OT: - UMass HC Frank Martin upset with social media criticism | The Boneyard

OT: UMass HC Frank Martin upset with social media criticism

Reaction Score
Wild thread on some comments from Frank Martin about social media criticism (in full below tweet):

[Before Saint Joe's on Thursday]
"There's some people that have opinions on social media that I've dealt with personally already, and believe me, me and them will have a man to man when the season is over."

"I don't create problems, I treat people with respect. But anyone that comes after my players by name, and being critical of them, me and them got a problem for life. Anyone comes after my family, me and them got a problem that's gonna get fixed."

“It is a shame when people claim to be UMass people, and they wanna be negatively critical of college kids that are being demanded to go to class, to work, to come in the gym day and night to become better players. And people attack them personally on social media."

"I purposefully went on social media after our VCU game because I kind of had a feeling that I knew people were gonna be commenting ... People wanna say that I don't run good offense and they wanna share the offense I should be running

"Believe me I ain't losing a second of sleep over it. People wanna say my substitution patterns stink, they don't like how I scream? I get it, be my guest. I'm not losing sleep at night over it. But over me, am I gonna have anyone come after my players and degrade them with negativity when all those kids do is sacrifice their minds, their bodies for the benefit of this University. That one ain't ever happening."

On if he's seen social media directly affect his players:
"Yes, if not I wouldn't speak about it. They're children, ... And for people to come after them, vilifying them, degrading them, I ain't the one man. I ain't the one. My job is to help these kids and demand that they do things the right way. And take my word for it, nobody demands that they work more than me, and they're being held accountable every day."

"I've never spoken about this publicly, you know why? Because it's never happened to any of my players at any school anywhere I've been."

"Yeah we didn't play a good game. Yeah a couple guys need to play better, they hear it from me. But for some average Joe sitting in an office somewhere being a keyboard warrior attacking people personally, they got a meeting with me. I pay attention. You come after me I don't lose any sleep over it. Come after somebody that I'm responsible for? Me and you got a problem."

Reaction Score
Wild thread on some comments from Frank Martin about social media criticism (in full below tweet):

[Before Saint Joe's on Thursday]
"There's some people that have opinions on social media that I've dealt with personally already, and believe me, me and them will have a man to man when the season is over."

"I don't create problems, I treat people with respect. But anyone that comes after my players by name, and being critical of them, me and them got a problem for life. Anyone comes after my family, me and them got a problem that's gonna get fixed."

“It is a shame when people claim to be UMass people, and they wanna be negatively critical of college kids that are being demanded to go to class, to work, to come in the gym day and night to become better players. And people attack them personally on social media."

"I purposefully went on social media after our VCU game because I kind of had a feeling that I knew people were gonna be commenting ... People wanna say that I don't run good offense and they wanna share the offense I should be running

"Believe me I ain't losing a second of sleep over it. People wanna say my substitution patterns stink, they don't like how I scream? I get it, be my guest. I'm not losing sleep at night over it. But over me, am I gonna have anyone come after my players and degrade them with negativity when all those kids do is sacrifice their minds, their bodies for the benefit of this University. That one ain't ever happening."

On if he's seen social media directly affect his players:
"Yes, if not I wouldn't speak about it. They're children, ... And for people to come after them, vilifying them, degrading them, I ain't the one man. I ain't the one. My job is to help these kids and demand that they do things the right way. And take my word for it, nobody demands that they work more than me, and they're being held accountable every day."

"I've never spoken about this publicly, you know why? Because it's never happened to any of my players at any school anywhere I've been."

"Yeah we didn't play a good game. Yeah a couple guys need to play better, they hear it from me. But for some average Joe sitting in an office somewhere being a keyboard warrior attacking people personally, they got a meeting with me. I pay attention. You come after me I don't lose any sleep over it. Come after somebody that I'm responsible for? Me and you got a problem."

Frank needs to calm down with the whole tough guy thing. He looks like the message board/social media clowns who challenge people to parking lot fights.

If players are having fans come on their social media those fans are pathetic but there's an easy fix for that. Make your social media private. If Frank thinks fans aren't going to be critical of players on their own social media he's completely out of his mind.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Too bad this overshadows Diggins scoring as many points today as Akok, Floyd, and Gaffney combined. And having the same number of of assists and rebounds as Floyd and Gaffney combined. Rahsool's breakout game.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Sounds like he is losing sleep over it, contrary to his claim. Also, can you imagine if DH scrolled the yard after a loss? And I’ve always respected and appreciated Frank Martin. Still do.

Reaction Score
I get what he’s saying it’s a Mike Gundy redux - except at at social media vs the press.

I lke Frank Martin

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Too bad this overshadows Diggins scoring as many points today as Akok, Floyd, and Gaffney combined. And having the same number of of assists and rebounds as Floyd and Gaffney combined. Rahsool's breakout game.
Yup led his team in scoring. Would be cool to see it work out for him.

Btw Akok had 14, 10, 2 steals and 3 blocks against Xavier today. Lol Floyd and Gaffney were pedestrian though.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting this. Maybe some of our awful posters will think twice before having full on mental breakdowns on the boneyard. Never know who (players/coaches) is reading.

Players should not be reading social media unless they're really tough mentally

Right, wrong or indifferent, it's society 2023. Every fan base in the country vents, unless there's no fan base

Now what I adamantly oppose is people attacking kids on the players personal accounts. That's wrong, grow up.

Reaction Score
Sounds like Frank is going door-to-door after the season. Tracking down those who bad mouthed his players. Then kicking their a**es.

Sounds like a halfway decent Netflix or YouTube series.
Goodfellas style

Reaction Score
Seems paranoid. Maybe better suited for an assistant coaching job out of the spotlight?

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I think Martin is referring more about twitter than message boards. Personally, I don't think I've ever been mean to a player but I've certainly said "I wish so and so did this better or I wish so and would stop doing that". Critiquing the team good and bad is why we are on the Boneyard (and Pizza, music, travel, Arby's etc.).

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He’s right. But he’s emboldening the trolls when he acknowledges their impact. The rude tweets are going to intensify after losses from here on out.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Haven’t been following but it looks like Martin made a change at point and is starting Sool now?

Reaction Score
He’s right. But he’s emboldening the trolls when he acknowledges their impact. The rude tweets are going to intensify after losses from here on out.
The trolls will go after him which is probably his intention. He also has to be a bit of a father figure to show the parents of his players I will fight for your kids. Social media is brutal because families are also affected in it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom