UMass > MAC for all sports in 2025-2026 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UMass > MAC for all sports in 2025-2026

Reaction Score
Here is the official press release. It became official today.

I think the Mid has to rename itself even if it keeps the "MAC" brand. Mid has such a negative connotation, mid-major, even kids use "mid" as insult.

"the slang "mid" is used to describe something or someone as below average or low quality. It can be used as an insult or to oppose the opinion of another."

Reaction Score
We'll be in a stronger basketball pod and weaker football pod with Akron, Kent State, and Buffalo.

Reaction Score
Mid pack. Mid is middle. Middle America has carried a good connotation. One of solidness.

Reaction Score

"The Minutemen play against three SEC schools – Missouri, Mississippi State and Georgia – while also facing two FCS opponents in Central Connecticut State and Wagner. In between, they play five MAC programs and Conference USA defending champion Liberty, which ended last year with a 12-1 record."

"“The schedule is just death for an independent team,” Ingoglia said. “UMass to go 6-6 with that schedule next year? That’s like most teams going 12-0. Let’s be honest, you can’t live like that. The athletic department knows that – it’s not fair to the student-athletes.”"

"UMass joining the MAC will not only allow the football team to have a much less varied schedule but it will also provide the Minutemen with an opportunity to play for a conference championship and make a bowl game if they reach six wins."

"“As a former player, you want to be able to play for something each and every year,” Ingoglia said."

Reaction Score
Bottom line..the move is going to help football and hurt basketball
That's typical CR, but it should help the athletic department overall. It will also depend on who else the MAC adds and how many programs it adds. UMass going to the MAC helps the MAC and hurts the A-10. The head coach:

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Bottom line..the move is going to help football and hurt basketball
Here’s a thought about basketball in the long run. The last time UMass was in the tournament was 2014 and back to 1998 for the previous time. They were regular season co-champions in 2007 with a 24-9 record and did not make the tournament. Not much success in the A10.

If they are decidedly better than the MAC schools, they should, dominate the MAC and make the tournament every year. They could be in a lesser conference, but gave more post season success.

I understand this is just looking at making the tournament, not rivalries and bigger schools coming to their home arena. I agree there are no MAC basketball teams that get anybody outside of MAC rivalries excited. That’s gonna hurt. That being said, they have a chance to go on consecutive tournament run and get their name out there again. The only time UMass comes to my attention is when CR is talked about. They need success and, while not ideal, they might have an easier path to the NCAA tournament. Start by dominating the MAC and see where that takes you.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why people think the MAC is the answer for UMass football. They were in the MAC for football for 4 years and were 8-40, 7-25 in conference. Their stadium holds 17k fans. And, they didn't draw fans when in the MAC.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why people think the MAC is the answer for UMass football. They were in the MAC for football for 4 years and were 8-40, 7-25 in conference. Their stadium holds 17k fans. And, they didn't draw fans when in the MAC.
because having a conference gives you something to work towards. Simple as.

Reaction Score
And also the northeast doesn’t care about college football compared to other parts of the country
I think the fans are here, they just don’t have a team to root for. As much as it pains me to say this, but if BCU gets good under Bill O’Brien it might actually help us if we can get back on their schedule. I would offer them 2 home games to our one game. Maybe even move our home game to Gillette. This way we build the rivalry and guarantee us a P4 game that our fans will travel for.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I think the fans are here, they just don’t have a team to root for. As much as it pains me to say this, but if BCU gets good under Bill O’Brien it might actually help us if we can get back on their schedule. I would offer them 2 home games to our one game. Maybe even move our home game to Gillette. This way we build the rivalry and guarantee us a P4 game that our fans will travel for.
We have already scheduled home and homes with them. We are not giving low or medium-end P4s 2 for 1s. Just stop. Home and homes only.

Reaction Score
Thank you for your interest in connecticut football.

Reaction Score
Good Lord.

Reaction Score
That's typical CR, but it should help the athletic department overall. It will also depend on who else the MAC adds and how many programs it adds. UMass going to the MAC helps the MAC and hurts the A-10. The head coach:

From Saturday's article
UMass’ NIL Collectives excited about move to the MAC: “If we get this right, we have a bright future” link
The move doesn’t just have an impact on UMass athletics, it’s already had a tremendous influence on both The Midnight Ride and The Massachusetts Collective, UMass’ NIL basketball collective.

Since Monday’s news, both collectives have reached weekly numbers they’ve never seen before. The two groups saw record-breaking 24-hour totals as well as single-week totals, and each have had handfuls of new members join.

“Both collectives are having a great week, and I think that speaks to the alumni base, in general, their appetite and want to win,” Schneider said. “I think that also sends a message to UMass as well, that like people are expecting to win and they want to win.”

Reaction Score
I live in Mass and have friends who went to UMass. None of them think this is a good move.
Speaks volumes of the type of friends you have. lol. Sure they don't understand the finances at the G5 level. No more Davidson College, or Gola arena and flying to Buffalo and then busing down to Olean etc. Basketball has a dozen OOC games so they become more important. That is how Cal built UMass up.

Reaction Score
Speaks volumes of the type of friends you have. lol. Sure they don't understand the finances at the G5 level. No more Davidson College, or Gola arena and flying to Buffalo and then busing down to Olean etc. Basketball has a dozen OOC games so they become more important. That is how Cal built UMass up.
When Cal got it going, the A10 included Temple, West Virginia, Rhode Island, Rutgers, St. Joe's, ... Much more interesting than the current A10 and way more interesting than the MAC. Do you think fans will be excited to see Akron, Central Michigan, ,,, I understand that UMass was in a tough position with no good choices, but it will be tough to build excitement in Amherst in either football or basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom