UConn's Gampel Pavilion could see $100 million renovation project under new proposal (Mike Anthony) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn's Gampel Pavilion could see $100 million renovation project under new proposal (Mike Anthony)

Reaction Score
Looks like this was approved was the senate (still needs lamon signoff), however it does require UConn to satisfy some of the funding via private commitments:

“To remain eligible for the full $625 million, the university’s fundraising efforts must secure at least $100 million in philanthropic commitments over the next eight years.

UConn President Radenka Maric outlined several pressing capital needs to legislators in late March. Most of the new investments would support science, technology, engineering and mathematics programs, including construction of a new science facility and renovations to the Gant Science complex on the main campus in Storrs.

UConn officials also want to launch a $100 million renovation to Gampel Pavilion. The home to the university’s men’s and women’s basketball teams was constructed in 1990.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They should do a study and plan for it, if a recent one doesn't already exist. At least to show some consideration if by a miracle we get into a stable power conference.
They are still paying off the stadium in Hartford there is zero chance they build a new stadium on campus at this point

Reaction Score
When I saw this article I was confused because aren’t they already in the early phases of remodeling the XL Center? That reno is already a $100M project, can’t imagine the state managing to afford both.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They should do a study and plan for it, if a recent one doesn't already exist. At least to show some consideration if by a miracle we get into a stable power conference.
I can't endorse spending millions of dollars on a bluff.

Reaction Score
When I saw this article I was confused because aren’t they already in the early phases of remodeling the XL Center? That reno is already a $100M project, can’t imagine the state managing to afford both.

They’re working that too:

-> A decade-old push to renovate downtown Hartford’s aging XL Center that recently suffered a setback amid rising costs could get a significant boost of as much as $45 million in state funding under a spending bill that cleared the state legislature late Tuesday.

The bill, which is now headed to Gov. Ned Lamont for his signature, increases the amount of funding the state is willing to spend on the renovation project, from $80 million to $125 million <-

Reaction Score
They’re working that too:

-> A decade-old push to renovate downtown Hartford’s aging XL Center that recently suffered a setback amid rising costs could get a significant boost of as much as $45 million in state funding under a spending bill that cleared the state legislature late Tuesday.

The bill, which is now headed to Gov. Ned Lamont for his signature, increases the amount of funding the state is willing to spend on the renovation project, from $80 million to $125 million <-

leftover federal funds were burning a hole in the legislators' pockets so they released it for Gampel, new $625MM for UConn 2000 funding, etc.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They are still paying off the stadium in Hartford there is zero chance they build a new stadium on campus at this point
Why would they go with 30 year bonding. I'd be fine to wait 10 years before the new on-campus stadium is built.

For what it's worth, Connecticut pays 2.7 million a year to the state to use Rentschler Field six times a year.

Reaction Score
Why would they go with 30 year bonding. I'd be fine to wait 10 years before the new on-campus stadium is built.

For what it's worth, Connecticut pays 2.7 million a year to the state to use Rentschler Field six times a year.
Left pocket to right pocket, merely procedural

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Left pocket to right pocket, merely procedural
Except that at $2.7 million expense makes the athletic department financials look worse. If we agree that it is a net nothing, why not eliminate it and make the athletic department financials look $2.7 million better?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Someone with $100,000,000. Couldn’t $100,000,000 almost build a new football stadium?
That's what The Rent cost over 20 years ago. With mostly bench seats.

Reaction Score
USF has almost 50,000 students and the cost of doing business there is massively lower there than in Connecticut. It costs under $10k to attend instate, and under $20k oos. They are not a peer.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The Rent needs work too but is further down the line from fixing the Gampel as it should be. I am not sure what a few million would do, but fixing the leaks and improving the Wi-Fi would help.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom