Umlaut | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Umlaut

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When we talk about our foreign players we frequently overlook Edwards. Many Canadians speak English, but they talk a little funny up there, eh? (sorry Jingo)
Je me souviens!

Reaction Score
I make it a practice to never respond to comments on my postings, whether good or bad, but ETSA on the evening of November 1st made mention of two critical places in occupied West Berlin - Andrews Barracks and Teufelsberg - in message 22 of the Umlaut thread. I am intimately acquainted with both of those places and his mention of them makes clear that we both belonged to the same esoteric Cold War Army unit, although I was a German linguist in the Berlin Brigade.

Another German factoid, probably of interest to practically no one, is that the w sound does not exist in the language, and the letter w is pronounced like a v, while the v is rendered as f.

The umlaut question is also leading me to bring up another of my no noes, that of changing a thread topic. It has occurred to me that UConn has not had many European players over the years except for recently with Anna Makurat, Nika Mühl, and Dorka Juhácz, although who can forget the great Svetlana Abrosimova No one that I can think of from Germany, although the men had a big who didn’t play much around 15 years ago. I vaguely recall that there may have been a European in the late 90s, a guard who didn’t play much

Indeed, aside from Canadians, the team has had few others from outside the U.S. There was the transfer from Washington of a New Zealander who she never played a minute on the team. She red shirted and then left UConn. The Huskies had a player from Israel around 1990 and she may have been on the first Final Four squad. If my memory is correct, she played only one year, like Nadov Hennefeld.

The reason why is that UConn has often been able to recruit the players the team needs. Still, with the increased level of competition and a lot more good teams recruiting the best, no coach can afford to neglect possible European gems.

Reaction Score
... ETSA on the evening of November 1st made mention of two critical places in occupied West Berlin - Andrews Barracks and Teufelsberg - in message 22 of the Umlaut thread. I am intimately acquainted with both of those places and his mention of them makes clear that we both belonged to the same esoteric Cold War Army unit, although I was a German linguist in the Berlin Brigade.
I was a Czech linguist on TDY to Berlin from a remote border site in Bavaria.
... No one that I can think of from Germany, although the men had a big who didn’t play much around 15 years ago. I vaguely recall that there may have been a European in the late 90s, a guard who didn’t play much
The big German from years ago was Marc Suhr. The German who had the most impact was Niels Giffey. UCONN also had Enosch Wolf and Leon Tolksdorf for short stays in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Before the season starts, I believe appropriate to relieve my real Nom d'Ossuaire. I am Arminius von und zu Hühnerfalkenberg.

Reaction Score
Thanks so much - I never heard that explained before.
No kidding, I knew there was something "off" with my name (no snark please) all my life but your explanation was quite enlightening.

Reaction Score
My two other languages, both spoken imperfectly, are German and Turkish, both of which feature umlauts, which often led me to mix the two in one sentence after one too many beers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom