OT: - Under sink water heaters | The Boneyard

OT: Under sink water heaters

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Anyone have any direct experience with under-sink water heaters, particularly the tankless variety? In most of our house we have hot water available pretty quickly, but in the kitchen we have to run water FOREVER before it gets warm. We waste a lot of water as a result. Re-plumbing things isn't a good option.

We don't have much space to spare under the sink, so a tankless heater could be ideal. I just know nothing about them. Anyone have any experience or advice?

Reaction Score
I've installed a few.They are excellent to have as in your case,instant hot water,the cold water valve will have to be replaced and plugged into outlet or direct for power

Reaction Score
It took forever to get hot water in our master bath, so we added a recirculating pump on the hot water line with a crossover connection between the hot and cold on one of the sinks in the bathroom (at the point furthest from the water heater). When the water in the hot water line at the crossover cools enough, a valve opens allowing the pump to push the cooled warm water into the cold water line moving hot water up from the tank. It works great for getting hot water fast. The only downside is that you may need to run the cold for a while if you want really want cold water. We tend to unplug the recirculating pump in the summer when we more often want cold from the faucets quickly.

The pump itself is pretty small in goes on the line coming out of the water heater in the basement. It also has a timer built in so it can be set to run only for certain hours. We tend to run it in the morning and around bed time when most showers are taken.

Reaction Score
I think op wants a simple small unit specifically for his kitchen faucett

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
I do design/build construction and have researched all of these options. On demand electric hot water uses massive amperage and doesn’t make a lot of sense with most homes existing electric. I prefer the small tank under cabinet electric water heaters. They run on 110v , and keep 2.5 to 10 gallons of heated water right by the faucet, They are still hooked into the houses hot water system so by the time the small tank is used up, the main system has gotten hot water to that far spot.

Much easier system to retrofit. I have a Bosch model. Wasn’t super expensive.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I do design/build construction and have researched all of these options. On demand electric hot water uses massive amperage and doesn’t make a lot of sense with most homes existing electric. I prefer the small tank under cabinet electric water heaters. They run on 110v , and keep 2.5 to 10 gallons of heated water right by the faucet, They are still hooked into the houses hot water system so by the time the small tank is used up, the main system has gotten hot water to that far spot.

Much easier system to retrofit. I have a Bosch model. Wasn’t super expensive.
After doing a bunch of research I'm leaning that way - probably a 2.5 gallon Bosch from Home Depot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom