Umlaut | The Boneyard

Umlaut

Reaction Score
Long time reader, first time contributor. A thought . . .

In German, the Umlaut (two dots over vowels) can be substituted with two letters with no umlauts. For example, "ü" can be written as “ue” (preferred for proper names) and is pronounced as you hear it in Nika’s last name. Nika is from Croatia, formerly part of the German-speaking Austrian Empire, so some of the people have German names. Nika speaks German, I understand. Mühl or Muehl relates to a mill. Bueckers can also be spelled as Bückers (the English plural "s” was probably an Ellis Island type transcription addition). Buecker relates to the Beech tree. We could have Bueckers and Muehl or Bückers and Mühl, which means that it could be that the Slime Sisters are also The Umlaut Twins.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I can honestly say that your post covers a topic never before discussed on the Boneyard. Considering all the many remote and obscure topics brought up on this forum, that’s truly an accomplishment.

Welcome to the Boneyard.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
I can honestly say that your post covers a topic never before discussed on the Boneyard. Considering all the many remote and obscure topics brought up on this forum, that’s truly an accomplishment.

Welcome to the Boneyard.
As long as we are having fun with arcane topics, let's not be so naïve as to confuse the umlaut with a dieresis. While these two diacritics look alike, they are distinct in function. The dieresis indicates stress, as in naïve. Without the dieresis over the i, it would not be pronounced separately, but would be part of a diphthong.

Cooperate, without the diacritic, might mistakenly be pronounced as if it had only three syllables: coop-er-ate.
The dieresis in coöperate alerts us that the second o is also part of a syllable: co-op-er-ate.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have a good friend here in San Diego who was born, raised, and educated in Düsseldorf, Germany. (Note the umlaut. The city is also famous for Altbier, a wonderful contribution to western civilization.)

His last name has an umlaut. Early on, he moved to London as a young businessman. But, as he says, the Brits don't believe in umlauts, so he lost his. Then, he moved to the U.S. a lot of years ago. And we Americans also don't believe in umlauts. However, when I met him, I realized that something serious was missing, so I started a campaign to "give Herb back his umlaut." It's been successful so far, and Herb has regained his umlaut...

Reaction Score
60 years ago Mrs. Huggler didn't teach me this or was it Mrs. Höuggler?
I don't believe the combination "öu" exists in German. Could have been Hüggler, but to keep the original sound they would have spelled it Hueggler as Chickenhawk points out above. The "s" ending for Bueckers isn't necessarily a transcription error as Chickenhawk suggests - many German patronymic family names, for instance, can be in a genitive form and end in an "s".

Reaction Score
For me umlaut only gives me flash backs to early English classes. :eek: Not a good student or a lover of the class which I have always regretted sense. Umlaut gives me a recall of the teacher that detested "um". She would make everyone speak and if you stalled and used um in the narrative it was "Um is dumb!"
Got the point and to this day can't believe how many in high positions can't speak without constantly saying ah or um multiple times before the next statement.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Yes, the dreaded umlaut. Popularly taught by saying 5,555 in German, repetitively, at least in my school.

Reaction Score
Welcome to the Boneyard, Hühnerfalke.
OK had to google it, Huhnerfalke = Hawk. How is that pronounce phonically? And please I know Hawk is pronounced Hawk :)

Reaction Score
For me umlaut only gives me flash backs to early English classes. :eek: Not a good student or a lover of the class which I have always regretted sense. Umlaut gives me a recall of the teacher that detested "um". She would make everyone speak and if you stalled and used um in the narrative it was "Um is dumb!"
Got the point and to this day can't believe how many in high positions can't speak without constantly saying ah or um multiple times before the next statement.
While I recall she sounds more proficient recently, the first time I heard WNBA commissioner Cathy Engelbert speak I was aghast at the amount of "ums" in her speech. She was new at the job and it might have been one of her very first oratories while learning the ropes, but it was painful listening to and I was shocked the WNBA would advance her voice as theirs.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
While I recall she sounds more proficient recently, the first time I heard WNBA commissioner Cathy Engelbert speak I was aghast at the amount of "ums" in her speech. She was new at the job and it might have been one of her very first oratories while learning the ropes, but it was painful listening to and I was shocked the WNBA would advance her voice as theirs.
How do you pronounce “um” with an umlaut over the “u”?

Reaction Score

Welcome to the Boneyard.
Thank you. Look forward to participating in what should be a wonderful year.

Reaction Score
OK had to google it, Huhnerfalke = Hawk. How is that pronounce phonically? And please I know Hawk is pronounced Hawk :)
It actually means chicken hawk, like the OP's moniker. Pronounced as:

Reaction Score
The new Umlaut thread of chickenhawk explaining the ü in Mühl is very informative, and, yes, umlaut vowels are generally transliterated to vowel plus e in English, hence Muehl and Bueckers. When I first became acquainted with Paige’s name, I pronounced it the way Germans would and not as she does, as Beckers.

The German language has other umlauted vowels, e.g., ä, ë, and ö. The addition of the umlaut changes pronunciation, for example, a is pronounced ah and ä sort of like ae. Often there are no direct ways to translate German sounds into English. In addition to umlauts, there are the diphthongs au and eu, not to mention such peculiarities as the liquid l in Schnell and and long n in Hauptmann.

Having laboriously learned German many, many years ago and having spent two years in occupied West Berlin, I developed a great love for the German language. Despite the strange to English sounds and the seeming harshness of it, German is a beautiful language with the distinct advantage over English in that all words are pronounced the same way. In other words, as soon as you see a word you know how it should be pronounced, unlike English in which it is necessary to learn many words that are spelled the same and pronounced differently depending on the meaning and homonyms, words that sound the same, but spelled differently and have different meanings.

Then there is the á in Juhácz. That is a common French diacritic, but I have no idea how it is pronounced in Magyar, assuming my memory that she is of Hungarian background is correct.

So, as we look forward to next season, let’s hope that we have plenty of opportunities to say good things about the player with the ü and that with the á. First game in 13 days.

Reaction Score
This is one of the most interesting posts in a long time. Thank you for introducing it, and welcome.
The topic reminded me that the accent problem presented by my family name -- a simple French accent that most people ignore and that I add only to confuse folks -- is a trifle by comparison.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

In German, the Umlaut (two dots over vowels) can be substituted with two letters with no umlauts. For example, "ü" can be written as “ue” (preferred for proper names) and is pronounced as you hear it in Nika’s last name. Nika is from Croatia, formerly part of the German-speaking Austrian Empire, so some of the people have German names. Nika speaks German, I understand. Mühl or Muehl relates to a mill. Bueckers can also be spelled as Bückers (the English plural "s” was probably an Ellis Island type transcription addition). Buecker relates to the Beech tree. We could have Bueckers and Muehl or Bückers and Mühl, which means that it could be that the Slime Sisters are also The Umlaut Twins.
“Thank you for your interest in German phonetics.”

(Welcome to the board)

Reaction Score
The new Umlaut thread of chickenhawk explaining the ü in Mühl is very informative, and, yes, umlaut vowels are generally transliterated to vowel plus e in English, hence Muehl and Bueckers. When I first became acquainted with Paige’s name, I pronounced it the way Germans would and not as she does, as Beckers.

The German language has other umlauted vowels, e.g., ä, ë, and ö. The addition of the umlaut changes pronunciation, for example, a is pronounced ah and ä sort of like ae. Often there are no direct ways to translate German sounds into English. In addition to umlauts, there are the diphthongs au and eu, not to mention such peculiarities as the liquid l in Schnell and and long n in Hauptmann.

Having laboriously learned German many, many years ago and having spent two years in occupied West Berlin, I developed a great love for the German language. Despite the strange to English sounds and the seeming harshness of it, German is a beautiful language with the distinct advantage over English in that all words are pronounced the same way. In other words, as soon as you see a word you know how it should be pronounced, unlike English in which it is necessary to learn many words that are spelled the same and pronounced differently depending on the meaning and homonyms, words that sound the same, but spelled differently and have different meanings.

Then there is the á in Juhácz. That is a common French diacritic, but I have no idea how it is pronounced in Magyar, assuming my memory that she is of Hungarian background is correct.

So, as we look forward to next season, let’s hope that we have plenty of opportunities to say good things about the player with the ü and that with the á. First game in 13 days.

I also often do what you do with the pronunciation of German names.

You won't find any German words spelled with an "umlaut" over the letter "e", or "i" for that matter. You're more likely to see it in English denoting that the vowel is pronounced separately from an adjacent vowel, like Chloë or naïve (but that is called a diaeresis). German dipthongs are actually helpfully spelled with two letters like you noted. In English we might pronounce one letter for a dipthong. "A" becomes ay-eee, "O" is oh-uuu, "I" is eye-eee.

I first learned German in the Bavarian Forest area and made it to occupied Berlin for only about three weeks in October 1970 to support the people of Andrews Barracks working on Teufelsberg.

We have all thoroughly enjoyed the basketball players, both men and women, who have come to UCONN from overseas, from Russia, Israel, Germany, etc. Really looking forward to this year's group. But let's not get started on Juhácz and the Hungarian language's four letters U and O, three of each with different diacritics.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
thought the guy was singing 'pa pa pa umlaut ow ow, pa pa umlaut ow.'

guess not.

upon further review, i may have to replace my current alarm clock video with this one. it is appropriate becuz the other one is 'welcome to the jungle.'

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Wow, I did not know we were allowed to learn the Critical Umlaut theory here on the Yard.

Reaction Score
When we talk about our foreign players we frequently overlook Edwards. Many Canadians speak English, but they talk a little funny up there, eh? (sorry Jingo)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom