UCONN's all time defensive/offensive team | The Boneyard

UCONN's all time defensive/offensive team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I thought this would be pretty interesting, but I will need help. With no thought whatsoever towards the offensive side of the ball, who makes the all time defensive team, by position? I would put Moriah at PG.
ALL defensive team
PG Moriah
SG Nykeesha
W ?
F ?
P ?
What about the All offensive team (no pun intended )? With no thought about the defensive side of the ball.
Which player deserves to be on both teams? What an honor to make both teams. I wish I could see what Geno's picks would be.
ALL offensive team
PG DT
SG KML
W Maya
F Stewie
P Tina?

This is tough. Help me out.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Re: Defensive side

Kalana Greene was very stingy guarding wings and shooting guards.........I would give her strong consideration at the 3

Stokes at the 5 - her overall defensive production was ridiculous, although both Tina and Kara W. were very strong in their own ways as well. Stef got to be a very good defensive player as well (even got that DPOY)

Maybe Asjha at the 4? Idk

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting ...
Defense:
PG - ok with Moriah
SG - Kelly
Wing - Sales
F - Lobo
C - Wolters

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
VAMike - was trying to shoehorn K Greene into my line-up as well, but went with Kelly and Sales - Sales steal numbers were out of this world. The second team would have to include her, and I might try to get Maya onto that team as well.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I like Stef on the defensive team. A center is good for a) keeping the ball as far from the rack as possible, and b) on offense, catching the ball in the post position and doing something with it. Stef excelled at both, especially on A.

And yes, Kelly has got to be there. Just ask 6'4" Srah Boothe how much fun it was going up against Kelly in November 2011. Or Diggins/McBride in the 2013 national semis. God love that woman.

Reaction Score
Re: Defensive side

Kalana Greene was very stingy guarding wings and shooting guards....I would give her strong consideration at the 3

Stokes at the 5 - her overall defensive production was ridiculous, although both Tina and Kara W. were very strong in their own ways as well. Stef got to be a very good defensive player as well (even got that DPOY)

Maybe Asjha at the 4? Idk
How could I forget about Stokes...Definitely all defensive team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Defensive
PG Moriah
SG Faris
W: Nykeesha
F Stokes
P Wolters
Offensive
PG DT
SG KML
W Maya
F Stewie
P Charles

Reaction Score
PG Jefferson
SG Faris
SF Sales
PF Moore
C Charles (really struggled about putting Stokes in here)

Can play man to man against any smaller lineup. Can pack it in if there's a post that Moore has trouble with.

PG Bird
SG Taurasi
SF Moore
PF Stewart
C Charles

Coincidentally my all time 5.

Reaction Score
PG Jefferson
SG Faris
SF Sales
PF Moore

Can play man to man against any smaller lineup. Can pack it in if there's a post that Moore has trouble with.

PG Bird
SG Taurasi
SF Moore
PF Stewart
C Charles

Can't see a defensive team without Stokes.

Reaction Score
PG Jefferson
SG Faris
SF Sales
PF Moore

PG Bird
SG Taurasi
SF Moore
PF Stewart
C Charles

Can't see an offensive team without KML, greatest 3 point shooter ever, could post up and hit the midrange.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Have all of you forgot Schumaker swatting nine shots away vs. Tennessee in an NC game? Or Tiffany Hayes giving Angel McCaughtry fits?

Or Stewie for her D as well as O?

Reaction Score
Have all of you forgot Schumaker swatting nine shots away vs. Tennessee in an NC game? Or Tiffany Hayes giving Angel McCaughtry fits?

Or Stewie for her D as well as O?
OK, who do you like for your teams? It's a shame, all the great players that are left off lists like this. Shea, Svetlana, Jen, Lobo and many others.

Reaction Score
Defensive team

PG: MoJetts
SG: Kelly Faris
SF: Kalana Greene
PF: Ashley Battle
C: Kia Stokes

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
OK, who do you like for your teams? It's a shame, all the great players that are left off lists like this. Shea, Svetlana, Jen, Lobo and many others.

I confess, I must take a cop-out. I would simply put Diana, Maya, Stewie, Jenn and Nykesha on the court and say Sic 'em!

On second thought, Stef, Shea, Svet, Swin and Sauer (my "S" team).

Or Kiah, Kia, Kaleena, Kelly and Kara (my "K" team).

Just too many great players -- and I love every one of them!

Reaction Score
Can't see an offensive team without KML, greatest 3 point shooter ever, could post up and hit the midrange.
She can play the 2 guard, but it's not her natural position. Having two true distributors makes the offense function cleanly, and we haven't had a better distributor and all around offensive point guard than Sue Bird. But I might be singing a different tune on that last point a year from now.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I confess, I must take a cop-out. I would simply put Diana, Maya, Stewie, Jenn and Nykesha on the court and say Sic 'em!

On second thought, Stef, Shea, Svet, Swin and Sauer (my "S" team).

Or Kiah, Kia, Kaleena, Kelly and Kara (my "K" team).

Just too many great players -- and I love every one of them!
Or how bout the MO better team:
Choosen from: MOore (M), MOore (J), MOriah, MOrgan, MOntgomery MOsqueda-Lewis, with cameos from AbrasiMOva, and the backfilled with BascOM, and ThOMas

Reaction Score
By the end of this year no one will be leaving Mo Jeff off of their offensive team, no wait I mean defensive team, no I mean both teams.

Reaction Score
There cannot be an all time UConn defensive team that does not include Nykesha Sales, UConn's only two time Big East Defensive Player of the Year.
There cannot be an all time UConn offensive team that does not include Nykesha Sales who is still the third all time scorer and was the go to player throughout her four years at UConn.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I see all of these teams have one thing on common and that's Moriah Jefferson at PG, didn't UConn have two PG's named Sue Bird and Renee Montgomery that were pretty decent?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There cannot be an all time UConn defensive team that does not include Nykesha Sales, UConn's only two time Big East Defensive Player of the Year.There cannot be an all time UConn offensive team that does not include Nykesha Sales who is still the third all time scorer and was the go to player throughout her four years at UConn.
I see all of these teams have one thing on common and that's Moriah Jefferson at PG, didn't UConn have two PG's named Sue Bird and Renee Montgomery that were pretty decent?
You are both just pointing out why this was such a good exercise. There were only 5 season in which a UCONN player average more than 20 Points per game. Bascom did it 3 of those 5 times. Sales =1 time and Maya=1 time. So how can Bascom be left off any all offensive team? Wait that was my post! I can’t argue with myself.

Reaction Score
You are both just pointing out why this was such a good exercise. There were only 5 season in which a UCONN player average more than 20 Points per game. Bascom did it 3 of those 5 times. Sales =1 time and Maya=1 time. So how can Bascom be left off any all offensive team? Wait that was my post! I can’t argue with myself.
Never saw Bascom play. How good was she?

Reaction Score
Right now, Sue, Sales, Maya, Stewie and Tina on offense and Mo, Sales, Faris, AB and Stokes on defense, but every year we add another layer of excellence and every year this question becomes more and more challenging.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And lets not forget JenR who was the first great one and Rita Williams who was no slouch. I do think if Moriah has a healthy and consistent senior year that as a college player she will be view in ten years as the greatest of the bunch and she is already in comparable territory.
There cannot be an all time UConn defensive team that does not include Nykesha Sales, UConn's only two time Big East Defensive Player of the Year.
There cannot be an all time UConn offensive team that does not include Nykesha Sales who is still the third all time scorer and was the go to player throughout her four years at UConn.
Luckily I included her on my defensive team so I pass your test! (and I funked out on an offensive team because there were just so many options!) Her record for steals in a career is 20% higher than the second place total and of the 7 individual 100+ steal seasons she has three, and Moriah is next with two - her senior season that was cut short was her only one without 100 steals - she ended up with 98 missing eight games at the end of that year.

FYI Moriah should take over the number two career steals position next year (she currently sits at #8) from JenR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom