UConn vs Stanford Game Preview | The Boneyard

UConn vs Stanford Game Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Great job Doggy. I do see a big time blowout Monday night. It will open the of eyes of a lot of opposing coaches. The real eye opener will be our next 3 games. Stanford @Maryland and @ Penn St. All should be lop sided wins and if they are blow outs well its another domin8 season for UConn. The question will be how does Stanford defend UConn. How do they stop our big underneath? They cant. Chiney will have a very tuff time scoring again. This one could be over in the first 10 minutes of the game. If Chiney is slowed down and doesn't shoot better then last season I find it hard to see Stanford within 30 pts of UConn. I do expect the bench to be cleared in the second half . I think it will be that way for most of the season.

Watching the Hartford game and seeing the confidence and execution by UConn and the help defense especially down low from out bigs. The biggest difference this season is UConn is healthy and has a year of experience. This years version of UConn is unstoppable. They can do pretty much what they want. Opponets don't have the athletes or chemistry on defense to stop UConn. Im really excited.

Last edited:

HGN

Reaction Score
Great analysis Doggy.....You really sniffed out and dug up some good points and facts. The evidence is there to sentence Stanford to a defeat of 15pts. The Cardinal will play hard to try to keep it close, but its an emotional night for the Huskies and overall talent and depth wins out in this one.

Reaction Score
Great analysis but the best part was the Immortalized section's reference to "Miller swillers" or words to that effect.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Doggy....that was awesome..!! At least three doggie treats are due....:)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Why am I in any way uneasy?

I suppose just not having enough information.

For example…How would one compare Boston College (which played Stanford reasonably close) to yesterday's Hawks.

Based on a quick look at last year's stats: Hartford won more games but BU had tougher competition in the ACC; North Carolina was their version of last year's ND for us. And in the last of 3 meetings they only lost by 5.

Common opponents: Maryland…similar results… BU destroyed Vermont by 37 in Dec and Hartford beat UV handily 3 times.

I started out fretting that the Hawks were a far inferior opponent, but they're probably at a similar level.

A case could be made for Geno taking his foot off the pedal early, real early with yesterday's subbing patterns and limited use of Tuck.

One knows that the Card kids are going to come into town with vengeance in their hearts and play crazy hard.

DO they have the horses to pull it out? Probably not.

UConn by 15 in a slightly more competitive game than anticipated.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Doogy, you are the bomb! Excellent stuff. BTW - CD says there are still some tix available for the Stanford game. Hard to believe, but evidently so, banner unveiling and all.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
You deleted Polly and Tierney from the Bench because you don't expect them to see playing time? I suspect you are dead on about the game.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Games can change early on foul calls - I was checking the other box scores from the top 25 over the last two days and most of the games were around 40 foul calls fairly evenly distributed. Was surprised to see Thomas only got 10 minutes against South Florida but then saw the 4 fouls. Stewie got her second foul because she slipped down and slid into the feet of a Hartford player. A couple of those sorts of things and it can change the complexion of a game. I think Uconn is better able to handle someone picking up a couple of cheap fouls, but it does still worry me.

Reaction Score
Doggy, great analysis! Just one note, I believe Chiney is a senior not a junior.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Coach V is very experienced and a good tactician. Adjustments will be made that will make Chiney more effective. We are doomed, DOOMED for sure.
P.S. S.S.O.F.!

Reaction Score
That was painful to watch. It was like smashing an amoeba with a sledge hammer. The game was over before the National Anthem finished. I hope the next game is a little more competitive .

Reaction Score
Doogy, you are the bomb! Excellent stuff. BTW - CD says there are still some tix available for the Stanford game. Hard to believe, but evidently so, banner unveiling and all.
Checked a little while ago plenty of tix available. Even chair backs in the corner.

Reaction Score
I was thinking about how this Husky team will be different from the team Stanford encountered last December, and was surprised by how much more formidable they seem.

Yes, Faris is gone, but her spirit seems to remain as an inspiration and an aspiration: defensive persistence, grit, determination.

And yes, Doty is gone, but the team collectively is more mature and self-possessed.

Dolson is a more agile defender, and has broader offensive range.

Stewart is notably more confident and more effective in every way.

KML is a more committed and skilled defender, and a more versatile offensive player with her inside game.

Hartley is healthy and more confidently herself.

MoJeff is a more dynamic point than the team had last year.

Tuck is healthy, and an impressive presence that was absent last year.

Banks will need some time (maybe less than expected) to hit her stride, but Stokes and Chong have the potential to have impact off the bench.

Am I imagining all this?

How has Stanford improved?

Reaction Score
DOG: obviously you do this so very well. A pleasure every time out. Thank you. Extremely busy day here today (gearing up for b'day 80 tomorrow etc) and wasn't going to sign in here, but had to take a moment to tell you I'm not just tippin the cap to you for your analysis - I'm doffing it. :)

Reaction Score
We beat them by 25 on their home court. No reason to expect less tonight at home.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Watching the UHart game again on replay, I'm really struck by Stef's rejuvenated legs this season. She was really hobbled at the end of last year.

She has got some very nimble feet, no joke. Time was when I would sweat seeing Big Mama trying to come out and face guard people on the perimeter. No more.

As long as she stays within herself and doesn't try to do *too* much on defense tonight--so as to avoid the potentially quick whistles--her feet and positioning should slow down Chiney again this year. I think CO will have a better game this year, as she will be determined, but it won't be enough. In case of happy whistles, we still have Stokes inside off the bench, easily the most intimidating reserve defender in WCBB.

Stewie playing more--and more impactful--minutes vs. last year is also a huge factor for us obviously. On both ends.

Game on!!!

Reaction Score
Good analysis with one correction. UConn leads the series 8 to 6. The following is from the Stanford Athletics Media Relations.

All-Time Against Connecticut
Connecticut leads the all-time series against Stanford, 8-6, heading into Monday’s clash. The Huskies
have won two in a row and five of the last six in the series, most recently a 61-35 victory last Dec.
29 at Maples Pavilion which ended the Cardinal’s program-record 82-game home winning streak.
Monday’s contest will be just Stanford’s second visit to Gampel Pavilion and first since Feb. 20, 1993,
when the Cardinal defeated the Huskies 68-54.

T

TroyHouse66

Re: Use of terminology "The Bench" or "The Subs"
Polly and Tierney have been added to allow these types of terms to be legitimately used, this year.
Everyone else on the roster are Starters...
[Rick: "Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your..."...season.]

As we saw with Il Maestro at UHart... It's a Mix-&-Match... interchangeable parts lineups. (Sort of like MLB having the "Situational Lefthander" in the bullpen... to be used for effect/affect, when required.)

Fans: "OMG, the next team we play has a bunch of 6-2" players..."
Coach: "Fine!... Let's just Tuck them away for a quarter. And, when they're tired, cast a little MoJo on them. Then, let'em Stew over that for a bit... Put the Kid-Most-Likely to shoot.. outside for a while. And, for the grand finale, finish big with Ms. Happy-Feet, Steffing in a few fatal 3s."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom