UConn vs Texas at Yankee Stadium? | The Boneyard

UConn vs Texas at Yankee Stadium?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Geez - he sure left some wiggle room in that statement:

>>Athletic department sources said that UConn may be on the Big 12’s radar because of its presence in New York, to the degree that the UConn-Texas basketball series may continue in the future at Madison Square Garden and UConn-Texas may play football in the future at Yankee Stadium. What is fact and what is fiction is unclear, but there’s no denying that UConn will be in the conversation, if the Big 12 expands.<<

I'm more intrigued about the Tranghese assist.

Reaction Score
Historically, trying to get POSSIBLE future scheduling information out of the UCONN athletic department before contracts are signed has been near impossible. It's akin to trying to pry open a mollusk that's one just pulled out of the briny depths. News of a MAYBE Huskies-Bevo matchup at the Baseball Cathedral in the South Bronx could be the smouldering before the conflagration in CR.
(But then there's RULE Numero Uno to contend with)

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I think that was in the context of joining the Big 12. Having a home game a year at Yankee Stadium for say Oklahoma or Texas...

I like the idea personally, much better than say MetLife or Gillette.

Reaction Score
I think that was in the context of joining the Big 12. Having a home game a year at Yankee Stadium for say Oklahoma or Texas...

Exactly what I thought when I saw this. Would totally be up for this.

Reaction Score
I'm not being picky though. If we're in Big 12 and get the $20+ million a year in TV rights... I'd play a home game in Singapore.

Notre Dame probably read that and is already working on it.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Exactly what I thought when I saw this. Would totally be up for this.
Ugh, who cares where, as long as its north of Newark and south of Boston. I have my wallet ready for this one. Please, please, please announce something.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
The exposure of playing in NYC would help UConn tremendously.

How much have we gained in BB by playing (and winning) at MSG?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

MetLife is a much better football venue. I'd rather watch a game there. FWIW. Of course whatever it takes to get UConn a marquee game in the NYC metro area is fine with me.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
That article was dreadful. I get arguments for renovating/rebuilding the XL, but his argument is basically, "sports are cool and fun, people who don't like sports should shut up; let's build a stadium" without considering any of the economic benefits/pitfalls associated with publicly financed stadiums (especially in failing cities). There are arguments both for and against development, but bring something substantial to the table in your column, jeez...

Reaction Score
The exposure of playing in NYC would help UConn tremendously.

How much have we gained in BB by playing (and winning) at MSG?

Agreed. Even if the crowd was 50/50 (which it wouldn't be) both schools and a possible network get the type of exposure that advertising can't buy in Norman, Oklahoma or even Austin, Texas. Involves the tri-state media markets and bringing in recruits throughout NJ, NY, PA and CT. It's such a win-win to have UConn as a member you wonder why a Houston would even be in the discussion as they already have great exposure in that market and recruiting area. Why pay twice for something you already have?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Texas was working towards home games in Mexico but I believe that has been placed on back burner.

Reaction Score
That article was dreadful. I get arguments for renovating/rebuilding the XL, but his argument is basically, "sports are cool and fun, people who don't like sports should shut up; let's build a stadium" without considering any of the economic benefits/pitfalls associated with publicly financed stadiums (especially in failing cities). There are arguments both for and against development, but bring something substantial to the table in your column, jeez...

I think that's enough. :)

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
The only reason I say Yankee stadium is there's a bit more media buzz around it... at least the first time.

Reaction Score
It's a good idea to have it at Yankee stadium because people can hop on the metro north. Nobody likes to drive to east Rutherford

I hope Metro North has more trains if this game happens. I was on one of the trains for the Army game in 2014 and it was ridiculously packed.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken, Metro North had the same number of trains that day as they do for a weekend Yankee home game during the summer. Where did you get on? Those traveling from New Haven and Milford had a seat. Getting to the bathroom got to be a challenge but we had a seat.

Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken, Metro North had the same number of trains that day as they do for a weekend Yankee home game during the summer. Where did you get on? Those traveling from New Haven and Milford had a seat. Getting to the bathroom got to be a challenge but we had a seat.

West Haven. There were barely any open seats - my son had a seat but I stood up the whole way there!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
West Haven. There were barely any open seats - my son had a seat but I stood up the whole way there!
The car I was on didn't really start to fill up (read: standing room only) until about Bridgeport, IIRC. We may have started out a bit earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom