UConn vs. USF Game Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

UConn vs. USF Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Boy Jose really wanted Williams to score a bunch of points. She was taking 3 pointers with 10 seconds left? Poor form Jose.

I'm very glad UCONN held her to 6 points for the entire 2nd half. Given she took 22 shots over all to get 21 points, I'd say we did a great job of stopping her in the 2nd half. Now if we could put 2 halves like that together against USF LOL...
You know, if you're bombing away when you're UP 20, that's poor form. For a competitor to keep shooting when she's about to get beaten by 20 .... I've got to cut Williams and Jose some slack there.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You know, if you're bombing away when you're UP 20, that's poor form. For a competitor to keep shooting when she's about to get beaten by 20 .... I've got to cut Williams and Jose some slack there.
As Nan said, he probably wants her to put up big numbers to impress AA voters. Leaving your star in when down 20 to the very end of the game? And having her jack up most of the shots at the end against all the UCONN reserves? I don't cut any slack for that. And she missed most of her shots anyway.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Great 2nd half of Basketball. Glad to see Napheesa get some minutes in this game. She gets bumped around a lot, but rarely does she get fouls called on the opposing player to send her to the FT line. She gets there but not as often as she should.

Reaction Score
Why the early deficit? Because Williams was spectacular early, and we shot terribly. But what I think really enabled USF to get a lead and play us even for the first half was all the bad, not-smart fouls we committed. And the crappy officiating. USF knew they'd have trouble matching up with us, so they seemed determined to get us in foul trouble by drawing all those charges. It worked for a while by taking Moriah out of her aggressive mode, though she came out smart and overcame her fouls in the 3rd quarter and played great.

Like Geno says- smart teams don't foul. I think today was an aberration, but other teams may try the same crap- pack it in, draw fouls and get us in foul trouble Hopefully we'll play smarter.

And Lou- yikes! She must play a lot smarter- those fouls on the USF three-point shooters were so darn dumb . She can defend better. We need her in the game, not on the bench.

In the end, the team showed great poise under fire, in one of the few contested games this year. It should help moving forward.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How can Stewie take 25 shots mostly in the lane, and not get to the foul line? Sorry but the officials let teams get away with way too much against Stewie.
Agree, and we should add at least 15 pts to Stewie for the FT

Reaction Score
After seeing Danny's video the other day I'd like to start an informal petition to have UConn live broadcast the student giveaways. Kia and Gabby have become a top notch comedic duo.

Come on UConn; put these kids on live!
You'd have to figure out what games those two are specifically going to do it. It may not even be something that's predetermined.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
For all the bad in the first half that was actually the best game they'd played against these young women in three games. It was the best half they'd played against them in perhaps more than that. KLS will take a lot away from this game. These gals are tough for UConn, to say the least.

Reaction Score
That's still hard to predict. Never know how much with Chong is injury or doghouse. And Butler will be used if the matchups are right.

The only reason to put Butler in is if there's a situation where she would perform better than Tuck or Stewie. I do not believe such a situation exists.

Whether Chong is in the doghouse or not will get resolved next year. Geno does not mess around during tourney time.

It's a 7 person rotation going forward.

Reaction Score
USF was also without their second best scoring option. If we have a rematch next Monday and Laksa is available that might keep things a little closer than tonight. And of course there's a chance we get to play them a fourth time in the NCAA tournament.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
That's still hard to predict. Never know how much with Chong is injury or doghouse. And Butler will be used if the matchups are right.
That's the 7 man rotation barring any injuries- take it to the bank. Chong won't be in till games are out of reach. Whether injury or otherwise- this is it. Butlers minutes will be minimal at best. And anyone who doesn't think Colier will be playing 37 minutes per game next year must be seeing something that I don't see! She will be a monster next year- she can do everything! And she'll be finishing better. She's been great defensively in there and keeps every rebound alive!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
All-American voters like gaudy numbers. Jose probably wants to ensure the voters notice Courtney.
I think she's prolific! And if Morgan's in the draft this year - I think Courtney goes ahead of her. Even without her knee- Courtney is something - don't you think so?
Her step back jump shots are unstoppable and accurate- even doubled and tripled-

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Boy Jose really wanted Williams to score a bunch of points. She was taking 3 pointers with 10 seconds left? Poor form Jose.

I'm very glad UCONN held her to 6 points for the entire 2nd half. Given she took 22 shots over all to get 21 points, I'd say we did a great job of stopping her in the 2nd half. Now if we could put 2 halves like that together against USF LOL...
At What point in the 4th qtr was Courtney supposed to not shoot or score? I'm not sure I understand that dig at both her and Jose? We try to score late in the game?

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
As Nan said, he probably wants her to put up big numbers to impress AA voters. Leaving your star in when down 20 to the very end of the game? And having her jack up most of the shots at the end against all the UCONN reserves? I don't cut any slack for that. And she missed most of her shots anyway.
What

We play our starters well into the fourth qtr when we are up 50 pts. And you're going batty over C Williams and Jose for her trying to score late??? Were they supposed ego quit and go home after the 3rd period?

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Not quite. I think that was a bit premature.
I think for the right team- she could be the #2 pick in the draft. She looks like Kemba Walker on those step back soft unstoppable jump shots- she's the bomb!

Reaction Score
I think for the right team- she could be the #2 pick in the draft. She looks like Kemba Walker on those step back soft unstoppable jump shots- she's the bomb!

I'm not sure if your post was meant as a response to my post or rather just a statement of how you feel about C. WIlliams.
She certainly looked unstoppable at times, at least when her shots went in.
;)
# 9 of 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member