UConn vs Miami Final Four | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn vs Miami Final Four

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I’d say the main difference is the 2014 huskies had a top 10 defense (kenpom) and had the ability to just smother teams backcourts. I’m not seeing that with Miami.
Our guards were absolutely locked in on defense. Teams couldn't score in the paint against us because their guards couldn't get inside the 3-point line. Just insane half-court defense extending 25+ feet.

Reaction Score
LOL. I live in Orlando and everyone is all about UCF here. A ton of other people are Florida or Florida State fans, and there’s a healthy contingent of USF fans. I hear almost nothing about Miami

I was at Buffalo Wild Wings in Viera in central Florida on Saturday watching the games. There were FAU fans on Saturday but no Miami fans on Sunday. Very unscientific but I run across many more UCF fans than Miami. Too far south I guess (200 miles).

Reaction Score
Our guards were absolutely locked in on defense. Teams couldn't score in the paint against us because their guards couldn't get inside the 3-point line. Just insane half-court defense extending 25+ feet.
We also had Brimah and Daniels down low if the guards got beat, who between them averaged more blocks than Miami's whole team.

Reaction Score
I don't think there are a lot of wrinkles that Miami can throw at us on defense. We should be able to score.

The problem is they've averaged 87 ppg against three top 20 teams, including a #1 seed and a #2 seed who had a reasonable case for a #1.

Our individual on-ball defense is going to have to be excellent, like it was early in the year. If we have to do a lot of helping and doubling, we're going to be in trouble.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Huh?! They lost to Georgia Tech and Florida State. Each of them is far far worse than our St. John's loss. Statistically, St. John's was about as good as Vanderbilt. Georgia Tech was more like Harvard. Florida State was more like Garner Webb.
I swear people go by reputation and just have no idea how bad those lower-tier ACC teams were this year. What do you mean bad loss, it's Florida State!

Reaction Score
a2022b08-f86c-4196-93de-32fe1624038b_text.gif

Reaction Score
They don't have a bad loss this season. They run a heavy guard set. We are deeper and can stretch the floor very well. We should have a rebounding edge.

This is going to be tight game with many lead changes. If Hawkins, Newton and Karaban can continue to hit their shots, I think we'll pull away late.

Sanogo and Clingan need to stay out of foul trouble.

Andre needs to control his emotions, play smart ball. I predict he finally gets a triple double this game.

It's going to be a battle. I see this game as harder then the potential champion game, much like in 2004. A hard game against dook, followed by a destruction of Wake Forest.

Uconn beat Miami in 2019 at the Charleston Classic. This won't be the first time Hurley has faced Larranaga and he has a better squad this time around

Go Uconn
Losing to Florida State and Georgia Tech are Massey #159 and #125 and FS was at home. St John's loss by UConn was to #69. Also gave up 105 points in a 2 point win over #167 Cornell. So Miami can play good but also have shown they can play pretty poorly. FS loss was in late February.

Reaction Score
Huh?! They lost to Georgia Tech and Florida State. Each of them is far far worse than our St. John's loss. Statistically, St. John's was about as good as Vanderbilt. Georgia Tech was more like Harvard. Florida State was more like Garner Webb.

When I mean bad, I meant that the losses were close games. Conference games are always tough, even with the teams on the lower levels

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Yeah, this Miami team is not like that 2014, except superficially. Bazz was better than anyone on their team by a lot (1st team AA), and we had a Top 10 defense. The offense was efficient enough (Top 40) but slow (sub-250).

Miami's defense is just okay (if we're being kind...if we're not, they're bad) and they play at a faster pace.
748499871fc110bb61280d957793ef6a.jpeg

Reaction Score
I learned on the Miami forum that we haven't beaten anyone good. That includes Gonzaga because they played poorly.
Most of the posts I read over there realize UConn is a juggernaut and they don't like their chances too much.

Reaction Score
I don't think there are a lot of wrinkles that Miami can throw at us on defense. We should be able to score.

The problem is they've averaged 87 ppg against three top 20 teams, including a #1 seed and a #2 seed who had a reasonable case for a #1.

Our individual on-ball defense is going to have to be excellent, like it was early in the year. If we have to do a lot of helping and doubling, we're going to be in trouble.
We also just held the best offense in the country to 54 points. 22 in the second half.

Reaction Score
Hello UConn fans!

Miami Hurricane fan here.

You guys seem very very confident in comparison to the Houston and Texas fans. LOL! Cool.

Could kind of tell that Houston fans were uptight about playing us when they kept spouting on and on about metrics. smh Obviously they don't tell even half the story.

A little about our team, our guards are quick but they are all 3 level players. decent height. Any one of them can hit from 3pt range and any can attack you off the dribble. Jordan MIller is our swing but he convers the other teams PF. He's strong and wirey but he can be pushed off his base by bigger PF. But if they aren't quick, they will have no chance of staying up with him. (See Texas PF trying to cover Jordan one on one. It went awfully for him until Jordan fouled him out.)

Norchad Omeir has been the piece that makes this all work. People point to our guards and they are good but Omeir allows for us to leak out on fast breaks by securing multiple offensive rebounds per night. He is as strong they come and well built. Your PF will be able to go over the top of him but he will not be able to bang him down. He can try. Others have.

You get Norchad off the floor and suddenly we're a team with almost no real board presence and we're forced to pack the paint to keep from getting killed.

Your guards are bigger than ours. I felt like we could shoot over Texas because their guards were short and slight. Your guards are all 6'5 or better. They should be able to shoot over the top of our guards.

One of the most unique things that I can think of about us is that we aren't wired to score in just one way and there isn't any one player that you can take from us on offense that will slow us down.

Texas decided to take away the entire teams ability to get clean 3pt shots(credit their D) we just beat them in a different way.

Our defense ranks low. No excuses. We attack passing lanes and take risks to create turnovers and get out and run. We can really run. Even our 6'9 backup PF is fast.

I think that everything.

Reaction Score
They don't have a bad loss this season. They run a heavy guard set. We are deeper and can stretch the floor very well. We should have a rebounding edge.

This is going to be tight game with many lead changes. If Hawkins, Newton and Karaban can continue to hit their shots, I think we'll pull away late.

Sanogo and Clingan need to stay out of foul trouble.

Andre needs to control his emotions, play smart ball. I predict he finally gets a triple double this game.

It's going to be a battle. I see this game as harder then the potential champion game, much like in 2004. A hard game against dook, followed by a destruction of Wake Forest.

Uconn beat Miami in 2019 at the Charleston Classic. This won't be the first time Hurley has faced Larranaga and he has a better squad this time around

Go Uconn
They actually have two bad losses, to Florida state, a 9-23 team, and Georgia tech, a 15-18 team

Reaction Score
Hello UConn fans!

You guys seem very very confident in comparison to the Houston and Texas fans. LOL! Cool.

Could kind of tell that Houston fans were uptight about playing us when they kept spouting on and on about metrics. smh Obviously they don't tell even half the story.

A little about our team, our guards are quick but they are all 3 level players. decent height. Any one of them can hit from 3pt range and any can attack you off the dribble. Jordan MIller is our swing but he convers the other teams PF. He's strong and wirey but he can be pushed off his base by bigger PF. But if they aren't quick, they will have no chance of staying up with him. (See Texas PF trying to cover Jordan one on one. It went awfully for him until Jordan fouled him out.)

Norchad Omeir has been the piece that makes this all work. People point to our guards and they are good but Omeir allows for us to leak out on fast breaks by securing multiple offensive rebounds per night. He is as strong they come and well built. Your PF will be able to go over the top of him but he will not be able to bang him down. He can try. Others have.

You get Norchad off the floor and suddenly we're a team with almost no real board presence and we're forced to pack the paint to keep from getting killed.

Your guards are bigger than ours. I felt like we could shoot over Texas because their guards were short and slight. Your guards are all 6'5 or better. They should be able to shoot over the top of our guards.

One of the most unique things that I can think of about us is that we aren't wired to score in just one way and there isn't any one player that you can take from us on offense that will slow us down.

Texas decided to take away the entire teams ability to get clean 3pt shots(credit their D) we just beat them in a different way.

Our defense ranks low. No excuses. We attack passing lanes and take risks to create turnovers and get out and run. We can really run. Even our 6'9 backup PF is fast.

I think that everything.
You guys have done great and are an excellent team. This will a tough game for sure.

Reaction Score
When I mean bad, I meant that the losses were close games. Conference games are always tough, even with the teams on the lower levels
They lost by 18 to Maryland.

There's also no way anyone posting here would handwave a loss to Georgetown or DePaul this year. Georgetown was roughly as good as Florida State. DePaul is better than both Florida State and Georgia Tech (and Notre Dame, and Boston College, and Louisville, to give you perspective for the bottom of that league).

Reaction Score
UConn first team ever to win every gave by 15+ points. Not sure that’s accurate but let’s just roll with it.
Recently .... it's been done before but quite a while back

Reaction Score
A little off topic. Miami and their former president Shalala conspired with BC to destroy the old big east. She vowed never to play UConn again. Although she is no longer there, UConn needs to kick their butts.

Reaction Score
A little off topic. Miami and their former president Shalala conspired with BC to destroy the old big east. She vowed never to play UConn again. Although she is no longer there, UConn needs to kick their butts.
We've been undefeated against them since they left. 2-0: beat them in 08-09 and then in 19-20.

We're 3-0 since Darius duck**** Rice.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
Hello UConn fans!

I think that everything.
thanks for coming by and for the overview. I think we feel like we're likely to win but your team has been very gutty and clutch, and anything can happen. One bad shooting night can end anyone's season at this point.

how deep into your bench do you guys go?

Reaction Score
UConn is 17-0 out of conference this season with no single-digit margins of victory. This includes wins over the top rated offense in the country, and the number one overall seed in the tournament… I mean, what’s the narrative here, Miami fans? Did we not play anybody? Really? Do all the other conferences suck, then, except the ACC? Okay, no worries, it’s only Monday. You’ve got six days to get your story straight. But it does need some tweaking. (Personally, in your position I’d just go with the “on any given Saturday” argument, and spend a lot of time in church this week.)

Reaction Score
thanks for coming by and for the overview. I think we feel like we're likely to win but your team has been very gutty and clutch, and anything can happen. One bad shooting night can end anyone's season at this point.

how deep into your bench do you guys go?
Coach L has really shortened his bench. I think we played only 8 against Texas. We go 2 bigs deep and thats it. After that we're digging into the freshman well and these guys aren't ready yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom