UConn vs. Memphis @ J.O.C. (Fri. 4/1/19 @ 3p, Sat 4/13 @ 1p & Sun. 4/14 @ *11:00am*) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn vs. Memphis @ J.O.C. (Fri. 4/1/19 @ 3p, Sat 4/13 @ 1p & Sun. 4/14 @ *11:00am*)

Reaction Score
LOL - WAVZ1300 stream just decided to switch to Jeremy Schapp @ top of 9.

Reaction Score
LOL - WAVZ1300 stream just decided to switch to Jeremy Schapp @ top of 9.

Actually, that sounds like the type of thing the Groton station would do with UConn basketball this past season.

Reaction Score
Penders basically said he didn’t have the team ready to play, had the wrong players in the lineup and it’s on him. (Crispino radio interview)

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Nice to see him take responsibility, even if he's being hard on himself.

Reaction Score
Penders basically said he didn’t have the team ready to play, had the wrong players in the lineup and it’s on him.
Who do you think he was talking about? My guess is Langer, Fedko and Pat Winkel. I got to the game B1 so missed Fedko’s slipup but heard Pat’s K. And I agree that Toppa took a lousy route to that double but that only cost them a run. Of course Polonia was greeted with a bomb.

Reaction Score
Who do you think he was talking about? My guess is Langer, Fedko and Pat Winkel. I got to the game B1 so missed Fedko’s slipup but heard Pat’s K. And I agree that Toppa took a lousy route to that double but that only cost them a run. Of course Polonia was greeted with a bomb.

The interview w/ Jones was a bit different than the one w/ Crispino but essentially the same messaging.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Momma said there would be days like this...…………………………...
Let's just not make it a habit

Reaction Score

Coaches often talk like this, but they often won't make too many moves. Still, the lineup hasn't been totally set this season, so a couple moves would not surprise me. From the Mike Crispino interview, Penders said something about the poor at bats out of the D.H. spot, so it would not be a surprise to see Langer out of the lineup tomorrow.

In addition to Pat Winkel's strikeouts, he had problems with balls getting by him today for wild pitches, and Penders mentioned that in the interviews, saying they are balls a catcher has to stop. Gozzo had the homer today, so it would not be a surprise to see him on the field tomorrow. Christian Fedko's offensively is one of the best players on the team this season, so he will be in the lineup tomorrow. I expect that he will stay at 2B, but it's always possible that he may be the D.H. tomorrow. I would think the rest of the regular lineup will be on the field tomorrow.

Penders singled out Jeff Kersten as one of the guys who he thought really competed today, but the two botched plays right at the beginning of the game plus the balls that went to the backstop really helped to undermined him today. Getting out of the first inning with no runs on the scoreboard due to the bad fielding puts a different tone to the game right off.

Johnson and Santos also got positive notices out of the pen. This may be especially important for Johnson, who Penders says has a world of talent, but often has trouble with control.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Tomorrow is very big. We cannot lose another home series to a non-contender (although Memphis is superior to Cincy IMO).

Reaction Score
Nice to see him take responsibility, even if he's being hard on himself.

Nothing new here. Coach Penders will criticize the players, but will often also take responsibility in post game interviews for not preparing them right after particularly bad days on the field.

Reaction Score
AAC Results though today:

ECU took UCLA to the wire again in game 2 of the series but lost 8-5 on a 3 run walk-off HR by Toglia (he had 5 RBI's yesterday). Third game starts @ 9:10ET.

Tulane took the series from USF w/ a 20-11 win
Cincy beat UCF 8-3 in Game 2 and then beat UCF 7-6 on a 2 run walk-off HR to sweep doubleheader.

Houston clinched the series from Wichita State w/ a 7-3 win.

Standings after today (not including late out of conference ECU game):

008.png

Reaction Score

From my perspective, always nice to have the games back on WHUS. For one thing, we can get the station on the radio here in eastern Connecticut, and I prefer that option than to listening to games over the internet. For another, Chris Jones will no doubt be the main man on the broadcast today, so the main focus will stay on UConn baseball and college baseball. If I wanted to listen to commentaries on pro baseball and other pro sports, there are always plenty of other mainstream outlets for that sort of thing.

Well, Paul Gozzo hits a homer, and finds himself in the lineup. That's a pretty simple formula for getting playing time.

Reaction Score
Funny that anyone associated with a conference opponent would like anything about playing in Storrs on the old ballfield.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom