UMass & Kimani Young | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UMass & Kimani Young

Reaction Score
Just curious to all y'all's opinion: Would Kamani be a viable candidate for a "major college" (as opposed to mid-major) job like: Georgetown, Maryland, Nebraska, Penn State, Georgia, etc? I tend to think so. Thoughts?

Unlikely. He hasn't been a head coach anywhere at all I don't think. Definitely not college or high school. He was the director of New Heights before he became a college assistant.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He can get a way better job than UMass.

Reaction Score
Doubtful, the hot coaching candidates tend to be the mid major head coaches that win games in the tournament or at least make the tournament. For example Dan Hurley at URI or Jim Calhoun at Northeastern. The A10 would be a great landing spot for Kamani.

Last year, 11 power conference programs hired new coaches. Six of the 11 had never been head coaches before. Schools have been very open recently to hiring fresh faces instead of retreads.

Reaction Score
Last year, 11 power conference programs hired new coaches. Six of the 11 had never been head coaches before. Schools have been very open recently to hiring fresh faces instead of retreads.

Subtract out any schools that promoted from within. Like UCONN hiring Ollie that's a different ballgame. Hubert Davis at North Carolina doesn't count.

Someone rising through the ranks like Hurley is not the definition of a retread.

Reaction Score
Blauds is a stenographer. If you "leaked" to him that UMass was about to hire Phil Jackson, he'd report it. Guy is an absolute hack, and I cannot believe people here are taking him seriously.

This isn't even about the UMass suggestion. Kimani is a hot HC candidate, and UMass is a solid first HC job. It wouldn't shock me if he ended up getting it. But Mark Blaudschun is never going to break any real news for the rest of his "career."

Tell us how you really feel about Blauds.

Reaction Score
Subtract out any schools that promoted from within. Like UCONN hiring Ollie that's a different ballgame. Hubert Davis at North Carolina doesn't count.

Someone rising through the ranks like Hurley is not the definition of a retread.
Ok so that still leaves Tony Stubblefield at DePaul (unless you count a half season as interim HC), Ben Johnson at Minnesota, Tommy Lloyd at Arizona who got first time HC jobs at different schools. Not that I expect that to happen for Kimani

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Ok so that still leaves Tony Stubblefield at DePaul (unless you count a half season as interim HC), Ben Johnson at Minnesota, Tommy Lloyd at Arizona who got first time HC jobs at different schools. Not that I expect that to happen for Kimani
Yeah except Ben Johnson played at Minnesota and Tommy Lloyd came from arguably the most successful program in the last 5 years. DePaul comp is a good example although DePaul was probably not considered a good job by most. That said, it’s definitely way better than UMass and Kimani could probably do really well with a similar opportunity.

Reaction Score
Yeah except Ben Johnson played at Minnesota and Tommy Lloyd came from arguably the most successful program in the last 5 years. DePaul comp is a good example although DePaul was probably not considered a good job by most. That said, it’s definitely way better than UMass and Kimani could probably do really well with a similar opportunity.

UMASS and Depaul are actually comparable jobs. Both programs have languished for a long time and have been "coaching graveyards" but both have potential. It just takes a good coach who knows what he is doing. Supposedly UMASS is ready to invest in basketball and increase it's salary pool. If so that's a terrific first HC gig for anyone. I would argue its a better job than URI because there are probably many more good basketball recruits in MASS than RI. People on this board knock the UMASS gig because they are afraid of the competition (Camby Jitters)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UMASS and Depaul are actually comparable jobs. Both programs have languished for a long time and have been "coaching graveyards" but both have potential. It just takes a good coach who knows what he is doing. Supposedly UMASS is ready to invest in basketball and increase it's salary pool. If so that's a terrific first HC gig for anyone. I would argue its a better job than URI because there are probably many more good basketball recruits in MASS than RI. People on this board knock the UMASS gig because they are afraid of the competition (Camby Jitters)
UMass could be a good job for a great coach but I don’t think there’s “Camby jitters.” The A10 doesn’t have the juice it did back then. Playing in the Big East is a world away from the A10. Back in Camby’s day they were more comparable. The Big East was better but the A10 was very good.

UMass is still going to be a good job for a good recruiter that can make his guys play really hard. The key difference between now and the 90’s is simple. Calipari cheated his butt off and that just isn’t going to happen now. Nobody is buying a Marcus Camby in Amherst these days. People that think UMass can do what they did in 96’ again aren’t considering the realities of modern UMass. Cheating won’t be tolerated and they aren’t going to hire a suspected cheater either.

The next great UMass coach will need to be a great recruiter that really knows how to teach and develop players. I can definitely see Kimani doing well there, but depending on what his agent thinks, there may be better opportunities.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Stubblefield was an assistant for 25 years. Tommy Lloyd was at Gonzaga for 20 yeas. Ben Johnson for 15 including 5 years at the school that eventually hired him.

Kimani's been an asst for 9 years.

Nike connections for Stubblefield, dominant program for Lloyd, AD familiarity for Johnson. They're definitely the exceptions.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
UMASS and Depaul are actually comparable jobs.
I don’t think so because Big East > A10.

Also Chicago > Amherst.

But UMASS has the “University of…” thing that Bobby Knight advised Calhoun was important when Calhoun was starting out, and that’s one of the reasons he wanted the UConn job.

And if they have the resources and are willing to spend them, it could be a good job.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I don’t think so because Big East > A10.

Also Chicago > Amherst.

But UMASS has the “University of…” thing that Bobby Knight advised Calhoun was important when Calhoun was starting out, and that’s one of the reasons he wanted the UConn job.

And if they have the resources and are willing to spend them, it could be a good job.
They also don’t have ten better programs to climb over, unlike Depaul.

Reaction Score
We were the Big East doormat when Calhoun took over; he used the competition in the conference as a recruiting tool, e.g. “You’ll get to play against the best.

It’s a great strategy. Mora is using it effectively in his recruiting. Playing basketball in the Big East is worlds better than the A10. Its like playing in the NBA vs playing Europe.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Unlikely. He hasn't been a head coach anywhere at all I don't think. Definitely not college or high school. He was the director of New Heights before he became a college assistant.
He definitely would have some head coach learning curve but given his DMV connections, I think he would end up being an outstanding hire for Georgetown. He probably won’t get the shot though.

For what it’s worth, if he were to go to UMass, I think he’ll be a little bit of a pain in the ass for us recruiting wise. But, overall, if you mess where to get good, it’s good for New England basketball and good for Connecticut to have a viable Regional competitor.

Reaction Score
He definitely would have some head coach learning curve but given his DMV connections, I think he would end up being an outstanding hire for Georgetown. He probably won’t get the shot though.

For what it’s worth, if he were to go to UMass, I think he’ll be a little bit of a pain in the ass for us recruiting wise. But, overall, if you mess where to get good, it’s good for New England basketball and good for Connecticut to have a viable Regional competitor.
Kimani's connections are in the NYC area. Maybe you're thinking of Kenya Hunter? He had the DMV connections.

I don't think UConn and UMass will be recruiting at the same level. There's no way 98% of the kids Hurley wants are going to seriously consider UMass. UConn might lose 1 recruit in the next 10 years to UMass.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Kimani's connections are in the NYC area. Maybe you're thinking of Kenya Hunter? He had the DMV connections.

I don't think UConn and UMass will be recruiting at the same level. There's no way 98% of the kids Hurley wants are going to seriously consider UMass. UConn might lose 1 recruit in the next 10 years to UMass.
Yep, I flipped their responsibilities. I kind of agree with you about UMass, but then again I never thought we’d lose Camby to them.

Reaction Score
Getting busted with 96 lbs of weed is a plus in my book. That felony will also be wiped when PA legalizes.
This why I like Hurley though. Takes chances on guys like this, gives them 2nd chances. I'm sure growing up he was around a lot of people that had similar issues that didn't get second chances. Reminds of something Calhoun would do (like with Caron and even Stanley Robinson to a lesser degree).

Reaction Score
Blauds backtracking in the absolute worst of ways

I applaud the stupidity to double down on this take by claiming that he was right, but the snag is a well-known part of Kimani's past that is turned up by a simple Google search, and that was somehow unknown to UMass until they were about to put pen to paper.

Reaction Score
This why I like Hurley though. Takes chances on guys like this, gives them 2nd chances. I'm sure growing up he was around a lot of people that had similar issues that didn't get second chances. Reminds of something Calhoun would do (like with Caron and even Stanley Robinson to a lesser degree).
lol Young was an assistant coach at Minnesota in the Big 10, you make it sound like Hurley hired him out of work release.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom