Umm, anyone noticing Texas? | The Boneyard

Umm, anyone noticing Texas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hasn't Texas now beaten both Stanford and TN? Is that not significant, or am I missing something? Didn't see either game, so I am at a disadvantage, but this seems pretty interesting.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
How can you not? Fourth-largest state geographically, second-largest by population, and a citizenry not exactly known for modesty....:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
How can you not? Fourth-largest state geographically, second-largest by population, and a citizenry not exactly known for modesty....:rolleyes:
Which are the two states smaller than Alaska but bigger than Texas?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Hasn't Texas now beaten both Stanford and TN? Is that not significant, or am I missing something? Didn't see either game, so I am at a disadvantage, but this seems pretty interesting.

Did you check the rankings? Texas is........?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Apparently the coaches noticed them, voting them #4 this week off their wire to wire 10 +/- win over Tenn. But that Tenn. team could have 3 packed inside and none of them would as much as quiver as a Texas guard started from 20 feet away for a lay up. Truly pathetic Tenn effort in every way. But it got Texas noticed and they have a bright future with lots of talent headed their way.

Reaction Score
Apparently the coaches noticed them, voting them #4 this week off their wire to wire 10 +/- win over Tenn. But that Tenn. team could have 3 packed inside and none of them would as much as quiver as a Texas guard started from 20 feet away for a lay up. Truly pathetic Tenn effort in every way. But it got Texas noticed and they have a bright future with lots of talent headed their way.
They also beat Stanford. Pretty impressive showing so far without Imani McGee-Stafford.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Texas is very good this year. Ariel Atkins is the real deal, and I was impressed with some of their other players. I think beating Stanford after they were on a high from their UConn win is impressive, but not that impressive...after seeing Stanford in a few other games it looks like they played out of their minds against us, and are now regressing toward their mean.

As for beating Tennessee....well, UT-Chattanooga did that too. ;)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The trifecta would be to beat the Fightin' Farmers of College Station. That win, plus Stanford and the LVs, would be some serious skins on the wall early.

Reaction Score
I may have missed on some of my other picks (eg, UConn by 30 over Stan), but I did have Texas as top 5 from the start.
And I was very impressed with coach Aston's post game comments.

Reaction Score
You done goofed, ol' bear. Texas is second in both size and population. Been hitting the pinot a little hard tonight? :p

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Yes, the state of Texas in size/population is 2+2=4, tied with California at 1+3. Alaska is way behind 1+49. But Rhode Island is #50 in size and middling at best in population. So Lil' Rhody is dead last.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You done goofed, ol' bear. Texas is second in both size and population. Been hitting the pinot a little hard tonight? :p

oh%20snap.jpg

Reaction Score
The only US state that has the right for secession written into it's constitution. The Texas state flag is the only state flag with the right to fly at the same height as the US flag. It's not about modesty, It's about PRIDE.... Oh yeah, I am living there now. PS: Gas is about to go under $2/Gal. & no state income tax.
Not suprised about UT or A&M. Just wondering where Baylor is right about now.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Plus it was 70 degrees this past weekend!

Reaction Score
Plus it was 70 degrees this past weekend!
Yup...and the weekend before that, the wife and I spent a day at the Dallas Arboretum and the temp was 72. Had to put on sun block.

Reaction Score
Yup...and the weekend before that, the wife and I spent a day at the Dallas Arboretum and the temp was 72. Had to put on sun block.
And when it is 72 and sunny in Storrs next summer, it will be 112 in Texas under a sun that will turn your skin into shoe leather after 5 minutes' exposure. No thanks.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Texas will probably win the Big 12. They look much better than Baylor at this point.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
The only US state that has the right for secession written into it's constitution. The Texas state flag is the only state flag with the right to fly at the same height as the US flag...
Heads up - both of these old canards seemed to have been destroyed a long time ago. But, like the Jackalope, we'll hear 'em live on forever in loving memory.…
The only US state that has the right for secession written into it's constitution...
1. Heard that, but never encountered a Texas Constitution quote claiming it says anything like that. On the contrary, even the most unabashed ‘Texas-independence’ websites I’ve seen [e.g., texassecede . com] dismiss that anecdote right up front: …This heavily popularized bit of Texas folklore finds no corroboration where it counts: No such provision is found in the current Texas Constitution (adopted in 1876) or the terms of annexation. However, it does state (in Article 1, Section 1) that "Texas is a free and independent State, subject only to the Constitution of the United States..."

...The Texas state flag is the only state flag with the right to fly at the same height as the US flag...
1. Snoopes.com does a good job discussing, before demolishing this one: LINK
2. But it’s easy enough to look it up ourselves. In short, whatever “right” we may hear anyone wants to claim elsewhere, now seems superseded by United States Code, 2006 Edition, Supplement 5, Tittle 4, FLAG AND SEAL, SEAT OF GOVERNMENT, AND THE STATES § 7 [Section 7, paragraph (e)] : LINK
“(e) The flag of the United States of America should be at the center and at the highest point of the group when a number of flags of States or localities or pennants of societies are grouped and displayed from staffs.”

[Disclaimer: I am not a Texas Constitutional lawyer, but I did stay at a Dallas Holiday Inn].

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Heads up - both of these old canards seemed to have been destroyed a long time ago. But, like the Jackalope, we'll hear 'em live on forever in loving memory.…

1. Heard that, but never encountered a Texas Constitution quote claiming it says anything like that. On the contrary, even the most unabashed ‘Texas-independence’ websites I’ve seen [e.g., texassecede . com] dismiss that anecdote right up front: …This heavily popularized bit of Texas folklore finds no corroboration where it counts: No such provision is found in the current Texas Constitution (adopted in 1876) or the terms of annexation. However, it does state (in Article 1, Section 1) that "Texas is a free and independent State, subject only to the Constitution of the United States..."

1. Snoopes.com does a good job discussing, before demolishing this one: LINK
2. But it’s easy enough to look it up ourselves. In short, whatever “right” we may hear anyone wants to claim elsewhere, now seems superseded by United States Code, 2006 Edition, Supplement 5, Tittle 4, FLAG AND SEAL, SEAT OF GOVERNMENT, AND THE STATES § 7 [Section 7, paragraph (e)] : LINK
“(e) The flag of the United States of America should be at the center and at the highest point of the group when a number of flags of States or localities or pennants of societies are grouped and displayed from staffs.”

[Disclaimer: I am not a Texas Constitutional lawyer, but I did stay at a Dallas Holiday Inn].
Art, you just made Kib proud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32