Umm, anyone noticing Texas? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Umm, anyone noticing Texas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
You done goofed, ol' bear. Texas is second in both size and population. Been hitting the pinot a little hard tonight? :p

Oh, leave him alone on this teensy error, he's pretty good at test-taking.

Reaction Score
Heads up - both of these old canards seemed to have been destroyed a long time ago. But, like the Jackalope, we'll hear 'em live on forever in loving memory.…
[Disclaimer: I am not a Texas Constitutional lawyer, but I did stay at a Dallas Holiday Inn].
Ha Ha, the light of reality for sure! Love your disclaimer.
Main thing about Secession is that we believe it and the flag of TX is always flown at the same height as the Union Jack down here. [mod edit - no politics.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
The only US state that has the right for secession written into it's constitution. The Texas state flag is the only state flag with the right to fly at the same height as the US flag. It's not about modesty, It's about PRIDE.... Oh yeah, I am living there now. PS: Gas is about to go under $2/Gal. & no state income tax.
Not suprised about UT or A&M. Just wondering where Baylor is right about now.
Plenty to be proud of in Texas.

As a matter of fact, I'm seriously considering relocating to Texas, because I've just about had it with the People's Republic of Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Plenty to be proud of in Texas.

As a matter of fact, I'm seriously considering relocating to Texas, because I've just about had it with the People's Republic of Connecticut.
Sure it's hot. But the electricity is free compared to CT and there is no need for heating oil. My house in South TX runs 72 year round. Sure the distances are huge, but gas is cheap.
I'm not pushing for TX cause there's minuses too. If you shoot for here aim for a college town.

Reaction Score
You done goofed, ol' bear. Texas is second in both size and population. Been hitting the pinot a little hard tonight? :p
Rumor has it when Alaska finally thaws all the way out Texas will be back to first in size...

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Suffice it to say I would be very hesitant to raise children in Texas, even in Austin (where I've resided for 10 years and love).

Rather than let this thread end up in The Cesspool, I'll only elaborate to the extent that the public education system in that state terrifies me.

Yes, I am a proud alumnus of UT-Austin and pleased the WBB program is having early success this season. The reasons I've been wrong about Karen Aston when she was hired is something I'll discuss in a separate thread I'll create...IF the Horns beat the Ags.

Reaction Score
I don't know 'bout that OTP. Texas is hot, and things tend to expand in the heat. Cold, meanwhile causes "shrinkage"!:rolleyes:
Don't bathe in cold streams and the she-bears won't notice...;)

Did you know that Ice is the one thing that expands when it freezes...don't tell him, his head's big enough already...

Reaction Score
Don't bathe in cold streams and the she-bears won't notice...;)

Did you know that Ice is the one thing that expands when it freezes...don't tell him, his head's big enough already...
Ha Ha, that's why the females in Alaska tend to be larger! ;)

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Ha Ha, that's why the females in Alaska tend to be larger! ;)
reminds me of my two favorite non-PC jokes...

While in Virginia, I learned that you should teach your child their ABC's, which stood for Anybody But Carolina. One off-shoot of that attitude was "What's the difference between a Carolina bride and a baby elephant?" The answer was "about 50 pounds". I mentioned that in New Hampshire once, and was told that the difference between a Maine debutante and a moose cow was "50 pounds and a flannel shirt".:oops:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
reminds me of my two favorite non-PC jokes...

While in Virginia, I learned that you should teach your child their ABC's, which stood for Anybody But Carolina. One off-shoot of that attitude was "What's the difference between a Carolina bride and a baby elephant?" The answer was "about 50 pounds". I mentioned that in New Hampshire once, and was told that the difference between a Maine debutante and a moose cow was "50 pounds and a flannel shirt".:oops:

:rolleyes:

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Suffice it to say I would be very hesitant to raise children in Texas, even in Austin (where I've resided for 10 years and love).

Rather than let this thread end up in The Cesspool, I'll only elaborate to the extent that the public education system in that state terrifies me.

Yes, I am a proud alumnus of UT-Austin and pleased the WBB program is having early success this season. The reasons I've been wrong about Karen Aston when she was hired is something I'll discuss in a separate thread I'll create...IF the Horns beat the Ags.
Unless you live in Highland Park! Of course, then you have to deal with parents getting books banned because they talk about poverty :)

Catholic schools for the win!

Reaction Score

Ha. You's don't know nothin. I went to public school in Bridgeport. Ha Ha Ha Ha.
This comment is totally unwarranted.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
The only US state that has the right for secession written into it's constitution. The Texas state flag is the only state flag with the right to fly at the same height as the US flag. It's not about modesty, It's about PRIDE.... Oh yeah, I am living there now.

Oh my, no. Not at all.

Here's a link to the Texas constitution. Point to the article or amendment regarding the right secession. (Here's a link to a wiki article about it, which doesn't mention secession at all.)

Here's a link to the UShistory.org's flag code FAQ regarding the Texas flag. Here's a link to the Texas flag code. Here's a link to the Washington state flag code. Here's the link to the flag etiquette from USFlag.org.

PS: Gas is about to go under $2/Gal. & no state income tax..

How is $2.51 "about to go under $2/gallon"?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
watanabe said:
Ha. You's don't know nothin. I went to public school in Bridgeport. Ha Ha Ha Ha. This comment is totally unwarranted.
You apparently know nothing about the approved textbook issue in the state of Texas. The problems in a town like Bridgeport are apples and oranges. Your response is totally unwarranted. I will not engage with a discussion with you about this further. This is a thread about Texas women's basketball, not politics.

Oh, and my kids go to public school in Ellington, and it's fantastic.

Reaction Score
As for the earlier true bball question (rather than political science/folklore Texian question), Baylor starts 2 jrs.--neither would probably start for half the teams we will play this year. Great kids; don't make a lot of mistakes, but aren't going to take us past the sweet 16, and then we start 3 sophs--all three have the potential to grow into A+ players that can play elite 8 if not more. Only problem, no real height. Davis 6'1" is getting time at the #3/#4 (she was the point guard when POY in Tennessee, but she does not create a shot off the dribble; it's all drive to the hoop or just out work the larger girls and has the ability to get her shot back up through lots of heavy arms). Though her stat lines are good, the experiment is not working quite yet. Cave is only 6'3" but shows hope of being able to play the #5 adequately because she is a bona fide jumper (which not many #5s in college bball are AND she shoots left handed so she catches quite a few defenders off guard with her first quick step to the left, and Wright, 5'10 shooting guard who has the head and heart of an assassin and may be our next truly nationally known player. Last year she played in the shadow of the more highly touted Iesha Smalls at the #2.

Kristy Wallace from Australia is taking a two week break required for her to play on the Australian national team and had solidified the shooting guard spot becausse she sees and thinks the game. She plays the game in the same mold as some of the players you guys have had that is not as fast nor as powerful but is always one mental step ahead of the defender. But she's slow, and when she gets back, she's going to have to bump either our point (which I predict) or Wright at the #2.

Our only senior is the verbal leader of the team, Agbuke at 6'5", but she is in law school so her ability to put it and leave it all on the court is quite appropriately questioned, especially as law exams start to kick in.

The real question marks are Prince who set out all last year with stress fractures in her feet. She looks a bit slow, but her stat lines are serviceable. She is just not as quick and as able to create a shot from the perimeter as we had hoped she would be after a full year's rest, but it's early. She has not played fullspeed competitive ball in a year and a half and she may just be playing tentatively on her feet right now. the other question is the highly touted Iesha Small that was our soph class's leading recruit. She, too, has had high ankle sprain and has been only half of what she is capable of being.

If Small and Prince can find the speed they need, and if Davis goes back to being the #4 rather than the 15' jump-shooter Kim is experimenting with, then our starting five and entire rotation will look much differently than it does now. Best case scenario (and not too biased) is that we try to steal one from Texas and make it a two-horse race.

But for what it's worth, Karen Asten is building a bona fide monster in Austin. She is an excellent recruiter (was for us for 4 years) and knows the x's and o's. She is building the kind of team that Notre Dame and Stanford has been for you guys. Not quite as good on paper, but a dogfight of a game every time you hit the court. We won't be there this year; perhaps next year when our best talent is all juniors.

And I KNOW you guys can't believe this, but Kim is mellowing and actually smiling at the players often when they come off the court. Age and having coached her daughter for 4 years helped her bearings. But don't lose heart. She is still every bit as what you want to see her be on the sidelines as she's always been, especially if these sophs come along quickly and by mid-Feb she's got an elilte/Tampa chance.

Happy Advent from west of the Sabine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32