"UConn WBB team playing with 'tremendous chemistry" (article) | The Boneyard

"UConn WBB team playing with 'tremendous chemistry" (article)

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
In regards to the last point, it alludes to why I do not believe Bueckers needs to shoot a lot more. During her freshman season she averaged 16 shots per game, about the same amount Stewart averaged for her career and 2 less than M. Moore averaged. Bueckers was significantly more efficient than the team as a whole and an argument could be made that she should have shot even more because of her better efficiency.

However, I felt there was a bit of watching the phenomenal Bueckers even back then that undermined the performance of her teammates. This year the team as a whole is almost as efficient as Bueckers. Taking shots away from them is not going to enhance overall efficiency as it might have three years ago. Also, many of these teammates are freshman, in need of their opportunities for more shots, not less, in order to grow and become better for the team.

Bueckers is the most savvy UConn player I’ve witnessed, the only player whose judgement I might consider over her brilliant coach. If she needs to take all the shots in an overtime game, shooting 8/9 in the process, she will do so. Otherwise, her instinct to get her young yet very efficient teammates involved is spot on.

As a side note the freshmen also benefit from Muhl’s instinct to get her teammates involved. This particular team was blessed to have this particular crop of freshmen come in, but these freshmen were also blessed to come into a situation with plenty of opportunities and two supreme facilitators.

Reaction Score
In regards to the last point, it alludes to why I do not believe Bueckers needs to shoot a lot more. During her freshman season she averaged 16 shots per game, about the same amount Stewart averaged for her career and 2 less than M. Moore averaged. Bueckers was significantly more efficient than the team as a whole and an argument could be made that she should have shot even more because of her better efficiency.

However, I felt there was a bit of watching the phenomenal Bueckers even back then that undermined the performance of her teammates. This year the team as a whole is almost as efficient as Bueckers. Taking shots away from them is not going to enhance overall efficiency as it might have three years ago. Also, many of these teammates are freshman, in need of their opportunities for more shots, not less, in order to grow and become better for the team.

Bueckers is the most savvy UConn player I’ve witnessed, the only player whose judgement I might consider over her brilliant coach. If she needs to take all the shots in an overtime game, shooting 8/9 in the process, she will do so. Otherwise, her instinct to get her young yet very efficient teammates involved is spot on.

As a side note the freshmen also benefit from Muhl’s instinct to get her teammates involved. This particular team was blessed to have this particular crop of freshmen come in, but these freshmen were also blessed to come into a situation with plenty of opportunities and two supreme facilitators.
Right on so many levels. Most of all, on the Paige-watching which has been a danger since her freshman year, and the team that year paid the price for it in the final four game against Arizona. Also right on the mutual blessings between the freshmen and the seniors. This would be a fascinating season to watch unfold just for this alone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits
Top Bottom