Umass greaseball coach takes shot at Uconn | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Umass greaseball coach takes shot at Uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I know you think they are our equal but there not even close. They are not rivals period

This. I know for many of us (including me because I graduated in '97), we remember the long rivalry and history with UMass in a certain manner. In 1997, they were certainly our rival and our equal. But 16 years has gone by (uggh!), and it is safe to say that they are most certainly NOT our equals or anything resembling it anymore...

Reaction Score
I never even said they are equals. WTF. They are still historical rivals and if we start playing them on a regular basis instead of Buffalo, it'll pick back up.

uconnbill...seriously man, what do you smoke or inhale?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I never even said they are equals. WTF. They are still historical rivals and if we start playing them on a regular basis instead of Buffalo, it'll pick back up.

I think you're missing the point, Butchy. The point is that URI is also a very classical and historic rival of ours as well, but they no longer belong on the same field as us anymore. What we are remembering and what is currently the reality are two separate things.

Now if the goal is to try to play them just so that we can pad our historical record against them, well, I guess. But how does that really help us in 2013 and beyond?

Reaction Score
I think you're missing the point, Butchy. The point is that URI is also a very classical and historic rival of ours as well, but they no longer belong on the same field as us anymore. What we are remembering and what is currently the reality are two separate things.

Now if the goal is to try to play them just so that we can pad our historical record against them, well, I guess. But how does that really help us in 2013 and beyond?
It's not as if it is impossible for UMass to go further than the MAC. It definitely would take time, yes.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
It's not as if it is impossible for UMass to go further than the MAC. It definitely would take time, yes.

I think what people are trying to say is, "Okay, well then we wait for the day when they are ready to go further than the MAC."

Reaction Score
Wait a minute here.....seems you are snubbing your nose at the MAC. Not exactly sure what you guys find so inferior there. Western Michigan is a mid- level Mac team.

Reaction Score
I think what people are trying to say is, "Okay, well then we wait for the day when they are ready to go further than the MAC."
We might be able to help by playing them regularly. But we would still have the upper-hand in every way for a long time.

Mark W...the correct score for the game last season was 37-0. Not 23-0.

Reaction Score
We might be able to help by playing them regularly. But we would still have the upper-hand in every way for a long time.

Mark W...the correct score for the game last season was 37-0. Not 23-0.

I was talking about what the defense gave up....UConn had a pick-6 and a punt blocked in the end zone for a TD for 14 of the points

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Wait a minute here.....seems you are snubbing your nose at the MAC. Not exactly sure what you guys find so inferior there. Western Michigan is a mid- level Mac team.

No, I'm not snubbing the MAC at all. They play some quality ball, and I believe that they have been underrated by the media for quite some time. But what I'm saying is that UMass has to at least get to a point where they can compete with those teams. It's hard to argue that they can currently (1-11 with their only win against Akron who was also 1-11). And some of the losses weren't just losses, they were blowouts:

1) W. Mich. - 52-14
2) Bowling Green - 24 -0
3) N. Ill. - 63-0
4) Cent. Mich. - 42-21

Look, I'm not stating any of this to pick on UMass. What I'm saying is that people aren't looking forward to the game the way they did in '97. After seeing us win 37-0 this past year, they CERTAINLY aren't looking forward to it in the near future. This is a fanbase that is begging not to see Buffalo anymore, and Buffalo can compete in the MAC...

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

You have stated in the past that we should add UMASS to the NBE and they would be a good rivalry for UConn. I am just going by what you have said in the past.

Reaction Score
After seeing us win 37-0 this past year, they CERTAINLY aren't looking forward to it in the near future.

That's not true, after this year's game with UMASS most UCONN fans posting in here felt Warde should schedule UMASS on a yearly basis because the game does create more buzz than any other MAC team.

It's blatantly obvious that the instinct to not play UMASS has nothing to do with a lack of interest, it has everything to do with protecting our recruiting territory (aka treat them the way BC treats us)

Reaction Score
No, I'm not snubbing the MAC at all. They play some quality ball, and I believe that they have been underrated by the media for quite some time. But what I'm saying is that UMass has to at least get to a point where they can compete with those teams. It's hard to argue that they can currently (1-11 with their only win against Akron who was also 1-11). And some of the losses weren't just losses, they were blowouts:

1) W. Mich. - 52-14
2) Bowling Green - 24 -0
3) N. Ill. - 63-0
4) Cent. Mich. - 42-21

Look, I'm not stating any of this to pick on UMass. What I'm saying is that people aren't looking forward to the game the way they did in '97. After seeing us win 37-0 this past year, they CERTAINLY aren't looking forward to it in the near future. This is a fanbase that is begging not to see Buffalo anymore, and Buffalo can compete in the MAC...

I get what you are saying and I agree in regards to UMass and their falling off the map in the last 15 years. But being here and watching the changes, they are finally doing the right things. They hired the right basketball coach, paid him adequately, and the results are showing. They hired what I believe to be the right football coach, invested money in McGuirk, cut a sweet deal with Gillette, and the results are already showing. Their signing class this year is ranked #3 in the MAC. I know it is baby steps and I also know it takes time. I just have a bit of a problem with statements like "they don't belong on the same field with us". To be quite honest with you, UConn football has not been all that impressive the last couple of years. I hope it comes back, I really do. Even though I am a UMass fan, I am not a UConn hater. Uconn being successful is good for college sports in New England. I sincerely hope UMass can keep improving and become competitive and give the rivalry a chance to be rekindled

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
That's not true, after this year's game with UMASS most UCONN fans posting in here felt Warde should schedule UMASS on a yearly basis because the game does create more buzz than any other MAC team.

It's blatantly obvious that the instinct to not play UMASS has nothing to do with a lack of interest, it has everything to do with protecting our recruiting territory (aka treat them the way BC treats us)

I wish that were true and that we were just trying to "BC" them as a fanbase, but clearly you weren't reading the same posts as I was on the BY. I wouldn't mind playing against UMass instead of Buffalo, but most people think that our new SOS in the new Big East will be so unattractive as to force us to schedule as brutal an OOC as possible...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I get what you are saying and I agree in regards to UMass and their falling off the map in the last 15 years. But being here and watching the changes, they are finally doing the right things. They hired the right basketball coach, paid him adequately, and the results are showing. They hired what I believe to be the right football coach, invested money in McGuirk, cut a sweet deal with Gillette, and the results are already showing. Their signing class this year is ranked #3 in the MAC. I know it is baby steps and I also know it takes time. I just have a bit of a problem with statements like "they don't belong on the same field with us". To be quite honest with you, UConn football has not been all that impressive the last couple of years. I hope it comes back, I really do. Even though I am a UMass fan, I am not a UConn hater. Uconn being successful is good for college sports in New England. I sincerely hope UMass can keep improving and become competitive and give the rivalry a chance to be rekindled

I understand a lot of what you're saying. I don't know how I feel about Gillette, but many of the points are valid. But keep in mind that this past year, we were one game below 0.500 in a BCS conference (the weakest, yes, but still) with a win over a top15 opponent and many people wanted to hand the coach his unemployment check. We are simply at another level right now (not trying to start anything with that comment), and the fans know it. What's more, the paying fans want to see it. They don't want to see the MAC anymore. They want to see Michigan and Tennessee and Virginia and NC State and Maryland and...

Reaction Score
I understand a lot of what you're saying. I don't know how I feel about Gillette, but many of the points are valid. But keep in mind that this past year, we were one game below 0.500 in a BCS conference (the weakest, yes, but still) with a win over a top15 opponent and many people wanted to hand the coach his unemployment check. We are simply at another level right now (not trying to start anything with that comment), and the fans know it. What's more, the paying fans want to see it. They don't want to see the MAC anymore. They want to see Michigan and Tennessee and Virginia and NC State and Maryland and...

Gottcha....and from a SOS standpoint I would not want to play UMass now either.I guess I just don't see it taking as long as some others seem to believe. I truly believe that Molnar will have UMass extremely competitive in the Mac in 2-3 years, Kellogg has gotten basketball relevant again and the future looks bright there, hockey, both lacrosse teams, and women's softball are ranked every year.

That said, UConn is at a different level right now and I get what you are saying

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Gottcha....and from a SOS standpoint I would not want to play UMass now either.I guess I just don't see it taking as long as some others seem to believe. I truly believe that Molnar will have UMass extremely competitive in the Mac in 2-3 years, Kellogg has gotten basketball relevant again and the future looks bright there, hockey, both lacrosse teams, and women's softball are ranked every year.

That said, UConn is at a different level right now and I get what you are saying

I think if the conference situation was different for us, it would be a no-brainer. You would take the place of our Buffalo game, and that would be that. But hey, based on the current conference situation, we might be partners soon anyway! All the talk is that team #14 for the Big East will either be Tulsa or UMass, so there's a 50/50 chance that this will no longer be considered an OOC game...

Reaction Score
UMass is located far from relevant Boston and worse it gets NOTHING from the state in terms of support$$$. UConn in comparison is about to get another billion from the State. This matters.

Reaction Score
You have stated in the past that we should add UMASS to the NBE and they would be a good rivalry for UConn. I am just going by what you have said in the past.
And it's not as if I continually insisted. Is Tulane equal to us? Seriously? Are there many other options even left?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
And it's not as if I continually insisted. Is Tulane equal to us? Seriously? Are there many other options even left?

Again you don't offer a team you may have to compete with in the future a leg up. Sorry I don't have any love for UMASS like you do. I want them to be terrible year in and year out.

Tulane stinks but they at least have a market and UMass has Amherst. Not exactly a market now is it

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Rivalry? In the greatest season of UMass football, they lost to UConn twice.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
UMass is Memphis North.

accept memphis has a great bball arena, a huge stadium that was recently reno. a big tv market, fertile recruit ground, has a huge booster and a bucnh more but not a big deal

Reaction Score
accept memphis has a great bball arena, a huge stadium that was recently reno. a big tv market, fertile recruit ground, has a huge booster and a bucnh more but not a big deal

Ever been to Memphis State? How can they have boosters? All of their fans wear Orange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom