UConns longevity | The Boneyard

UConns longevity

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Why has UConn been so good for so long while most other teams cant match them? Why is it that Geno can plug in players and they can execute and UConn almost never misses a beat? It comes down to execution, discipline, being coachable and building confidence in his players. Building confidence builds trust in yourself and builds trust for you in your team mates and your team mates in you. You know where your suppose to be and your team mates know where your gonna be. This is why some players dont get alot of playtime. They cant be plugged into the game because they dont know how to run the plays of where theyre suppose to be on both sides of the ball.

We are seeing it in this years UConn team. They know where they are suppose to be and they know how to run their plays. There is alot of help defense and I would expect to see alot of help defense on Sunday against Iowa. First on Clark and second on Czinano who is a very good scorer. What will be critical is to get the ball down low and try to get Czinano in foul trouble and they will try to do the same to Edwards. So it is very important for UConn to double down when the ball goes inside. Edwards has done a good job staying out of foul trouble and also when she gets beat to let the offensive player go without making silly fouls. It more important to have Edwards in the game and less important if her opponent scores 2 pts.

Everybody on this years teams is excelling. They are all playing really well individually and as a team. Nika is the key. I read some of the Badass posts and your all right most of the time, even me sometimes. LOL Hey everybody on floor is a Badass. By that I mean they are all playing great individually and as a team. We have a high powered offense and a really disruptive defense that is intimidating.

Getting back to my point. Geno has been doing this for over 30 years. He is the master. There isnt a team out there they can keep up with what Geno has built. Think about it 30 years. Opponents know exactly what theyre going to face when they meet UConn. Even injured UConn is a tuff out. One of Geno's greatest accomplishments was last season with all the injuries and UConn still made the final game after having to face that tuff NCAA tournament schedule even if people want to say the games were in CT. What they failed to realize was UConn had players out, players injured and players sick and UConn still made it to the final game. Our opponents we in better health then UConn was. The complaining about last years NCAA tournament regional being in CT is shameful because UConn wasnt even close to 100% and their opponents were and UConn still won. What does that say. Your team is healthy playing a UConn team that wasnt and you lose. Nothing more needs to be said.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There are a lot of little things that go into UConn’s unprecedented run of success. Through the years the game and the players have changed. But over 37 years there have been two constants for UConn WBB: Geno & CD. I hope they both coach forever.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Talent! He has recruited great talent for the staff...starting with virtually a Day 2 hire of CD...and then the whole
staff has done a wonderful job recruiting talented players...Kerry Bascom our first 'star'...then Rebecca and then on and on. Going 'national' with the high school class of 1996 [Shea Ralph/Paige Sauer/Stacy Hansmeyer] was big and now
dipping into the international arena also has been big.

This very entertaining season....one game at a time....beat Iowa!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There are so many reasons one can state:
1. Players - can't do it without recruiting the players that are both skilled and willing to be coached. And the right players for the program.

2. Teaching - players who come to Uconn and stay 4 years leave as much better players. They expand their game and their knowledge of basketball theory and execution.

3. Discipline - 'putting in the work' and not being allowed to slide not in a practice, not in a training session, and certainly not in a game.

4. Expectation - raising the goal for each player individually, and for the team as a whole, and giving them the instruction necessary to push that goal even further.

5. Vision - you can't correct what you can't see and analyze. Geno and CD can both identify what is wrong in practice and games both individually and in a team sense and figure out how to correct it. That is not all that common.

6. Culture - creating an environment where every player is not only a teammate but also becomes a coach to their teammates. Coaches cannot do it all, and the 'culture' at Uconn is carried as much by the players as the coaches. "Tradition' as used in sports is really just the more meaningless outward show of the culture of a team.

7. Support - creating the structure to provide for the personal needs of the players - emotional, spiritual, physical, academic - all the things outside the lines of the court.

8. Staff - creating a coaching and support staff that all have defined responsibilities and growth opportunities making it easy for them to buy in to the program.

9. System - Geno has created offensive and defensive systems that are flexible so once learned they are adaptable to the skills of the current players and the demands of the various opponents. It maximizes strengths and covers for weaknesses of the players on the court.

And I am sure I left out a lot of other things. It is not one thing that has created the longevity unprecedented in WCBB history but the combination of all the things Geno and CD have built their program on.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
But, but no NC since 2016!!!!

(100% sarcasm, just waiting for the Debbie Downers to chime in on this point. :rolleyes:)

9k=.jpg

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
One other thought - people point to the winning streaks and the 6 undefeated seasons as a product of where the game 'was' and that it is now in a different place and that will never happen again and maybe the winning streaks are unique and based a little on luck. But the undefeated seasons are a product of the Uconn program. There have been dominant teams throughout WCBB history and yet almost all of them failed to get through a season without a stumble (including Uconn a few teams.) It is the discipline and expectations inherent in the program that have led to those 6 seasons where a single moment of distraction can blow up the perfection.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
One other thought - people point to the winning streaks and the 6 undefeated seasons as a product of where the game 'was' and that it is now in a different place and that will never happen again and maybe the winning streaks are unique and based a little on luck. But the undefeated seasons are a product of the Uconn program. There have been dominant teams throughout WCBB history and yet almost all of them failed to get through a season without a stumble (including Uconn a few teams.) It is the discipline and expectations inherent in the program that have led to those 6 seasons where a single moment of distraction can blow up the perfection.
A lot of truth in that... it's the pursuit of a playing to a standard that transcends mere winning; playing the game the way it should be played at all times.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Why has UConn been so good for so long while most other teams cant match them? Why is it that Geno can plug in players and they can execute and UConn almost never misses a beat? It comes down to execution, discipline, being coachable and building confidence in his players. Building confidence builds trust in yourself and builds trust for you in your team mates and your team mates in you. You know where your suppose to be and your team mates know where your gonna be. This is why some players dont get alot of playtime. They cant be plugged into the game because they dont know how to run the plays of where theyre suppose to be on both sides of the ball.
This is what has me shaking my head at how quickly Lou has fit in at UConn. They run a complex system that perplexes some players for a couple of years, and Lou has been plug-and-play. That young woman has a bright future, in basketball or otherwise.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
A lot of truth in that... it's the pursuit of a playing to a standard that transcends mere winning; playing the game the way it should be played at all times.
Very well said RedStick. In BB you have to learn how to play the game, and then you have to learn to play within your teams concept. One more point you have to know your limitations and strengths. The development of players and playing as a team is so fine tuned at UConn more so them other teams. Thats what puts UConn at a different level and it works or they wouldnt be as great as they have been for so many years.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This is what has me shaking my head at how quickly Lou has fit in at UConn. They run a complex system that perplexes some players for a couple of years, and Lou has been plug-and-play. That young woman has a bright future, in basketball or otherwise.
Three things ...
1. She played 4 years for a good coach as the primary scoring option. She has a lot of good college experience even if on a 'lesser' team.
2. Playing shooting guard or small forward is a lot easier to learn than playing power forward/center or point guard.
3. I think her European basketball heritage helps as the usually run similar concepts to Geno's.

That said ... she has slotted right in. And her defensive integration is perhaps more impressive than the offensive as her offense was her calling card - she is not lockdown quality, but her rotations seem very good.

Reaction Score
Geno came to Uconn a young coach with limited experience. In my mind, he had a philosophy in his mind on how the game should be played. His first year was a losing season, the only one, and then his program began. His first and best move was to hire CD. The players said " He was the dictator and CD was the enforcer ". It became his way or the highway.and the rest is history. Uconn history. When the pundits said Uconn was bad for women's college BB, the games announcers said " go watch their practices and do the same ". Uconn and Geno was the BEST thing that ever happened in women's BB. I really hope he stays healthy and coaches 10 more years. GO GENO!!! GO HUSKIES!!!

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
There are so many reasons one can state:

6. Culture - creating an environment where every player is not only a teammate but also becomes a coach to their teammates. Coaches cannot do it all, and the 'culture' at Uconn is carried as much by the players as the coaches. "Tradition' as used in sports is really just the more meaningless outward show of the culture of a team.

7. Support - creating the structure to provide for the personal needs of the players - emotional, spiritual, physical, academic - all the things outside the lines of the court.

And I am sure I left out a lot of other things. It is not one thing that has created the longevity unprecedented in WCBB history but the combination of all the things Geno and CD have built their program on.
And at the other end of this analysis is the former players who come back to support the program. Swin, Asjha, and Evina were all at the game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Talent! He has recruited great talent for the staff...starting with virtually a Day 2 hire of CD...and then the whole
staff has done a wonderful job recruiting talented players...Kerry Bascom our first 'star'...then Rebecca and then on and on. Going 'national' with the high school class of 1996 [Shea Ralph/Paige Sauer/Stacy Hansmeyer] was big and now
dipping into the international arena also has been big.

This very entertaining season....one game at a time....beat Iowa!
Talented players willing to work their arses off and sacrifice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom