UConn will defend NCAA title with cameras focused: 'Look behind the scenes' | The Boneyard

UConn will defend NCAA title with cameras focused: 'Look behind the scenes'

Reaction Score
Interesting. UConn stepping up their media presence.

A videographer followed Hurley’s every move Friday, part of in-house productions and a beefed-up approach to social engagement on the part of the men’s basketball program, the athletic department, and Learfield.

More projects are under consideration, Hurley said. UConn has been approached by several groups from an entertainment industry that is starving for original content amid the ongoing writer’s strike.

Hurley said UConn’s entire season might be documented, a behind-the-scenes, all-access show that would air sometime in 2024. Amazon Prime is one possibility, Hurley said. He might be mic’d up during games. Cameras would be everywhere, in the locker rooms, in meetings, at practices.

Alternate access:

Dan Hurley, UConn men's basketball will defend NCAA title with cameras focused: 'Look behind the scenes'

Reaction Score
This is the type of thing UK and Duke have been getting for years. It would be awesome for recruiting.

I’d love for the football team to get something similar. The presence of Mora and the story of him rebuilding the program could make for an interesting documentary. Given the state of our program, Jim Mora himself would be the draw of the program. It would be great for marketing the program to recruits and for realignment.

Reaction Score
This is the type of thing UK and Duke have been getting for years. It would be awesome for recruiting.

I’d love for the football team to get something similar. The presence of Mora and the story of him rebuilding the program could make for an interesting documentary. Given the state of our program, Jim Mora himself would be the draw of the program. It would be great for marketing the program to recruits and for realignment.
Damn Hoopbound, you beat me to it. I was thinking the exact same thing when reading this. UConn has to be creative with its marketing to gain more fans much more so for the football until its production can catch up to the hype.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I’d love for the football team to get something similar.

crop

Reaction Score
I have mixed feeling about this kind of thing. There's no way that having cameras running doesn't impact people's behavior, but I think if there's one coach who can deal with it, it's Dan Hurley. Despite any negative impacts, from a positive standpoint, it's going to help recruiting.

Reaction Score
It'll help recruiting if it becomes popular enough and is promoted. But if no one watches it may just be annoying.
Never watched hard knocks but I love Wrexham.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
No it won’t. Grow up.
So you’re telling Hurley to grow up.

Quote from Hurley in article:

“It’s definitely scary, but we're proud of how we do things,” Hurley said. “We have some great personalities in the program, way beyond me. So we're thinking about it, but we're also weighing the distraction part of it.”

Six new players on the team five of which are freshmen plus a returning player who has been limited because of injury should cause any coach to be cautious. But more importantly are personalities. Joey, Adama and AJ were great at taking the circus attention off of players who were less comfortable with attention. Hurley will have to evaluate if anyone can step up and fill that responsibility.

Reaction Score
I have mixed feeling about this kind of thing. There's no way that having cameras running doesn't impact people's behavior, but I think if there's one coach who can deal with it, it's Dan Hurley. Despite any negative impacts, from a positive standpoint, it's going to help recruiting.
JUST SAY NO

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
So you’re telling Hurley to grow up.

Quote from Hurley in article:

“It’s definitely scary, but we're proud of how we do things,” Hurley said. “We have some great personalities in the program, way beyond me. So we're thinking about it, but we're also weighing the distraction part of it.”

Six new players on the team five of which are freshmen plus a returning player who has been limited because of injury should cause any coach to be cautious. But more importantly are personalities. Joey, Adama and AJ were great at taking the circus attention off of players who were less comfortable with attention. Hurley will have to evaluate if anyone can step up and fill that responsibility.

You're missing the other side of it.

The era we live in. You could make no better recruiting pitch for kids these days than a hard knocks style type of attention . That's what they live for.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
God I hope this happens. I'd love a "fly on the wall" season with this group and this coaching staff.
But it's not a "fly on the wall" when they know the cameras are there. Put me down in the yells at cloud column. Everyone will be playing to the cameras and game faces will be taken to new heights for a dubious payoff. It takes attention away from the business on the court, imo.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You're missing the other side of it.

The era we live in. You could make no better recruiting pitch for kids these days than a hard knocks style type of attention . That's what they live for.
Not at all. Not acknowledging something doesn’t mean it was missed.

I’m sure you would agree that winning back to back NC’s or another deep tournament run would be just as, if not more, valuable in recruiting as a media piece. The staff should consider if this group might be distracted reducing chances of that happening.

I felt Zl was OTT in his response to SonofRobert particularly given Hurley was weighing the situation exactly the same way.

The best situation would be that the players love the attention. That it motivates them to focus and prove to the world how good they are. And does not add additional pressure on them because a spotlight is pointed at them before the season begins.

The other side to your coin is the season is documented and the team crashes. A bad season after an NC is bad enough. HuskyHawk has made that clear in his thesis about KU vs. UConn. Documenting it would be a lot worse for the program.

Reaction Score
I hope this happens for 2 reasons. One is getting an inside look into all the behind the scenes stuff with the program and it'll be a ton of exposure/huge boost for recruiting. The other is it will make a portion of this board extremely, extremely angry and that will be almost as good as the actual footage. Because if you can't handle the cameras and pressure, you shouldn't be at UConn

Reaction Score
But it's not a "fly on the wall" when they know the cameras are there. Put me down in the yells at cloud column. Everyone will be playing to the cameras and game faces will be taken to new heights for a dubious payoff. It takes attention away from the business on the court, imo.

I don't know, maybe that was your experience when a camera crew was following you for 8 months but most people who have participated in things like "Hard Knocks" have said that the cameras fade into the background pretty quickly. I think it would be entertaining as hell and I'm all for it.

Reaction Score
Like most thinks that you take a chance on you have to weigh the risk and the rewards. DH makes the big bucks and with it comes tough decisions.

Reaction Score
No more moving backwards. Powerhouse status with reloading years from here on out.

Reaction Score
I feel the exposure is worth the risk. I wonder who has the final editing decisions. But since it's an in house production I wouldn't expect any major negatives to make it pass the cutting room floor. As a fan this should be awesome

Poe

Reaction Score
An upscale Last Chance U … it would be awesome, but definitely a distraction and an invitation for criticism after the fact, but the exposure might out weigh any negatives depending on the spin that’s made by the media company creating it.

Reaction Score
He's nuts. Looking for a film deal? At expense of UConn 'secrets"??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom