UConn Will Beat ND | The Boneyard

UConn Will Beat ND

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn has jumped over the hurdle of being tenative and is not the same team they were a couple of weeks ago. With the emergence of our underclassman and our injuries pretty much healed we are playing with confidence. Injuries except for Stef have pretty much healed and UConn is almost 100%. The freshman have confidence and are playing with confidence. UConns guard play is much improved. With that being what it is Stewie is playing like a monster and General MoJeff has taken the reins allowing Bria to play her natural position. Alot of improvements since the last time UConn met ND in a game that UConn had in it grasps.

ND will need a new game plan and the question can they put one together by Sunday nite. Even if they do UConn is firing on all cylinders. Barring injuries UConn will win this game.

UConns height advantage and shot blocking ability is going to be tuff to coach againest. With a much improved Stewie and Kiah I like our chances in the paint MoJeff running the point means we dont have to worry about breaking the press or having the ball stolen. We will not be tentative with the ball. MoJeff handleing the point brings confidence to the team and one less thing to worry about. On the other hand with MoJeff on defense ND does have to worry about the ball being stolen and defending her dribble drives whether scoring or dishing off.

I expect a hard fought game. I expect UConn to play with confidence now that they have MoJeff running the show. She dosnt have to score alot, her presence will bring calmness to the team knowing they can play their game. This is a big step towards our 8th National Championship. UConn 73 ND 67

Reaction Score
I agree. I think we all feel that we were one sure handling guard away from beating them each of those games this year. One other thing I noticed in ND game last night was the refs calling ND for fouls they usually get away with. If we can get a game called fairly evenly and negate their usual foul line advantage it should help us. We will need to score efficiently in the post, pressure Achodnwa and get her in foul trouble, and avoid the "charges" Duke fell prey to. I feel we are playing better than we have all year. ND has been fairly consistently playing at this level all year. I haven't seen a lot of improvement in their game. Even their freshmen were playing well and contributing to their games throughout the year. It helped them be a much better team than anyone expected. Our defense will give them a lot of trouble and I expect Geno to come up with some wrinkles to hold down their offensive numbers enough to lead to the win. It won't be easy but I expect us to come away with the win. Your score prediction looks pretty solid.

Reaction Score
I would love to see Diggins get into foul trouble early... or have McBride or Ochangwa (spelling) get into foul trouble early. But I do agree the Guard play is much better than it was months ago.

D

DanDar

MoJeff turned the ball over twice in her first 5 minutes in the game against Kentucky. She settled down later and played well but they did get to her at first. Skylar is on a whole another level. ND will press our guards and make them prove that they can bring the ball up. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hartley bring the ball up and then give it to MoJeff to actually run the play.

Defensively referees tend to protect Skylar. Jefferson may get called on touch fouls trying to steal the ball away from Diggins. They will always err on the side of ND in that battle.

UConn will have an advantage in the post but it will be the guards who decide the game. If Jefferson can play as well as she did the last two games, UConn wins going away. If Notre Dame proves too tough, it will be another nail-biter with ND pulling it out in the crunch time.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
What officials need to watch is Skylar swatting down the arms of defenders and her hooking players when she drives on them. On defense they need to call her for arm slap fouls when she goes back door.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Let me remind you, Tony, that you are 0 for 3 on these ND predictions this season. Let's just believe that UCONN will play its best and that doing so takes care of business.

1. I can't believe that you are responding to one of Tony's prediction posts.

2. He is 33-1 in all his other predictions.

Reaction Score
What the refs need to be aware of is what I call Skylar's "Moonwalk Drive" (She does resemble Michael Jackson in many ways). She goes down the lane and charges into the defender bent backwards into a C shape as she shoots. It looks like she's moving away from the defender when in reality she's charging.

Reaction Score
In the FF two years ago, ND beat UConn in regulation. Last year, UConn took ND to overtime. This is our year.

Reaction Score
What officials need to watch is Skylar swatting down the arms of defenders and her hooking players when she drives on them. On defense they need to call her for arm slap fouls when she goes back door.

Ice I have been saying all year if they gave out acadamy awards for acting while playing BBall Diggins would get it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Let me remind you, Tony, that you are 0 for 3 on these ND predictions this season. Let's just believe that UCONN will play its best and that doing so takes care of business.
Bah, ...well then he's due isn't he?

I have to admit that I am nervous about this game, but I think Tony nailed the reasons why we will prevail. Hopefully Skylar doesn't get the Michael Jordan treatment from the refs. Other than that I like our chances.

(but we're DOOOOOMED!)

Reaction Score
3 out of 4 isn't bad, but UCONN wins on Sunday going away with another all Big east Final.......Where are all the great teams from the ACC, SEC, Big 12, B10............HOME!!.........

Reaction Score
If we play the way we did against Kentucky....no one will beat us!

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Although if Geno plays MJ we have a good chance. He needs to believe that mj is the answer to our pg woahs. Aka doty

Reaction Score
I was at the games on Sat and Mon. The UConn team looked vastly different, not only the improved freshmen but in general demeanor. I agree with Tony...we'll beat ND this time.

Reaction Score
...and then maybe we get to see the Schimmel Show up close and personal, which would also be a hoot ;)

12507073-large_0.jpg

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I will always be positive always be positive. I have been right on all the UConn NCAA games this season. In fact I said UConn would beat UK by 30-35 and they did. Same with MD.

A couple of things that stand out that make us much better. No worries about the point which takes the pressure off Bria Caroline and Kelly. MoJeff taking charge ala General Jefferson. MoJeffs presence has brought a positive mentally to the rest of the teams confidence. Her ability to steal the ball and make plays has increased team confidence too. Stewie is a scoring option inside and out and her shot blocking is intimadating. I dont expect our freshman to be intimatdated by ND, I expect them to intimadate ND. ND will be challanged by UConn and I expect a war. We need to stay out of foul trouble and we will be fine.

Reaction Score
This portends to be one of the more difficult, never relax watches, as ND always seems to thrive in the second half (even setting aside this year - lest anyone forget a 16 point first half lead with a supremely talented UConn team, winding up a 15 point loss in a previous national semifinal).

I agree with most here that Diggins celebrity affords her Michael Jordan-like privilege with officials, especially with her trademarks - on defense, the dribble past, forearm/wrist hack and on offense, the drive to contact / draw the block.

One would hope Moriah Jefferson's speed and lateral quickness - especially in the full court - would give her fits (if she didn't foul out in the first half), especially as it appears Diggins does not handle being harassed all that well. Perhaps a modified page out of the Jeff Walz' school of "tough defense?"

Either way - much prefer to see Faris on McBride than Diggins, whose own superior lateral quickness presents issues. Last time around UConn made that switch only roughly mid-way through the second half, with positive results - only 1 basket - on a switch dribble drive.

Reaction Score
I think this game is a toss up, just like the other 3 this year. In UConn's favor - improved play by your freshman; payback as motivation; the difficulty of winning four out of four games between evenly matched teams; less pressure as they are not the heavy favorite. Negatives for UConn - it is your freshman's first final four and you now rely on them pretty heavily; Stephanie Dolson's health; UConn has not yet shown that they can win close games; ND's guard play is better than yours this year.

I think it will be another classic and can't wait to watch the game. I definitely think the winner of this game will take the title.

Reaction Score
3 out of 4 isn't bad, but UCONN wins on Sunday going away with another all Big east Final.......Where are all the great teams from the ACC, SEC, Big 12, B10............HOME!!.........
WHAT great teams? Okay Baylor but otherwise... They're all great until they run into an actual great team when they're outed as poseurs.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I will always be positive always be positive. I have been right on all the UConn NCAA games this season.
I don't think the regular season or the NCAA games have been tough to choose. Your predicitions of the ND games, however, have been very rough. Being positive is one thing failing establish reasonable balance is another. One has to believe but not to the point of gilding the lily.

Reaction Score
Everyone talks about the x's and o's. I think this is all psychological. Both teams are evenly matched, it seems, from a physical standpoint. The difference in recent history is that ND believes they can win. If UConn can have the equivalent mindset, all else being equal, they win.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
ND will be the heavy favorite. They have beaten UConn 7 out of the last 8 times and three in-a-row. They have a quickness advantage at every position...only MoJeff is quicker than her corresponding ND player and Diggins' longer reach and favored status from the zebras tends to negate that. Stef is hurting. We are doomed, clearly DOOMED!
That being said, it is a very tough feat to beat a closely matched opponent four times in the a row. The pressure will be in their corner. Stewie and MoJeff are playing much better than in the previous matchups...as they say: it is ON LIKE DONKEY KONG!

Reaction Score
I have no idea who is going to win this game...but I would have felt cheated if, by some miracle, Duke had prevailed vs ND. If we should win the NC, it would not make me feel better knowing that our path to the title was smoothed by the likes of Louisville or Duke. Victory will be all the sweeter if it is accomplished beating the best. Do I hate ND? Of course. Am I galled by the sight of Skylar's well-earned and well-deserved swagger after they send us down to defeat yet again? You bet! But, hell, if they manage to whip us four times in one season, they deserve to win the NC, and I'll root for them in the final. They will have earned our respect. If we win, on the other hand, that feat will effectively erase the previous losses, and we will have truly earned our shot, and, I suspect, our eventual victory. But this is the matchup we all should have been ardently hoping for...let's get ready to rumble!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom