UM AD on Mich vs Uconn at Rent | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UM AD on Mich vs Uconn at Rent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good deal. Will have to respect Michigan for honoring commitment. Great marketing opportunity for UConn - "Wow, you guys have Michigan coming into your stadium, nice!" Big time college football. As for the Meadowlands? The Jets play there. The Giants play there. Pick a game and go. UConn is in Connecticut, it is not Rutgers University at Storrs.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Good deal. Will have to respect Michigan for honoring commitment. Great marketing opportunity for UConn - "Wow, you guys have Michigan coming into your stadium, nice!" Big time college football. As for the Meadowlands? The Jets play there. The Giants play there. Pick a game and go. UConn is in Connecticut, it is not Rutgers University at Storrs.

That is a great point. Having the Wolverines come and play at The Rent does more for the program than 3 games at the Meadowlands or 10 games at UMass' home field.

Reaction Score
The bowl is an historic stadium and many uncomfortable venues were built with it as a model. The area is not designed for primarily automobile crowds of 50,000 plus. Last I looked, there are no special trains and the streetcar tracks from the RR station to the bowl haven't been there for 65 years. I have attended games at the Yale Bowl, old City Stadium in Philadelphia (1964-site of ND-Navy for years), Michigan Stadium (in the 1950's) and the Rose Bowl (1966). At City Stadium the trains used to pull up right to the stadium and wait in the yard there. If you are 35 years old and don't mind horrible traffic and being stuffed into a space the size of an airline coach seat I say go for it. I did. Being over 60 now I expect a modicum of comfort (benches are fine, but not for 60,000+ people). I don't fly coach anymore unless the flight is 90 minutes or less and it's not worth a painful back. The UConn-Yale games at the Bowl were not close to sellouts and there was plenty of elbow room that made up for the crappy seating. Play a Michigan and it's sardine time. Despite my love for the game, no thanks.

Reaction Score
The UConn-Yale games at the Bowl were not close to sellouts and there was plenty of elbow room that made up for the crappy seating. Play a Michigan and it's sardine time. Despite my love for the game, no thanks.

Elbow room and crappy seating, the same complaints were made by some UCONN fans who went to the Michigan game two years ago. They pack you in there too. Things aren't exactly comfy cozy on the Rent benches when it is a sellout either.

There is one negative to a big game at the Yale Bowl and only one, there is a lack of parking and many would have to park in downtown New Haven and take a shuttle bus. All the other negatives could easily be said about other "Big Time" venues. I personally would rather park in New Haven and take a quick shuttle bus ride then have to deal with driving to NJ and the fact that all seats are close to the field is another nice bonus. I'm glad you agree that it is a historic venue. Yale Bowl is a dump the same way Fenway Park and Wrigley field are dumps.

BTW anyone who has ever attended a game at Army has probably taken a shuttle bus ride and that venue is as good as it gets. A magnificent place to see a college football game.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Things aren't exactly comfy cozy on the Rent benches when it is a sellout either.

I'm throwing a flag on this one. The width of the benches at the Rent is excellent, IMO and I know width.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I can't believe this thread is still going!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
There are many htings that continue to amaze me, among them the fascination with the Yale Bowl which seems to exist among some UConn fans. Why in the name of heaven would we want to play a football game at the Yale Bowl when we have a modern easily accessable stadium 35 minutes away that is UConn's home field? NO sense to give up home field advantage to lay there if nothing else. And please drop the idea of playing Yale, especially at the Bowl. Major conference teams don't play FCS teams at their stadium.

OrsonWellesClap.gif

Reaction Score
Yale Bowl is a traffic nightmare. Last time I went to Yale-Harvard a couple of years back I spent two hours in traffic about a mile from the stadium. The bowl has no lights, the press box is open air and the seats are very close to one another which can make anyone 5-10 or taller pretty uncomfortable. I'm from New Haven and I love the Bowl but it's not suitable

Reaction Score
OK, a repeat of my thoughts on Yale Bowl. . . .no issues with a one-time gig, like the 100th anniversary of a game against a BCS opponent. (like BC in 2014, etc.). Playing in NH does 'expand the brand' as they say. Malloy, DiStefano can make the traffic work. Beyond that no dice.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
OK, a repeat of my thoughts on Yale Bowl. . . .no issues with a one-time gig, like the 100th anniversary of a game against a BCS opponent. (like BC in 2014, etc.). Playing in NH does 'expand the brand' as they say. Malloy, DiStefano can make the traffic work.

Stop it, I was just there for the tennis tournament. The route was awful just for that small crowd. Besides why would we want to revisit a time when Yale bossed us around? Back in the day, Yale refused to come to Storrs. If we wanted to play them, it would have to be at Yale. That's why it boggles my mind when I read posters wanting us to bend over for other teams.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
What I am concerned about for this game is the number of U of M fans who are going to be doing anything and everything to get tickets - Ive got a sister and cousin who attended U of M and they are already bugging me about tickets - there are so many alumni in NYC and surrounding areas (at least 10% of the undergrads are from NY, and probably more head to the city after graduation). I think we will see lots of U of M people buying season tickets next year just to attend that game, since the cost for many New Yorkers is inconsequential, and that will leave loads of empty seats for the other games. UCONN fans will need to step up and buy out the stadium in advance, and keep the maize and gold out of the Rent.

Reaction Score
The season ticket buy out thing has been done before with other college football teams vs. a major opponent. There are ways to mitigate it which I won't go into here because it's boring. Hey, I want to see the game very much and love the Huskies but if some UM idiot wants to pay me $250 for my ticket or $500 for the pair I'll stay home for that game and watch it on TV. I've been to plenty of big sporting events in my life but I've never overpaid for them. Does the same thing happen with the UT game, too? I love opera but don't go to the Met because it's a fortune and I can't justify it. My big weakness is foreign travel and I will spend for that, I guess. The size of the stadium will create a huge demand and I again urge the athletic guys to add some seating around the scoreboard and charge a healthy fee for a ticket.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Rent having a "hot" ticket is a cause for concern? In what universe?

Reaction Score
No to Yale Bowl, We have our own stadium.

As far a UM fans buying season tix, maybe having people purchase tix from Stub Hub for the other games will entice them to get season tickets from now on.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
What I am concerned about for this game is the number of U of M fans who are going to be doing anything and everything to get tickets - Ive got a sister and cousin who attended U of M and they are already bugging me about tickets - there are so many alumni in NYC and surrounding areas (at least 10% of the undergrads are from NY, and probably more head to the city after graduation). I think we will see lots of U of M people buying season tickets next year just to attend that game, since the cost for many New Yorkers is inconsequential, and that will leave loads of empty seats for the other games. UCONN fans will need to step up and buy out the stadium in advance, and keep the maize and gold out of the Rent.
I think the three year license thing will help with this... we should not see a huge uptick, especially if there is a two year commit.

Reaction Score
Playing in a "home" game in an NFL stadium is minor indignity when compared to playing in another University's stadium. Good grief. Nothing about that idea makes sense or is appealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom