UConn's Remarkable Three Point Guard Lineup | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn's Remarkable Three Point Guard Lineup

Reaction Score
Quite true, but many of the things reducing our upside potential happened as the result of each new injury. every one reduced our upside compared to what it could have been if healthy. What this team has accomplished despite those is pretty remarkable, but the ceiling before the season began was considerably higher.
Heck yeah it was higher! We were obvious NC contenders, if not simply favorites. Then Jana was hurt, then Caroline and Ayanna and Azzi, then Aubrey. If some malevolent cosmic force wanted to cut the heart out of the team, it did a pretty good job of it. Paige and Aaliyah and Nika are going to take this team as far as they can, and that means molding some freshmen into roles they would otherwise not have had a chance to play.

In the end, I want to say "upside, schmupside. Anything is possible when those three put their minds and hearts into it." Now we just have to see what they can accomplish.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Through the years, UConn has fielded some terrific backcourt combinations: Shea & Sveta, Sue & DT, Mo & Kia and many others. But in all my years watching UConn WBB, I have never seen a UConn team that started 3 outstanding pg’s, Paige, Nika & KK, all of whom could start at pg for over 90% of the D1 teams in the country.

Starting 3 talented pg’s as part of a 4-guard lineup, presents several challenges. Obviously rebounding and defending the paint against bigger teams is one of those challenges. But as Geno has said, “While we may be challenged on defense, you’re going to have to guard us on offense.” The other issue that Geno notes is that his 3 pg’s are all used to having the ball in their hands all the time, so 70% of UConn’s practice time is currently devoted to integrating his 3 pg’s into an effective offense.

With that said, when Geno decided on a small, 4-guard lineup 10 games ago, thereby creating a 3-pg lineup it resulted in a radical transformation of this year’s team:
  • Ball movement & floor spacing – UConn’s 4 guards can all break down defenders off the dribble, and they can all shoot it, thanks in large part to Nika “working her ass off” to become a much better 3-pt shooter. Last year and earlier this year there were times when the ball “got stuck” and UConn’s offense bogged down. But over the last 10 games, UConn’s offense has become a symphony of outstanding ball and player movement, characterized by cutting, screening, great passing and lots of open shots. There was one play at Creighton that was shown from an overhead camera angle where Paige ran through a series of 4 screens set by 3 different teammates until she got an open look at the top of the arc, hitting nothing but net. It was a thing of beauty.
  • Lockdown defense – By their nature, pg’s are smart, quick and athletic. They understand ball movement and passing lanes. In Paige, Nika & KK, UConn has a trio of lockdown defenders who play suffocating defense and jump passing lanes like a pack of thieves. Over the past 10 games the Huskies have forced their opponents into 194 turnovers (121 steals). As Geno points out turning over your opponent gives you an extra possession as well as denying your opponent a possession, creating the potential for a 4-6 point turnaround.
  • Transition scoring – UConn is running at every opportunity. Last season, the ball had to find Nika first to lead the break or set up the offense. Not so this year. Following turnovers, rebounds or made baskets, the ball goes to whichever pg is closest while the other 2 pg’s, along with the other Husky players, take off down the court. You can see Geno exhorting his team on like a cavalry charge. UConn is getting a bunch of layups or wide-open jumpers before opponents set up their defense.
  • More player rest – With all the injuries last year, UConn’s starters played an exorbitant number of minutes. 5 players averaged over 30 mpg with Nika playing a ridiculous 36.6 mpg. While UConn doesn’t have a lot of depth this season, Geno is doing a nice job of running players in and out. Only Nika currently averages over 30 mpg at 30.5 mpg, and her average has been steadily dropping. With UConn blowing out opponents, as well as Ines solid play of late, I expect that no UConn player will average 30+ minutes per game by the end of the regular season, hopefully leading to a well-rested and healthy team for the Big Dance.
  • Ashlynn, the happiest player in WBB – As many BY’ers know, Ashlynn was also a pg in HS. But moving Ashlynn to shooting guard where she has thrived as Azzi’s replacement has been a godsend for the Huskies. Ashlynn is the Energizer Bunny, constantly moving to get open, confident in the knowledge that if she gets open one of the 3 pg’s will drop a perfect dime on her where she can then use her remarkable ability to quickly square up to the basket and knock down a shot. Considering who’s on the court with her, every game is like Christmas for Ashlynn, who appears to suffer from uncontrollable happiness.
  • Aaliyah, the 2nd happiest player in WBB – Aaliyah was an AA power forward last season. She’s now playing out of position at center. Last year opponents would frequently double down on Aaliyah in the post, by rotating off Nika, Aubrey or Dorka. This year, opposing defenses are far less likely to double Aaliyah in the post. In addition, Aaliyah has gotten a lot quicker with her post moves and she has developed a strong left hand. There was one play vs Marquette that really stands out. Aaliyah received an entry pass in the low blocks and spun to her left, putting the ball on the floor. There was a Marquette guard a few feet away that could have dived down to double Aaliyah, but she was so concerned with Aaliyah kicking the ball out to a teammate at the arc that she jumped outside giving Aaliyah an easy layup.
  • Incredible A/TO Ratio – Last season, Nika set the UConn single season record for assists, but as a team the Huskies generated a pedestrian 1.14 A/TO Ratio. This season UConn is currently 6th in the nation with a 1.54 A/TO Ratio. But when you look at the last 10 games, after Geno rolled out the 4-guard lineup, UConn is leading the nation with an incredible 1.87 A/TO Ratio that, along with their suffocating defense, equates to an average MOV of 37 ppg!!!
There is a lot of basketball left to play this season and we don’t know exactly how far UConn’s small, 4-guard, 3 pg lineup will take this Husky team. But two things are clear. UConn is playing spectacular basketball right now and the Huskies are an absolute pleasure to watch!!!
Great points oldude with the last 10 games. I looked at the numbers without the Toronto Met game. Considering that it was like playing a Div 3 or a good HS team. The minutes played over the last nine Div 1 games is a little different.

AE is averaging 27.5 minutes
Ash is averaging 33.6 minutes
KK is averaging 29.7 minutes
Paige is averaging 28.7 minutes
Nika is averaging 27.3 minutes

What I like about this is that the starters are (a) playing less minutes per game than last year while (b) the bench players are getting time off of the pine to play those minutes. Something that UConn didn't have last year as a luxury.

Reaction Score
Through the years, UConn has fielded some terrific backcourt combinations: Shea & Sveta, Sue & DT, Mo & Kia and many others. But in all my years watching UConn WBB, I have never seen a UConn team that started 3 outstanding pg’s, Paige, Nika & KK, all of whom could start at pg for over 90% of the D1 teams in the country.

Starting 3 talented pg’s as part of a 4-guard lineup, presents several challenges. Obviously rebounding and defending the paint against bigger teams is one of those challenges. But as Geno has said, “While we may be challenged on defense, you’re going to have to guard us on offense.” The other issue that Geno notes is that his 3 pg’s are all used to having the ball in their hands all the time, so 70% of UConn’s practice time is currently devoted to integrating his 3 pg’s into an effective offense.

With that said, when Geno decided on a small, 4-guard lineup 10 games ago, thereby creating a 3-pg lineup it resulted in a radical transformation of this year’s team:
  • Ball movement & floor spacing – UConn’s 4 guards can all break down defenders off the dribble, and they can all shoot it, thanks in large part to Nika “working her ass off” to become a much better 3-pt shooter. Last year and earlier this year there were times when the ball “got stuck” and UConn’s offense bogged down. But over the last 10 games, UConn’s offense has become a symphony of outstanding ball and player movement, characterized by cutting, screening, great passing and lots of open shots. There was one play at Creighton that was shown from an overhead camera angle where Paige ran through a series of 4 screens set by 3 different teammates until she got an open look at the top of the arc, hitting nothing but net. It was a thing of beauty.
  • Lockdown defense – By their nature, pg’s are smart, quick and athletic. They understand ball movement and passing lanes. In Paige, Nika & KK, UConn has a trio of lockdown defenders who play suffocating defense and jump passing lanes like a pack of thieves. Over the past 10 games the Huskies have forced their opponents into 194 turnovers (121 steals). As Geno points out turning over your opponent gives you an extra possession as well as denying your opponent a possession, creating the potential for a 4-6 point turnaround.
  • Transition scoring – UConn is running at every opportunity. Last season, the ball had to find Nika first to lead the break or set up the offense. Not so this year. Following turnovers, rebounds or made baskets, the ball goes to whichever pg is closest while the other 2 pg’s, along with the other Husky players, take off down the court. You can see Geno exhorting his team on like a cavalry charge. UConn is getting a bunch of layups or wide-open jumpers before opponents set up their defense.
  • More player rest – With all the injuries last year, UConn’s starters played an exorbitant number of minutes. 5 players averaged over 30 mpg with Nika playing a ridiculous 36.6 mpg. While UConn doesn’t have a lot of depth this season, Geno is doing a nice job of running players in and out. Only Nika currently averages over 30 mpg at 30.5 mpg, and her average has been steadily dropping. With UConn blowing out opponents, as well as Ines solid play of late, I expect that no UConn player will average 30+ minutes per game by the end of the regular season, hopefully leading to a well-rested and healthy team for the Big Dance.
  • Ashlynn, the happiest player in WBB – As many BY’ers know, Ashlynn was also a pg in HS. But moving Ashlynn to shooting guard where she has thrived as Azzi’s replacement has been a godsend for the Huskies. Ashlynn is the Energizer Bunny, constantly moving to get open, confident in the knowledge that if she gets open one of the 3 pg’s will drop a perfect dime on her where she can then use her remarkable ability to quickly square up to the basket and knock down a shot. Considering who’s on the court with her, every game is like Christmas for Ashlynn, who appears to suffer from uncontrollable happiness.
  • Aaliyah, the 2nd happiest player in WBB – Aaliyah was an AA power forward last season. She’s now playing out of position at center. Last year opponents would frequently double down on Aaliyah in the post, by rotating off Nika, Aubrey or Dorka. This year, opposing defenses are far less likely to double Aaliyah in the post. In addition, Aaliyah has gotten a lot quicker with her post moves and she has developed a strong left hand. There was one play vs Marquette that really stands out. Aaliyah received an entry pass in the low blocks and spun to her left, putting the ball on the floor. There was a Marquette guard a few feet away that could have dived down to double Aaliyah, but she was so concerned with Aaliyah kicking the ball out to a teammate at the arc that she jumped outside giving Aaliyah an easy layup.
  • Incredible A/TO Ratio – Last season, Nika set the UConn single season record for assists, but as a team the Huskies generated a pedestrian 1.14 A/TO Ratio. This season UConn is currently 6th in the nation with a 1.54 A/TO Ratio. But when you look at the last 10 games, after Geno rolled out the 4-guard lineup, UConn is leading the nation with an incredible 1.87 A/TO Ratio that, along with their suffocating defense, equates to an average MOV of 37 ppg!!!
There is a lot of basketball left to play this season and we don’t know exactly how far UConn’s small, 4-guard, 3 pg lineup will take this Husky team. But two things are clear. UConn is playing spectacular basketball right now and the Huskies are an absolute pleasure to watch!!!
I noticed the other night the guards had zero turnovers for the entire game. That is a remarkable stat regardless of who you are playing and shows the five they have on the court value their possessions. That is a stat that can help overcome a rebound disadvantage.

Reaction Score
The only thing I can add is that for Nika and Ash and to a certain extent Paige also, being a former point guard as they all are by natural position and now having 3 point guards on the court with them to get them the ball is a beautiful thing. A point guard knows where to be and when to get open in the flow of the offense when she is now a 2/3/4 and the other actual point guard knows when to pass it and the best place to get that pass to her. When Paige comes off the curl, give her the ball chest high but away from the defender. When Ash is alone in the corner, chest pass in the middle not to a side. Just catch, jump into your stance and shoot. I'm saying that the passes are not only to the open player but in the right place for them to use it with our 4 point guards. That means less time to adjust and better concentration on the shot.

As for Geno, he will never get enough credit for this year's brilliant turnaround unless there is a national title. Honestly, they are so much fun now I'm just enjoying the ride. I will see them up close Wednesday night at Seton Hall and can't wait. Biggest concern now is the perfect pre-game meal. Game is late so 3 meat pizza is a little heavy.

Reaction Score
Excellent, informative points. They also have PG court vision, which facilitates ball movement and higher percentage shots. Which you need when you are usually facing a rebounding deficit.
I enjoyed the read! Especially about having numberous PGs on the floor at the same time
for smothering defense and rapid transitions ( not only on offensive rebounds, but, a
"cavalry" charge after a made basket by the opponent team. ) I believe that as INES
getting more fully intergrated into the extended rotation, the comment above ( see #23 )
will allow even more rest for our line up and more energy for the remainder of the season.
I'm looking forward to S.H. DePaul, Marquette, and OF COURSE N.D. and SC! GO HUSKIES!

Reaction Score
The only thing I can add is that for Nika and Ash and to a certain extent Paige also, being a former point guard as they all are by natural position and now having 3 point guards on the court with them to get them the ball is a beautiful thing. A point guard knows where to be and when to get open in the flow of the offense when she is now a 2/3/4 and the other actual point guard knows when to pass it and the best place to get that pass to her. When Paige comes off the curl, give her the ball chest high but away from the defender. When Ash is alone in the corner, chest pass in the middle not to a side. Just catch, jump into your stance and shoot. I'm saying that the passes are not only to the open player but in the right place for them to use it with our 4 point guards. That means less time to adjust and better concentration on the shot.

As for Geno, he will never get enough credit for this year's brilliant turnaround unless there is a national title. Honestly, they are so much fun now I'm just enjoying the ride. I will see them up close Wednesday night at Seton Hall and can't wait. Biggest concern now is the perfect pre-game meal. Game is late so 3 meat pizza is a little heavy.
I knew that ASH played PG at NOBLEVILLE (sp) H.S. but I thought she mostly played shooting guard
for Laminere ( again spelling challeged ). But as # 23 above said having the PG skills from Paige,
Nika, KK, Ines, and ASH is remarkable!! Did you all enjoy those ASH to Aaliyah outside = inside passes?
and that Marvelous Ash to "Q" pass? It was a bullet. Ash at top speed, Q at top speed, and a perfect
dime! It is a JOY to watch this team.... Show time again Wednesday night at 8:30 EST!! GO UCONN.

Reaction Score

Every point you make is spot on. This team is starting to remind me of how great UConn womens basketball can be.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Very good post. Your point about the drastically improving A/TO ratio in the last 10 games is very significant. that is one area I was initially concerned with. Even before considering KK's impact with Nika and Paige both starting, I assumed Nika'a assists would decrease but also at least as much the turnovers. So I presumed our A/TO ratio would be very good from the start and even more so adding KK to the starters.

But with challenges up front and injuries a four guard lineup by itself is a major adjustment, even more so with three point guards, two freshmen, and very different roles. Some of figuring this out, and clicking now may be because of three point guards. No position needs to understand the needs and strategies better than the point guard, which i think is one reason they tend to make good coaches later in their careers.

I also think Geno has kept it a little simpler for the freshmen, and asked his senior guards to make the big changes. Nika and Paige as PG's are from a standpoint of rebounding and defending, the 3 and 4 in this lineup. They have found a style that works pretty well with what they have, remarkably well perhaps, but they are still vulnerable in several ways.

The obvious concern is there is no margin of error with further injuries. With Aubrey out we don't really have another shot blocker/rebounder type, other than Aaliyah. Even with this combo working against most teams, there will be some teams where we will wish we could have gone big, but we don't have a big counter for that.

With a short bench it is hard to press as much as we do because of fouls and fatigue although this group is overachieving there to a remarkable degree. And finally because he has to be a little careful managing minutes Geno has a little more limited ability to make strategic lineup substitutions.

All of those things are factors limiting our potential upside, but having said that, this lineup may be reaching their potential as well as any unit we have had for a number of years, given what they have had to overcome.

Paige's (rising) shot-blocking rate is not significantly different than Aubrey's and both are significantly higher than Aaliyah's. Amari's rate is twice that of Paige/Aubrey.

Reaction Score
I just came back from watching South Carolina dismantle Kentucky. I was watching to see how the "three guard offense" would do against a team like Carolina. In the first quarter South Carolina had trouble figuring out what to do with a team even smaller than Connecticut. At the end of the first Kentucky was down by only six. To start the second Dawn pulled Cardoza and Kitts and the team started to jell and pull away. When they came back in they started to connect with several high lows . I left at the end of the third when South Carolina ahead by around 45.

I came to the game wondering how Connecticut could keep up with South Carolina. Now I think both teams will have to play their best in order to win and either one could. Kentucky's guards were out sized, not in shape and barely ran an offense yet it took South Carolina a while to figure them out. I don't think the Gamecocks have encountered a group like Paige, Nika, KK and Shade and it could turn out to be very disruptive to South Carolina's offense and defense.

Of course South Carolina is enormously talented and Connecticut has to be disciplined but relentless. I was particularly impressed with #25,Johnson, as well as their ability to move the ball and make outside shots. However I don't know how they'll react to a team that isn't afraid of them, doesn't back down and has the talent to back it up

Reaction Score
I just came back from watching South Carolina dismantle Kentucky. I was watching to see how the "three guard offense" would do against a team like Carolina. In the first quarter South Carolina had trouble figuring out what to do with a team even smaller than Connecticut. At the end of the first Kentucky was down by only six. To start the second Dawn pulled Cardoza and Kitts and the team started to jell and pull away. When they came back in they started to connect with several high lows . I left at the end of the third when South Carolina ahead by around 45.

I came to the game wondering how Connecticut could keep up with South Carolina. Now I think both teams will have to play their best in order to win and either one could. Kentucky's guards were out sized, not in shape and barely ran an offense yet it took South Carolina a while to figure them out. I don't think the Gamecocks have encountered a group like Paige, Nika, KK and Shade and it could turn out to be very disruptive to South Carolina's offense and defense.

Of course South Carolina is enormously talented and Connecticut has to be disciplined but relentless. I was particularly impressed with #25,Johnson, as well as their ability to move the ball and make outside shots. However I don't know how they'll react to a team that isn't afraid of them, doesn't back down and has the talent to back it up
Good question…

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
For the original poster (Oldude)...Great post...great info...yes...it is a remarkable moment that we UConn fans should cherish...the stars have lined up rather ominously and have created the circumstances that we have. Think for a minute what if Caroline and Azzi hadn't gone to the injury list? Then KK and Ashlynn wouldn't have gotten the minutes they have. And, the chance to see three quality point guards on the floor at the same time would have been greatly diminished. We, as fans, have a lot to be grateful for...any other team who would have lost even two let alone five quality players would have been devastated, and their ability to whether the injuries and keep winning would be unlikely. UConn lost 5 star players and after a couple of hiccups...now look at them. They looked at themselves in the mirror. They did a checklist from head to toe. They made adjustments. it is as if they didn't miss a beat...Ahhhh, life is good!

Let's look ahead to next year...what 4 or maybe even 5 guards could take the floor? 1. Azzi will be back, 2. Paige will be back, 3. Nika will be back, 4. KK Arnold will be a sophomore. 5. Ashlynn Shade will be a sophomore. 6. 5'10" point guard, #4 ESPN...Allie Ziebell. 7. 6'2" guard, #18 ESPN...Morgan Cheli. Yes, count them 7 quality point guards or off-guards.

If this year is bad...wait til' next year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When Earl Monroe came to the Knicks the press asked Red Holzman, "Who's going to be the point guard?" Red responded: "I don't believe in point guards and shooting guards, just good guards and bad guards." I remember a certain young coach who carried Red's book around with him. He learned well.;)

Reaction Score
The biggest beneficiary of the three point guard offense is Ashlynn.

Over the first seven games of the season, KK averaged 22 minutes per game and Ashlynn only 12.5 minutes per game, including a DNP(!) against NC State.

Over the ten games after Texas, KK is averaging 29.3 minutes a game and Ashlynn is averaging 32.7 minutes per game.

So KK`s minutes have increased significantly but Ashlynn`s minutes increased dramatically, by over 20 minutes a game.

Ashlynn is good off of the dribble but is also adept at moving without the ball and finding open space. She is decisive and has a quick release so she doesn`t need to be wide open to be open. For someone like that to be playing with three unselfish point guards is a dream scenario for her. She is making the most of it!

What stands out to me about this group is their ability to push pace on offense and for all five on the floor to play intense, in your face defense, no weak links. In both areas, Nika`s influence cannot be overstated. The Freshman have obviously stepped up and exceeded expectations, but we are also seeing the best versions of Paige and Nika ever.

It is fascinating to focus on Nika`s career at UConn. She has missed some time but has generally been healthy, at least relatively. But look at all the amazing guards and wings that she has played with over the last four seasons. CW, Evina, Caroline, Azzi, Paige, Aubrey, Lou, and now KK and Ashlynn, and add Q as well. Hopefully I`m not forgetting anyone. All of those combinations have been special.

During the first part of the season many noticed a lack of energy, an uncharacteristic grimness, and that was obviously worrisome. Not a problem any more!
That's pretty remarkable, to go from DNP to "never leave the floor".

Reaction Score
I look at this as getting back to our roots. Yes we commonly talk about a 2 or 3 guard back court throughout our history where either 2 were PGs or a couple were at least visionary combo guards who can run offense.

I don't think we talk a lot about the history of front court facilitators like the role Paige is playing this year although she is smaller... McClaren, Dolson especially, Gabby, and Tuck were good passers and facilitators from the front court often at the high post that made the motion offense humm. One could argue that it is the most significant thing we've been missing the last few years. I'm not sure the front court transfers including Evina had enough time in the system to really perfect that role. Paige can basically do anything so she is making it work.

Reaction Score
Obviously, I would rather see a UConn team take the court with a healthy Azzi, Caroline, Aubrey, Ayanna & Jana. But this year it’s all about “next woman up.” So far the results, as you indicate, are pretty remarkable.
Some people refuse to acknowledge that this small lineup is deadly. They see the victory margins and insist "the other team was lousy". Frankly, Caroline and Azzi would only drag down the team whereas using Ash and KK has been a godsend. We've all learned that perhaps every team has to make the most of who they can put on the floor but they may want to play "the standard way" but insisting "height in the front court, ball handling in the backcourt". Until proven wrong, I think we all love the new appearance of the team that came together out of sheer necessity and while short, they have many other redeeming values. With so many good shooters on the team, any player having an off night can lean on the rest of the team that can shoot so well. It's an abundance of riches and the ND game will be the supreme test of their ability to surmount height deficiencies.

Reaction Score
Caroline and Azzi would only drag down the team whereas using Ash and KK has been a godsend.
I agree with your overall point. But this statement seems implausible. Caroline might not have the speed to play the “tip of the spear” in this press. But Azzi certainly could. And since one of the elements of the team’s current success is perimeter shooting, I suspect both of them would have something important to contribute. And I’d add that before her health problems, Caroline was an excellent transition passer.

In yesterday’s pregame presser, Geno was asked what he’d do if he had a healthy lineup and he said he’d run the press for even longer. I don’t think he meant only now that circumstances had led to the development of a pressing defense. I think he had planned to run a high octane pressing defense from the beginning, just as he did at the beginning of last season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some people refuse to acknowledge that this small lineup is deadly. They see the victory margins and insist "the other team was lousy". Frankly, Caroline and Azzi would only drag down the team whereas using Ash and KK has been a godsend. We've all learned that perhaps every team has to make the most of who they can put on the floor but they may want to play "the standard way" but insisting "height in the front court, ball handling in the backcourt". Until proven wrong, I think we all love the new appearance of the team that came together out of sheer necessity and while short, they have many other redeeming values. With so many good shooters on the team, any player having an off night can lean on the rest of the team that can shoot so well. It's an abundance of riches and the ND game will be the supreme test of their ability to surmount height deficiencies.
While I agree with most of your comments, it’s easy to forget just how good Caroline was when she was healthy. With Paige and others injured Caroline carried the team, scoring both inside and out, as well as being an effective rebounder. As for Azzi, there is no UConn lineup that isn’t better with her in it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom