughest looking 1% going into the art museum shirtless with budweiser in hand and buck knife on their side. It was quite the juxtaposition. That was a fun weekend.

Reaction Score
Cannon Beach is amazing and definitely a must see if you are in coastal Oregon. I would also include Portland and any of the cities/towns in the Willamette Valley.

Reaction Score
The Milwaukee art museum is stunning, it's one of the nicest pieces of architecture I've seen. I randomly drove up to Milwaukee many years ago to see the museum for the first time and to hit up bars and restaurants and it turns out it was Harley Davidson's 105th Anniversary with Springsteen playing. I've never seen so many bikers in my life, some of the roughest looking 1% going into the art museum shirtless with budweiser in hand and buck knife on their side. It was quite the juxtaposition. That was a fun weekend.

That's funny, I had the opposite experience the first time I went to visit the Harley Museum. Some midwest chapter of a Ferrari owners group had their annual meeting there the same day. I went expecting what you saw at the art museum, only to find the stereo typical art museum crowd at the HD museum.

Reaction Score
Cannon Beach is amazing and definitely a must see if you are in coastal Oregon. I would also include Portland and any of the cities/towns in the Willamette Valley.

If you're in the area of Cannon Beach then Ecola State Park is worth a visit too. Great for hiking and the beaches are even prettier than Cannon Beach. The first time I went I was stunned by how beautiful it is.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
This is a

View attachment 67123

View attachment 67122

edit* I'd be remiss if I did not mention the cheese... because you know, Wisconsin. It really is incredible. You may say "Oh, but we can road trip to Vermont! You'd be right, great cheese there... but WI is a whole different level of depth, variety, and world class quality. Just trust me here... hit up the cheese bar downtown.

This is a perfect recap. The german architecture is amazing as well and its a great base camp to shoot down to Chi to get in the canal tours for the art deco and MCM, which is my favorite thing to do there.

The wisconsin sport scene is amazing, they do the gameday experience so well.

Reaction Score
That's funny, I had the opposite experience the first time I went to visit the Harley Museum. Some midwest chapter of a Ferrari owners group had their annual meeting there the same day. I went expecting what you saw at the art museum, only to find the stereo typical art museum crowd at the HD museum.
It was wild, some of the best people watching ever and the bikes were incredible.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Surprised there’s not as much love for New Haven on this list. Great restaurant scene and we all know about it’s pizza. Stamford as well.

Worcester, MA is closing in on being underrated. It doesn't have a great rep, and still have some work to do. But the downtown is pretty decent, it has 3 colleges, several breweries sprung up, and now the Red Sox AAA team has moved in to Polar Park, which is going to include a new dining/bar area. It is a biotech hub, and given that it is still inexpensive, I think it will be a target of increased gentrification. Loads of gorgeous old homes.
2 words: Armsby Abbey. Not sure what it's like now, but was fantastic in its early days.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
2 words: Armsby Abbey. Not sure what it's like now, but was fantastic in its early days.

It shut this winter due to the pandemic. Tight confines and limited capacity were a problem. But it promised to open this spring/summer. It's still the best beer bar I've been to outside of Waterbury, VT and the food is terrific too. I'm hoping they can open again soon.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It shut this winter due to the pandemic. Tight confines and limited capacity were a problem. But it promised to open this spring/summer. It's still the best beer bar I've been to outside of Waterbury, VT and the food is terrific too. I'm hoping they can open again soon.
Love the Armsby. Didn't they also own a more stripped down joint around the corner called Dive Bar?

Reaction Score
Just re-opened after a long COVID hiatus. It is a great place. Best beer bar in MA.
They just re-opened about a week ago. Awesome place. Best beer bar in MA. They haven't filled out the beer menu fully yet though. I'll probably wait until that happens before heading over.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Back when I was in coffee, I visited with the guys from Alterra (before they sold to Mars). The old pumphouse that they converted into a coffeehouse (with balcony seating) was the most uniquely designed and situated coffeehouse I'd ever visited.

Oddly, my 2nd wife's parents lived in Cedarburg, so I was up there quite a bit. But they never wanted to go "to the city" despite much prodding. Wife's stepdad was a columnist for the Sentinel and still, he'd rather take us on rides to places where he wanted to buy a tree farm than go downtown. We never went out to eat on any visit. I, OTOH, took him straight to Pepe's for a white clam pizza when he visited. Blew his mind.

You forgot to mention that the lake water is really freaking cold even in summer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom