UNC-CH Assistant coach named head coach at Concordia (CA) | The Boneyard

UNC-CH Assistant coach named head coach at Concordia (CA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Odd.
Given her recruiting prowess, would think she could do better than an NAIA school.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
She will get to coach Engeln......................Laurens twin sister Ashley played there last year as a junior.
I cant figure out that move. What can they pay her? There were openings for D1 coaching jobs at San Diego State, Cal State Fullerton, Pepperdine and USC, this spring and she ends up at Concordia?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
There's got to be a story behind her leaving UNC. She was the primary recruiter that enabled UNC to sign the #1 class last year. I'm surprised another D1 school hasn't signed her as an Asst Coach.

HGN

Reaction Score
I guess she was just looking for any head coaching experience she could get ... And Concordia came looking. It also gives her a chance to get back to the West Coast.

But if she's as good a recruiter , and talent evaluator as advertised , she should raise the fortunes of NAIA Concordia. My guess is , she won't be at Concordia but maybe 2-4 years before taking over a D-1 school.

Reaction Score
Maybe she's a Lutheran (I think that's the denomination with the Concordia colleges.) But I am surprised, she looked to be sitting pretty pending the eventual retirement of Syl. Maybe she's grabbing HC time now before Syl steps down, TSO's already proven she can recruit with the best of them.

Reaction Score
Funny I never thought of her as a good recruiter but must admit UNC and Duke did well while she was there.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Maybe she's a Lutheran (I think that's the denomination with the Concordia colleges.) But I am surprised, she looked to be sitting pretty pending the eventual retirement of Syl. Maybe she's grabbing HC time now before Syl steps down, TSO's already proven she can recruit with the best of them.
It is Lutheran and was the college that had an assistant coach and her fiancé murdered earlier in the year by that rogue cop.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
There's got to be a story behind her leaving UNC. She was the primary recruiter that enabled UNC to sign the #1 class last year. I'm surprised another D1 school hasn't signed her as an Asst Coach.

Why would she go to another college just to be an Asst Coach??

It is Lutheran and was the college that had an assistant coach and her fiancé murdered earlier in the year by that rogue cop.

I thought that was Cal State Fullerton.

Just did google. She was a former Concordia player. I guess thats what you meant.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
She is going to have her hands full trying to out recruit Russ Davis who coaches at nearby Vanguard(also Cal Swish). Russ gets a lot the top talent that might not be good enough for D1, or girls who can make D1 but want to play more than sit on the bench. Davis knows most of the girls in So Cal and OC.
Good luck to Ms Stafford-Odom, it will be nice to see Concordia competitive.
By the way, very nice campus at Concordia.

Reaction Score
Odd.
Given her recruiting prowess, would think she could do better than an NAIA school.

Her name came up for a few jobs like Pepperdine and San Diego State but she didn't get either. She is reknowed as a recruiter but SD St hired a LSU coach who I had not heard much of. Is NAIA on the same level as Division 2 or Division 3, or is it a step down, in line with junior college?

I expect UNC to be much improved this year so her name could have gotten more interest from schools, but the issue is which California schools can you bank on opening up? It can be risky to wait if you want to go back home.

She is going to have her hands full trying to out recruit Russ Davis who coaches at nearby Vanguard(also Cal Swish). Russ gets a lot the top talent that might not be good enough for D1, or girls who can make D1 but want to play more than sit on the bench. Davis knows most of the girls in So Cal and OC.
Good luck to Ms Stafford-Odom, it will be nice to see Concordia competitive.
By the way, very nice campus at Concordia.

Does Russ Davis coach Cal Swish now, or he used to? If he can coach a college team and a NAIA team that has to be a nice advantage in recruiting. NCAA doesn't allow that to the best of my knowledge, but NAIA may be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom