Men - UConn vs. Long Island Univ. Sharks (3/20/24 @2:05p at Elliot Ballpark) Game on UConn+/Fox Sports Radio 97.9 & AM 1300 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Men UConn vs. Long Island Univ. Sharks (3/20/24 @2:05p at Elliot Ballpark) Game on UConn+/Fox Sports Radio 97.9 & AM 1300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bottom 3rd, with 1 out, UConn offense loads the bases. A Daniels ground out brings in a run, 7-5 UConn going to the 4th inning.

Reaction Score
Top 4th, Cooke gives up a 1 out solo homer, 7-6 UConn. Cooke leaves a runner on base after a 2 out walk, Cooke got 2 strikeouts that inning.

Reaction Score
Bottom 4th, with 2 outs UConn offense gets 2 freebies to put 2 runners on base, but that is it for the offense that inning. 7-6 UConn.

Reaction Score
Top 5th, Cooke gives up a no out walk, and then the runner steals 2B and advances to 3B on a ground out for the 2nd out. Cooke strands the runner on base, picks up 2 strikeouts that inning. Cooke has 5 strikeouts for the game so far. 7-6 UConn.

Reaction Score
Padilla takes over at 2B in place of Daniels.

Top 6th, Cooke gives up a 1 out solo homer, 2nd homer for Sorrett today, 11-7 UConn. An error on Padilla puts a runner on base, the runner steals 2B. Cooke strands the runner. 11-7 UConn.

Reaction Score
Bottom 6th, UConn offense goes down in order. 11-7 UConn.

Reaction Score
Top 7th, Cooke gives up a leadoff double. Cooke strikes out the next 2 batters, but a 2 out triple drives in a run, 11-8 UConn going to the bottom of the inning.

Reaction Score
Bottom 7th, UConn offense goes down in order. 11-8 UConn.

Tom Ellisen starts the 8th inning on the mound.

Reaction Score
Top 8th, after an infield single, a double play eliminates the runner, Ellisen gets a strikeout to end the inning. 11-8 UConn.

Reaction Score
Bottom 8th, UConn offense loads the bases with 2 outs. Dalena gets a walk to bring in a run, 12-8 UConn. Kron with an RBI single driving in 2 runs, 14-8 UConn.

Reaction Score
Bottom 8th, UConn offense loads the bases with 2 outs. Dalena gets a walk to bring in a run, 12-8 UConn. Kron with an RBI single driving in 2 runs, 14-8 UConn.

Reaction Score
Top 9th Afthim has a scoreless inning with 2 strikeouts after giving up a 2 out single, UConn wins 14-8.

UConn offense with a nice comeback today.

Reaction Score
Good
1) Got down 5-0 didn't panic and came back. Tammaro got them back in the game with the grand slam and Luke got them some separation.
2) Thought Cookie threw the ball well given the tight strike zone. Looks like he's tweaked his delivery/release point a bit. Gave up the 2 dingers (only solo shots) but thought he threw pretty well
3) Other than Kron losing that ball in the clouds he was on base, had the RBI hit and played well. On a very good offense you stick him 9th ride his defense and use his speed at the plate. Will be interesting if he gets the start on Friday. I think he will.
4) Afthim has some really nasty stuff. Late breaking. BTW at UCSB he was the only Uconn pitcher scouts were radar gunning.
5) Ellisen did what he needed to do...be the bridge. Good to see but that needs to be the norm.
6) I like the lineup as putting Luke at 3B gets more bats in the lineup such as Malcom at DH, etc. (assuming they hit). Will be interesting if they stick to it this weekend. Probably worth the risk they need to score more.

Bad
1) Schild got banged around a bit. Tight strike zone didn't help. He needs a more liberal strike zone to take advantage of his movement and location. LIU also has some guys who can swing the bats they just have no pitching.
2) Daniels still struggling at the plate
3) Offense scored 14 runs but # of barreled balls wasn't commensurate with 14 runs. 2 swings generated half the runs
4) Malcom seems to be swinging for home runs. Big looping swings. Looked at some video from ECSU and he wasn't like that.

They'll have to be better overall to win down in New Jersey this weekend but needed the win. With weather possible double header on Friday. As always we'll see what happens.

Reaction Score
i think it may be time to move on from this volunteer hitting coach who is coach Pender's buddy and I don't even see at the away games. Give the job to Hourigan and see what he can do. seems like he is at least there 24/7

Reaction Score
i think it may be time to move on from this volunteer hitting coach who is coach Pender's buddy and I don't even see at the away games. Give the job to Hourigan and see what he can do. seems like he is at least there 24/7
You have no idea what you are talking about.

Reaction Score
Good
1) Got down 5-0 didn't panic and came back. Tammaro got them back in the game with the grand slam and Luke got them some separation.
2) Thought Cookie threw the ball well given the tight strike zone. Looks like he's tweaked his delivery/release point a bit. Gave up the 2 dingers (only solo shots) but thought he threw pretty well
3) Other than Kron losing that ball in the clouds he was on base, had the RBI hit and played well. On a very good offense you stick him 9th ride his defense and use his speed at the plate. Will be interesting if he gets the start on Friday. I think he will.
4) Afthim has some really nasty stuff. Late breaking. BTW at UCSB he was the only Uconn pitcher scouts were radar gunning.
5) Ellisen did what he needed to do...be the bridge. Good to see but that needs to be the norm.
6) I like the lineup as putting Luke at 3B gets more bats in the lineup such as Malcom at DH, etc. (assuming they hit). Will be interesting if they stick to it this weekend. Probably worth the risk they need to score more.

Bad
1) Schild got banged around a bit. Tight strike zone didn't help. He needs a more liberal strike zone to take advantage of his movement and location. LIU also has some guys who can swing the bats they just have no pitching.
2) Daniels still struggling at the plate
3) Offense scored 14 runs but # of barreled balls wasn't commensurate with 14 runs. 2 swings generated half the runs
4) Malcom seems to be swinging for home runs. Big looping swings. Looked at some video from ECSU and he wasn't like that.

They'll have to be better overall to win down in New Jersey this weekend but needed the win. With weather possible double header on Friday. As always we'll see what happens.

Don't think there is any doubt that Afthim looks like he is going to keep the closer role out of the bullpen. He seems to be one of the few players who has a definite set role on this team at this point in the season. Morton and Studley also seem to have set roles in the corner outfield spots, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a little experimentation for the near future at most other spots on the team. As we both say, we'll see what happens.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Who are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr