Uh oh.......Lakers coming calling | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Uh oh.......Lakers coming calling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What's even worse is reading the comments generated by some of these articles. Most of these laker fans are more delusional than Rutgers Al, or your average cuse fan. They seem to assume that whichever candidate the organzation wants is theirs for the asking. Like being the lakers coach is the most desirable job in the world, and no one could possibly turn it down.

To be fair, it's maybe the top job in the basketball coaching profession.

Right now they're bad, but they won't be for long...they never are.

Reaction Score
Let's hope they land Calimari. Then, of course, Ken$ucky comes calling for Ollie. Hmm... Not sure I like that either LOL...
Ollie isn't leaving Uconn for Kentucky. The Lakers is a whole different story.
Can't blame him for going if he does.

Reaction Score
No employee owes his employer or coworkers any more than his best work for the period for which he is being paid. KO is free to do what is best for him and his family without criticism from me. If he leaves, UConn just has to figure out what the next step is.
Ray is close to retirement.

Reaction Score
Dude is 69 years old.

He'll be very successful with the Lakers just like Syracuse. I'm sure he'll be able to cram the schedule with wall-to-wall Utahs, Philadelphias and Milwaukees, right?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Ollie should talk to the Lakers, and then talk to Warde, then Warde should put together the extension based on that conversation. If KO is willing to do the extension without talking to the Lakers, even better, but UConn shouldn't (and won't) try to lowball him.

Of course, we're not going to get any leaks about any of the steps in that process, and the fanbase will freak the duck* out until the extension is signed, sealed and delivered.

Reaction Score
I really don't think he will, but on the offchance he does decide to leave this year, he'd earn a spot on my personal mount rushmore of hypocrites.

I don't mind Ollie-isms, in fact I quite like most of them. But you can't talk like that and then bolt this fast.

Pay Him What A,National Champion Head Coach Should Be Making. Right Now Is Underpaid And That Cannot Be Disputed.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Yuck, but on bright side
1. Adds more credence to Rex Chapman's leak that Calimari would be coaching the Lakers
2. Derek Fisher is a better choice in terms of pleasing both Kobe and luring KD
3. Van Gundy makes a ton of sense and is a less risky higher. KO makes a splash but other than the Olliewood marketing the natural fit parts are missing.
4. The lucky-sperm-club Buss generation seems to be more bungling than smart, hopefully they don't go for the great coach, better person choice.
EDIT
5. This is the leverage KO needs AND USES to lock up a long-term deal at UConn
If we are able to keep him-we better pay him what he's worth, or what it will take to keep him. I'm not sure how KO would not consider the big $$$$$. He could put enough away for them for all their lives. If he goes, I think Jim Calhoun comes back. And then JC leaves at the end of KO's contract, And maybe KO comes back to settle here for a long long time. KO certainly understands both cultures, NBA and college. He will make the right decision for him and his family. Does he have children? I hope he has a boat load and doesn't want to uproot them!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
beat me to it
This may be why JC floated the idea on Francessa's show at or near the end of the season. This could be the plan?

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Lakers are the only NBA team that scares me. Los Angeles connection is the main reason. I do believe that the position will be available 10 years out though. So Ollie hopefully will wait to consider if offered.
Couldn't blame him for taking the big bucks now and coming back later. His stock will never be higher, or may never be higher than it is now!

Reaction Score
Come on. Coaching is now his profession. He has an obligation to his family. He may decide that staying at UConn, his alma mater is in the best interest of his family. Let's not start turning this into a moral debate so we can bash afterwards if he decides to leave.

Your comment about KO being a "man of faith" combined with Kevin Durant's known and strong grounding in his own faith combined with his strong relationship with KO make, imo, this a VERY dangerous situation for UCONN. I don't want to turn this into a discussion about faith,religion or whatever; but, the involvement of that aspect of KO's life in most of what he does and how he lives combined, as I said, with his relationship with Durant; and quite possibly the types of players the Lakers want to draw to the organization(with winning championships again a big part of the agenda) make this a situation where no UCONN fan should feel comfortable or confident that he is locked in to Storrs. What could quite possibly bode well for us keeping KO(besides the already discussed commitment he has shown toward the university) is that KO and Kobe Bryant,imo, would never, ever work well together............polar opposites!

GO HUSKIES!!!
2014 NCAA NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!
UCONN_2014.jpg

Last edited:

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
If Ollie goes, we get Shaka Smart (a favorite with Boneyarders), thereby keeping our recruits and keep on rolling. We'll be fine.

Reaction Score
KO preached loyalty and look what it got him and the team and us fanatics. Players bought it because they believed in this man of awesome integrity. He talks out of truth and spirit. He will not act contrary to his words. He loves UConn. He loves Connecticut. We are not a stepping stone program. He'll be mentioned by anyone looking to plant a name for years. He's not going anywhere yet.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
If Ollie goes, we get Shaka Smart (a favorite with Boneyarders), thereby keeping our recruits and keep on rolling. We'll be fine.
Imagine that. The great Boneyard debate, Ollie vs. Shaka, ends with "You know what? We'll take both."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom