UK One and Done Factory | The Boneyard

UK One and Done Factory

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Does anyone recall how Calipari started with this 1 and done factory? Did he just happen to get a bunch of guys that wanted to play together, like Lebron/Wade/Bosh did? Then he just kept it going?

Reaction Score
It's about getting the best players but Calipari has definitely created something entirely different than we have seen before. His entire sales pitch is he could care less about winning NCAA championships and his sole mission is to get a bunch of kids drafted every year. Many kids could care less about winning in college and just want the fastest way to the huge paycheck. He basically runs his practices like a combine with invites to NBA scouts and his street agent buddies. I think it all sucks but it is what it is. He makes a mockery of the system but the system is a mockery to begin with.

Reaction Score
He wanted to be the one and done factory. He was very pro one and done from the beginning. He wooed one and dones.

He openly said, "If you want to be a one and done, come here."

Reaction Score
How many UConn fans would be crying and complaining if Kevin signed 3 Top 10 players in one year. I wonder how fast that "it's fun watching guys grow over four years" would go out the window.

Reaction Score
It all started with Dajuan Wagner at Memphis. Milt Wagner (the former Louisville star) was hired as an assistant and World Wide Wes who was Milt's friend became tight with Calipari. Wes had a lot of influence and soon Derrick Rose and Tyreke Evans followed the same path @ Memphis. Kentucky became Memphis on steroids once Calipari realized the resources allowed him to get multiple one and dones a year versus only one. As we know though, one and dones who aren't Anthony Davis don't necessarily win championships regardless of where you are picked in the NBA draft.

Reaction Score
It's about getting the best players but Calipari has definitely created something entirely different than we have seen before. His entire sales pitch is he could care less about winning NCAA championships and his sole mission is to get a bunch of kids drafted every year. Many kids could care less about winning in college and just want the fastest way to the huge paycheck. He basically runs his practices like a combine with invites to NBA scouts and his street agent buddies. I think it all sucks but it is what it is. He makes a mockery of the system but the system is a mockery to begin with.

this is on the nba and players association, they royally screwed up once again in the new cba not allowing one and dones. it seems to be the consensus from everyone that they don't want high schoolers, and think one year in school means something.

Reaction Score
I disagree, yes I'd want my team to be amazing every year, but if your team becomes a literal revolving door you really don't get to know the players. To me, DHam will be forgotten in a few years, sure he wont be an NBA star and that's a big part of it, but I have such fond memories of guys like Tony Robertson, Giffey, Taliek, etc. As long as my Huskies have some great success every say 4 years, I would much rather have my team be a family type atmosphere where we struggle along with guys as untouted rookies and watch them grow into full players who get a shot at the NBA

Reaction Score
It all started with Dajuan Wagner at Memphis. Milt Wagner (the former Louisville star) was hired as an assistant and World Wide Wes who was Milt's friend became tight with Calipari. Wes had a lot of influence and soon Derrick Rose and Tyreke Evans followed the same path @ Memphis. Kentucky became Memphis on steroids once Calipari realized the resources allowed him to get multiple one and dones a year versus only one. As we know though, one and dones who aren't Anthony Davis don't necessarily win championships regardless of where you are picked in the NBA draft.
He was greasing palms at Memphis and early on at Kentucky but with the resources at Kentucky and the track record of 1 and done success it became easier and most likely less dirty.

Reaction Score
Give him credit, he saw the one and done era coming just as the NBA started forcing kids to go to college for at least a season. He was the first providing the market for one-and-dones and, doing it at Kentucky of all places, is what drew recruits there to start. Then after one season the media picked it up, ran with it, and here we are now.

Reaction Score
Don't care who he brings in or puts in the NBA, with that talent, if you are not winning titles you are fleecing the program.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Don't care who he brings in or puts in the NBA, with that talent, if you are not winning titles you are fleecing the program.
What?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
How many UConn fans would be crying and complaining if Kevin signed 3 Top 10 players in one year. I wonder how fast that "it's fun watching guys grow over four years" would go out the window.
Well, it was fun if they actually grow.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Anyone saying they wouldn't want their classes is delusional.
I am by no means delusional and yes I would love to have that talent every year but I also like to bond with a team and a program and watch kids get better.
I've coached soccer for over 25 years at levels from U-10 thru college and ODP and I guess that has forged me into a team type person vs a "factory" type approach.
I enjoyed watching Giffs for 4 years and Kemba for 3 and Ray for 3 etc
I don't really appreciate the fact that 7 members of the incoming freshmen class are going to take some lame 1st semester courses to stay eligible, play basket ball for 5 months and leave school without caring about 2nd semester grades, etc.
One or 2 one and dones in a few year- yeah
A whole team every year - hell no

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
this is on the nba and players association, they royally screwed up once again in the new cba not allowing one and dones. it seems to be the consensus from everyone that they don't want high schoolers, and think one year in school means something.

Yeah it means they have less risk because they get to see them for a year.

presskh

Memphis Fan
Reaction Score
You hit the nail on the head. Getting in tight with WWW was the key. Plus, Calipari was smart - no emails, no written letters - only direct word of mouth communication between him and WWW.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You hit the nail on the head. Getting in tight with WWW was the key. Plus, Calipari was smart - no emails, no written letters - only direct word of mouth communication between him and WWW.

Plausible deniability...buffers...just like the mafia.

I see the one and done thing like this. You have to either go all in or all out, give or take one player. I think trying to mix a team with half 3-4 year guys and half one and done guys is damn near impossible to make work. The chemistry is almost definitely going to be a nightmare. If you bring in one one and done guy it has to fill a hole and not displace a well liked player that is viewed as a key member of the team. In our current incarnation, a one and done big would be great for next year.

Reaction Score
Calipari is getting his own 30 for 30 for f*'s sake. He doesn't need to do anything anymore.

Squid: "no matter the success of our team...you will get the most media, resources, scouts, largest fan base, and only need to focus on school for one semester at a below average academic school."

That's a fast track's dream. Hell...that'd be my dream as a 1&done outside the academics

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom