Uconn's real sharp shooter! | The Boneyard

Uconn's real sharp shooter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thought I would check in On Moriah's shooting touch. People are comparing her to what Kelly achieved in her senior year, and ... I think that is discounting the string of games Jefferson has put together in the last two months. YTD her shooting percentages are: .583/.431/.761 which is pretty good. BUT since Feb 1 at Cincinnati through last night she is shooting 56-89 from the field, 19-29 from 3, and 17-22 from the FT stripe - that works out to percentages of .629/.655/.773. (total 148 - 10.6 ppg) Not sure if any player has put together that kind of shooting percentage over a similar length of time in Uconn history except the big posts that weren't taking 33% of their shots from 3 point range.

And Bria has been pretty special as well, but not quite at Jeffersons level - YTD .487/.383/.731 but in the same Feb 1 to current period is shooting 91-176, 37-84 from 3 and 33-45 on FTs. Percentages - .517/.440/.733 (total 252 points - 18.0 ppg)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Ain't nobody leaving Moriah open no more.

Reaction Score
You're right it's not smart to leave her open. However, I can imagine in certain games when the other starters' shooting is on fire, other teams may have no choice but to leave Moriah open. That will be fun to watch.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
As if they have a choice! who do you guard? who do you double? Right? But you are right - leave her open at your own risk...

Reaction Score
Sure they will. The same way teams started walking Barry Bonds even with the bases loaded. It becomes a matter of picking your poison. Let MJ knock down her two 3s a game if they can make sure KML doesn't drop in 6 or 7 and Stewie is doubled most of the time. This team is so ridiculously loaded, and Moriah doesn't get enough credit IMO. It's hard to disagree with Geno's assertion that if they play their A-game, no one has a chance to beat them.

Reaction Score
My favorite Moriah play last night was after she re-entered late the 1st half after a couple minute breather (not that she looked tired in the least - what a motor! :)). She was on the wing and (right in front of where I was fortunate to be sitting) suddenly she was in full jet mode streaking along the baseline for a layup - again, blink and you miss it. The ball seemed to be in the net before the St. Joe players even showed facial recognition that she was no longer on the wing (never mind trying to move to at least impede her progress). What an incredibly gifted athlete

Close second favorites:
  • watching Moriah defend Shields
  • watching MoJet deliver the ball. She had about 4-5 could have been assists in the first half, so the important thing is that she is delivering the ball and giving her teammates a chance.
  • Watching Moriah and Shields exchange mutual respect in the handshake line
Saddest part:
Watching our team walk off the court and knowing how long it will be before I can see them play in person :eek:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Sure they will. The same way teams started walking Barry Bonds even with the bases loaded. It becomes a matter of picking your poison. Let MJ knock down her two 3s a game if they can make sure KML doesn't drop in 6 or 7 and Stewie is doubled most of the time. This team is so ridiculously loaded, and Moriah doesn't get enough credit IMO. It's hard to disagree with Geno's assertion that if they play their A-game, no one has a chance to beat them.
There is no reason that if she is ignored that Moriah is not capable of hitting those 5 or 6. Her efficiency is off the charts and if you ignore her at this time of the year she will take the shot and make you pay. You cannot ignore a 45% shooter for long.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
As if they have a choice! who do you guard? who do you double? Right? But you are right - leave her open at your own risk...
Given Moriah's efficiency is the highest on the team she is no longer a good choice. 11 can become 20 quickly.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
KML and Stewie were the least efficient of the starters last night at only 58%, so the opponents better just take their chances leaving those two open and concentrate on MoJeff, Stef, and Bria. Anyways, as KML and Stewie showed last night, some of their top highlight plays come off their offensive rebounds.

As they showed on the replay, there was a bit of a fake hand-off to Stewie as MoJeff was sweeping around the right side on that highlight play, and she used the slight freeze by the defender to blow by her for the lay up.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
KML and Stewie were the least efficient of the starters last night at only 58%, so the opponents better just take their chances leaving those two open and concentrate on MoJeff, Stef, and Bria. Anyways, as KML and Stewie showed last night, some of their top highlight plays come off their offensive rebounds.

As they showed on the replay, there was a bit of a fake hand-off to Stewie as MoJeff was sweeping around the right side on that highlight play, and she used the slight freeze by the defender to blow by her for the lay up.
With MoJett on that play all the defender needs to do is slightly tighten their muscles to stop then it is all over. They don't even need to hesitate just tighten in anticipation of stopping.

Reaction Score
Bria takes many more shots from three, but MoJeff has been shooting amazingly well.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just as a shooting efficiency exercise: YTD
Moriah 1.50 points per shot (364 points on 242 FGAs)
Stef 1.38 (448/324)
Breanna 1.32 (709/537)
Bria 1.30 (595/456)
Kaleena 1.28 (305/238)

Sims - 1.31 (996/762)
Chiney - 1.46 (903/619)
McBride 1.21 (591/490)
Loyd 1.36 (608/447)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just as a shooting efficiency exercise: YTD
Moriah 1.50 points per shot (364 points on 242 FGAs)
Stef 1.38 (448/324)
Breanna 1.32 (709/537)
Bria 1.30 (595/456)
Kaleena 1.28 (305/238)

Sims - 1.31 (996/762)
Chiney - 1.46 (903/619)
McBride 1.21 (591/490)
Loyd 1.36 (608/447)
The "best player in the country" has the worst stat? Check your math! :)

We're seeing the MoJett who was an offensive force in high school. She's redefining the PG position.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I rewatched the first two games yesterday and was surprised that commentators have not yet picked up on Moriah's late season form. They are raving about Kaleena and Breanna and Bria's shooting form and missing out on the real hot hand. They talk about her speed and defensive intensity, but never about her consistent shooting. Moriah has the best shooting percentage of all the starters YTD and trails on Kiah for the team lead. The last two months, it isn't even close.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I have been stunned by the progress she has made this season. I have to admit that last year left me doubting those high rankings and the high praise from Geno in regards to her skills.

Her improvement is staggering. I don't think I have seen a player that size that can finish around the basket with either hand like she can. If you have watched the men's team, her game is very similar to Shabazz.

And like Stewart, what should be scary for opponents is that she has more room to improve. Although, right now, maybe not so much.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I rewatched the first two games yesterday and was surprised that commentators have not yet picked up on Moriah's late season form. They are raving about Kaleena and Breanna and Bria's shooting form and missing out on the real hot hand. They talk about her speed and defensive intensity, but never about her consistent shooting. Moriah has the best shooting percentage of all the starters YTD and trails on Kiah for the team lead. The last two months, it isn't even close.
Caught 2 UConn games live this season. MSG for the Dixon Classic and the game at Harbor Yards. Enjoyed courtside seats at both venues and got that in-your-face experience thanks to the proximity. The lingering memory I took away from both events, was the speed that Mo plays at...a full gear faster than ANYONE else on the court and under complete control! Really something to marvel at.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Jefferson has run that a few times this year, the fake handoff, blow by. As long as the back is cleared out, piece of cake for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom