UConn's opponents 24-25? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn's opponents 24-25?

Reaction Score
What are there, 13 Non-Conference games, of which a couple are Cayman Island type of tournaments?

The team was 33-6 last season ... at a minimum, I would like to see the Huskies play these six teams again next season...
  • Iowa
  • S. Car
  • N.D.
  • Texas
  • UCLA
  • NC St.
I would also like to see them play Ohio St., it was set up for the Sweet 16 but didn't come to fruition. Make it so!
I would also like to see them play USC again. Lotta hype about that team's offseason acquisitions, so let's see what they got!
Finally, I would like to see them play LSU. Thats not going to happen, as LSU only seeks creampuffs for their Non-Conf. games.

If UConn beats those eight teams next season (unfortunately not nine cuz, LSU will run away) ... I don't want to hear a single word about the Big East schedule. Not a peep!

You really think UConn will go 8-0 against that group? I don't see it, but would love to see those contests.

Reaction Score
Villanova as well
Real question is whether the Big East will remain a viable major conference and, if so, considering the disbanding/consolidations/realignments that have occurred just over the last several years, for how long? UConn remaining in the BE conference more and more just seems out of place.

Reaction Score
Btw, impressed that USC is making another cross-country trip. They will already have 4 BiG road trips, though 1 could be to Ore/Wash. I expected that they would, at least in the first few years, try to schedule mostly local games in the non-conference.

Reaction Score
Real question is whether the Big East will remain a viable major conference and, if so, considering the disbanding/consolidations/realignments that have occurred just over the last several years, for how long? UConn remaining in the BE conference more and more just seems out of place.
On the women's side, yes. The men's side is damn impressive.

Reaction Score
Btw, impressed that USC is making another cross-country trip. They will already have 4 BiG road trips, though 1 could be to Ore/Wash. I expected that they would, at least in the first few years, try to schedule mostly local games in the non-conference.
Aside from the Conference games to the Midwest and UConn, what else did they take on?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
You may be correct. But as I recall, during the 2021-22 season, after UConn was soundly beaten by SC in the Bahamas, SC requested that the 2nd matchup of the season with UConn in Columbia be cancelled in order for the Gamecocks to make up an SEC game that had previously been cancelled/postponed.

Subsequently, the 2 teams played in Hartford in 2022-23 and Columbia this past season. I don’t know that UConn owes SC a makeup game in Columbia, since it was SC that asked to cancel the 2021-22 game. I guess we’ll find out once next season’s schedule is published.
TBPH, I think Geno and Dawn came to an agreement when there was an opportunity for SC to play a makeup conference game and UCONN with a lot of injuries didn't have to make an extra roadtrip that season.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
So, we have pretty much confirmed 2 home games and 5 road/neutral games for our OOC schedule. Not good so far, we need some quality opponents at home next year. Texas, NCSU? Didn't I hear that Arizona was interested in a series? So far our home schedule is not attractive with only USF and USC. Good teams, but not enough.

Reaction Score
OOC Predictions:

USC: Win, only by a slight margin. Our veteran talent in PB, Aubrey, and Azzi will overcome USC's younger talent. Kiki and Sarah will duke it out in the post. Our outside shooting will force a man to man defensive scheme, and will force their players away from double teams on our stars. We probably won't stop Juju and Kiki. But we can probably shut down Talia, Heckel, Howell, etc.

SC: Hard to tell for now, but I think we lose this one. Purely health dependent. Our veteran talent is coming off injury. We have no clue about Jana. Only way we win is our perimeter shooting-it's gonna be lethal if our roster is healthy. if Jana is a beast, she could outplay Tac, and Sarah can outbound Edwards as proven already. This game could honestly be determined by a buzzer beater, we're practically equal when healthy.

ND: Undetermined. Our outside shooting is equal, though we have (presumably) better 3 point percentage shooters. We both have injured/unproven posts that could determine the game. Liza and Kate could be problematic, but Sarah can easily take on Liza, and Jana remains unknown.

Tenn: Win. They have to learn a new system, and we have better talent.

Louisville (Tournament): Win. Randolph and Berry aren't enough IMO. We're dominant from the outside, and the inside we have Strong and Jana (who is presumably 5 star caliber talent). Randolph may cook us, but we'll cook them from the outside.

USF: Win. I don't think anything needs to be said here.

UNC: Win. They lost Kelly+a lot of role players. Sure, they have good talent coming in, but Toomey is off injury, and Thomas and Grant never made it to an all star roster, unlike our class. Grant also reclassified from next year to this. We also have better defense.

Should we face NC State and Texas:

NC State: Win. River Baldwin gave us hell last year, but she's gone now, and Weimar was very easily shut down by Holy Cross, who is way unranked. Provided we defend and shoot well, we should win.

Texas: Lose. Harmon is too much for us. Booker is also really good. Granted, it was early in the season, but still. They're incredibly talented, and we win only if they shoot horribly. Last time they rained 3s.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
USC: Win, only by a slight margin. Our veteran talent in PB, Aubrey, and Azzi will overcome USC's younger talent. Kiki and Sarah will duke it out in the post. Our outside shooting will force a man to man defensive scheme, and will force their players away from double teams on our stars. We probably won't stop Juju and Kiki. But we can probably shut down Talia, Heckel, Howell, etc.
This is an important game for WBB. Paige against Juju — it would be a sin not to schedule as many of these games as possible throughout their (hopefully very long) careers.

I wonder if Kiki will be Sarah’s responsibility. I doubt Lindsay will play Marshall next to Kiki for long and that’s the only way Jana isn’t guarding Kiki. The problem is Jana’s defensive skills may not be very well developed for this early game. I expect she’ll get into foul trouble early and only play limited minutes. This probably means Ice will have that task.

I totally agree about the effect of the perimeter shooting. I also have a feeling KK and Kaitlyn will be too much for USC to deal with on both ends of the floor. And there’s also just a lot of bucket-getters in Geno’s rotation. I wonder how USC’s defense will cope with all of them. They have two bucket-getters in Juju and Kiki while Geno has Paige Ash Sarah maybe Azzi (if she’s ready) Allie Morgan and Kaitlyn. And if Caroline is ready too, that’d make 8 kids who know how to create their own shot.

Reaction Score
This is an important game for WBB. Paige against Juju — it would be a sin not to schedule as many of these games as possible throughout their (hopefully very long) careers.

I wonder if Kiki will be Sarah’s responsibility. I doubt Lindsay will play Marshall next to Kiki for long and that’s the only way Jana isn’t guarding Kiki. The problem is Jana’s defensive skills may not be very well developed for this early game. I expect she’ll get into foul trouble early and only play limited minutes. This probably means Ice will have that task.

I totally agree about the effect of the perimeter shooting. I also have a feeling KK and Kaitlyn will be too much for USC to deal with on both ends of the floor. And there’s also just a lot of bucket-getters in Geno’s rotation. I wonder how USC’s defense will cope with all of them. They have two bucket-getters in Juju and Kiki while Geno has Paige Ash Sarah maybe Azzi (if she’s ready) Allie Morgan and Kaitlyn. And if Caroline is ready too, that’d make 8 kids who know how to create their own shot.
I feel like Sarah will be, just because Kiki is a massive threat to the rebound margin. Sarah averaged 17 in HS, and even out rebounded #2 Joyce Edwards last time they met 17-9 on the glass. That's the only reason I think she'll be on Kiki. It may be Aubrey, since she's better defensively and is also a good rebounder, but Sarah's more aggressive play could outplay Kiki in the end.

Reaction Score
I feel like Sarah will be, just because Kiki is a massive threat to the rebound margin. Sarah averaged 17 in HS, and even out rebounded #2 Joyce Edwards last time they met 17-9 on the glass. That's the only reason I think she'll be on Kiki. It may be Aubrey, since she's better defensively and is also a good rebounder, but Sarah's more aggressive play could outplay Kiki in the end.
Will Aubrey be back in time for that game? Even so, no way she can guard Kiki. Size difference is too great. Aubrey is a slashing scorer-rebounder, not a low post grappler. Sarah will likely see some duty against Kiki, as you say. But I think this is primarily going to come down to Jana and Ice. On offense, of course, Sarah will pose a serious problem since either Kiki or Marshall will have to come out of the paint to guard her. And I don’t think Marshall has the quickness for that. Look to see lots of interior passing among our bigs.

Reaction Score
Will Aubrey be back in time for that game? Even so, no way she can guard Kiki. Size difference is too great. Aubrey is a slashing scorer-rebounder, not a low post grappler. Sarah will likely see some duty against Kiki, as you say. But I think this is primarily going to come down to Jana and Ice. On offense, of course, Sarah will pose a serious problem since either Kiki or Marshall will have to come out of the paint to guard her. And I don’t think Marshall has the quickness for that. Look to see lots of interior passing among our

Will Aubrey be back in time for that game? Even so, no way she can guard Kiki. Size difference is too great. Aubrey is a slashing scorer-rebounder, not a low post grappler. Sarah will likely see some duty against Kiki, as you say. But I think this is primarily going to come down to Jana and Ice. On offense, of course, Sarah will pose a serious problem since either Kiki or Marshall will have to come out of the paint to guard her. And I don’t think Marshall has the quickness for that. Look to see lots of interior passing among our bigs.
Aubrey was honestly just the next best forward I could think of lmao.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom