UMass struggling in step up to Div IA | The Boneyard

UMass struggling in step up to Div IA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does anyone find edsalls comments criticizing recruiting ofjc kids n taking transfers interesting?

Reaction Score
Does anyone find edsalls comments criticizing recruiting ofjc kids n taking transfers interesting?

Yep. The implication is impossible to ignore. And that is why he is kind of a di#k.

Reaction Score
Is he not correct by saying that taking JUCO and transfers is a quick fix?

Did RE build this program without going that route? Ten plus years with one of each says the answer is yes and yes.

Let it go guys, just let it go. Or should I say let him go.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I would think UMass should be able to play all home games on campus for MAC purposes. A lot of their stadiums are pretty spartan and small.

Reaction Score
Whether Edsall was taking a cheap shot or not is besides the point. Loading up on Jucos and transfers does pose some risks. I like the kids we've brought in so far. They seem to have taken the routes they took to UCONN for valid and fair reasons and it does not appear we are taking on problems. Time will tell.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Did RE build this program without going that route? Ten plus years with one of each says the answer is yes and yes.

So, Edsall's philosophy worked for him - bully for Edsall. But why criticize the way other coaches might choose to run their program? Or is this just another example of Edsall's "There my way and the wrong way" thinking?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the reason RE didn't take juco kids is becuase those kids didn't execute in the high school classroom. he was stiff about his kids. thats what gets you a job at yale. he went down to md where if a kid can walk and talk at the same time hes fair game, hes getting exposed quick. RE did a great job building us from nothing to something no doubt, but enjoy PP becuase hes a real college football coach with what he does off the field. I just hope it translates to on the field.

Reaction Score

Except when he needed a QB - or have you forgotten Lorenzen?

I have no notable love OR hate for RE. But it is impossible to ignore him when he goes on record preaching against something that he himself has done (coupled with the # of transfers he has caused). Particularly in the context of Uconn.

Yes I know he qualified his statement with "a lot", as if to say doing it a little is OK, which is even more of a reason why he sounds like a duplicitous a$hole.

Were his comments directed at Uconn? Seems odd that he offers the whole JC/transfer soundbite to a Globe reporter, on the subject of Umass/Uconn similarities, at a time when we are following the JC path more than in the past. It may be a coincidence. Regardless, he sounds like a preachy, hypocritical in the article. No small feat considering he had but a few sentences.

Reaction Score
So, Edsall's philosophy worked for him - bully for Edsall. But why criticize the way other coaches might choose to run their program? Or is this just another example of Edsall's "There my way and the wrong way" thinking?

He wasn't criticizing anyone. He was talking about how he believes going from 1AA to 1A should be done. The article was about UMass upgrading, not PP.

People need to stop over analyzing every word RE utters.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

You let it go. We get it, we're UConn fans first , you're an Edsall fan. You've made it your obsessive duty to respond to even the tiniest FUCRE slight. Nevermind the fact that the guy is off base here. The biggest win of his career was due in no small part to the performance of a transfer. His way isn't the only way.

pj

Reaction Score
Speaking of ex-girlfriends from 10 years ago: Lew Perkins is working for UMass! He probably wears UMass underwear, just to piss us off.

Reaction Score
Why is randy edsall coach of Maryland even talking to a Boston newspaper ?

Reaction Score
Why is randy edsall coach of Maryland even talking to a Boston newspaper ?

The premise of the article is to look at some of the challenges that UMass is facing and how they might deal with them, by looking at how UConn dealt with them. Perkins was AD and Edsall was coach of UConn at the time. Seems like a natural fit to ask them a few questions if they are willing to answer.

From the other prespective, what's the harm in putting your name out there... you never know who reads the article.

Reaction Score
I am fine with saying that Edsall did a very good, solid job building this Program. I understand his philosophy & it worked. We have now moved beyond ... and I think our future is greater now that we have different decision-makers in the mix.

Reaction Score
There is no UConn story here. None whatsoever.

Some of you act like you think every day your ex-girlfriend from ten years ago makes her decision on what to wear every morning based on what will piss you off. Grow up.

Not like that for you, Biz? I'd have at least thought we had that effect on other folks in common, my friend. They never forget, do they?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think UMass will be fine in its upgrade, and I think UMass' upgrading is a good thing for UConn because it builds for regional interest and is a much bigger threat to BCU than it is to UConn.

Reaction Score
I think UMass will be fine in its upgrade, and I think UMass' upgrading is a good thing for UConn because it builds for regional interest and is a much bigger threat to BCU than it is to UConn.

Seeing it just the opposite. BCU is in an established, stable, BCS conference. It also recruits a somewhat different student-athlete. And has more support than UMass does in the Boston market for what very little interest and support the Old Town has for college sports that are not hockey.

UConn is in a less stable (nitroglycerin) conference and will most likely be competing with UMass in New England for a handful of players (look what happened to Syracuse, once UConn went 1-A and they no longer could cherry pick Connecticut alone. No more Tebucky Joneses for the Cuse.

UConn would have been so much better off as a party of two not three in a small market.

Reaction Score
if we're losing a lot of recruiting battles to UMass, their upgrading is the least of our problems. Temple to the Big East has more damaging recruiting repercussions IMO than UMass moving to the MAC

Reaction Score
if we're losing a lot of recruiting battles to UMass, their upgrading is the least of our problems. Temple to the Big East has more damaging recruiting repercussions IMO than UMass moving to the MAC

Temple??? Yeah, come play in front of 12K people in a stadium designed for an NFL team. A program with zero tradition, that was already kicked out of the conference once for failure to be relevant. Add in that Philly is a professional sports town and it's primary interest in college athletics is hoops and lacrosse. And located in a state where, at best, they are the third most prominent college football program (maybe fourth behind the Penn Quakers). Yeah, sign me up.

Granted UMass faces some of these same obstacles. However, a look back in history will reveal that the last time UConn & UMass were on "equal terms" in football (the Colonial Conference and the old Yankee Conference), the Minutemen were "big brother" most years. So they are, IMO, definitely an annoyance at a minimun and a real threat at worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom