UConn vs Jackson State postgame thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn vs Jackson State postgame thread

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I’m rewatching the game. The announcers stink. Even when they are showing replays, they would not comment if an obvious call was missed, or whatever. Maybe they were told to not criticize the officiating. They need to focus more on the plays and cut out all the rest of the gibberish.
Agree!!

The announcers for many games, both men and women, are terrible. They chatter on and on. Very few question calls. And yes, I beleive their is a script they follow.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Looks like coach “ GENE “ had some nice things to say about the head coach of JS.
I kind of agree with Coach Reed-Jackson that the Women's game should go to Neutral sites for the Tournament. But the NCAA doesn't want to do that because of the costs, if they had put the rights to broadcast the Tournament instead of just resigning with ESPN for an additional nine years, they might have made more money.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Agree!!

The announcers for many games, both men and women, are terrible. They chatter on and on. Very few question calls. And yes, I beleive their is a script they follow.
Blame it all on Dickie V for the chatter, he was the first in college basketball.

Reaction Score
As soon as the announcers see that the game isn't close, they stop calling the game and start blathering. If you think the UConn game was bad, watch -- if you can stand it -- a game that was not expected to be close and wasn't close, like the Holy Cross-Iowa game yesterday, You would not have known a game was being played, top hear them, call it.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
YES, darn I thought that she retired, I guess I can only hope that the two don't officiate together when UConn is playing. I don't think we have enough players to survive their calls.
She is working today's MTSU vs LSU game in Baton Rouge.

Reaction Score
Some folks thought this would be a 40-point MOV. I think Vegas predicted a 33-point MOV, but I didn’t see it. I thought maybe 25.

As some folks noted, this was a 3 v. 14 game, not a 1 v. 16 matchup.

Some facts about JSU:

They ran the table in their conference AND won the conference tourney.

Their bad losses were to Texas, Oregon State, and Kansas State, all top-15 teams. The relatively close losses were to UCF, Miami, and Miss. State.

Two years ago, they led Baylor in the tourney by 10 before losing by 6. That’s the Baylor team that we struggled with.

Their big player transferred in from USC.

Geno seemed legitimately concerned about them.

I’m not disappointed in our performance. I would have liked 90-50, but JSU has talent and athleticism and they played hard.
Losing to Texas, Oregan State and Kansas State are NOT bad losses, but very good ones!!

Reaction Score
Were you watching the same game I was? First, JSU had a NET of 100, which higher than a few BE schools. Second, they had athleticism, worked hard, played with discipline for the most part, and was not intimidated by UConn. They played UConn almost even in the second half ( 37-36) and after the first Q, were only outscored by 8. Tell me the last time UConn had a first rd. game where the MOV was less than 30, heck even 25?! Please give JSU its proper respect!!

Reaction Score
Great win. Way to go Huskies. Survive and move on.

However, not exactly the best game the Huskies could have played from a defensive standpoint. Geno can't be very pleased with the effort particularly in the 3rd Q (despite what he may say publicly).

Both the defensive focus and discipline especially with some of the fouls (come on, not all were bad calls) have got to be a lot better on Monday. Anyway, I'll be there to add my cheers along with the thousands of other Husky fans.
I don't agree with the context of your post. I went to look back at Q3 that you refer to,. IMO the issue was when Edwards went out of the game picking up her 3rd foul. Up until that point there was complete domination. SO that was half the 3rd qtr. And what didn't help was about 1 minute or earlier Nika picked up her 3rd foul.

Then when Ice came in the game, notice what immediately happened: She missed out a rebound allowing opposing player to get it. Then on same play she gets beat on a switch allowing a layup. Then next play or play after on Offense she gets caught for a moving pick. Then you can see other time within this 5 minute strict she is running back on Defense with her back to the ball as result she was always slow to help out if at all on Defense. Thus, I don't believe this had anything to with "effort." It's that the other team took advantage of a freshman along with Edwards out, and Muhl having 3 fouls didn’t help either.

Reaction Score
Just some oberservations on a couple of plays and the game overall, the ref, and the Color Commentator.

Just my personal observation - people can agree or not. But the play Edwards got the Intentional foul - sort of a funny circumstance imo. Here is how I saw it: Initially JAX State- their center had arm on Edwards shoulder once Edwards drives (foul #1). Then Edwards immediate tries to clear her out using her arms upon the 1st or 2nd dribble (foul #2 this time by Edwards). Then as she is driving, the center still has her left arm Edwards - I believe on her elbow but definitely on her back (foul #3). She keeps her left arm on Edwards for most of the drive. Then #10 comes over to help in which it looks like her arm comes across Edwards face (though this is hard to tell but it looked like it- so foul #4). But definitely as Edwards drives Number 10 does have her arm coming down on Edwards left arm (foul #5) - and at this time the center eventually pulls left arm off of Edwards while Edwards looks to clear them both out (foul #6). SO imo there were 6 fouls on 1 play. :)

Granted if you let the 1st 2 fouls go so you don't call everything and end up with the flagrant on Edwards - that is fine. But the comedy is on the very next play it seemed the Jax State player blatantly knocked Shade to the floor going for rebound that was uncalled. Then later after all the physical play at near end of 3rd qtr they call a mystery foul on Brady. I looked at the replay- there was no contact. And yet the ref is telling others to "stop it" after he made an imaginary call. After all the physical play you make a call in which there was no touching and yet you go after others for complaining instead of walking away without saying anything? :) OFC he wasn;'t going ot be be "bigger than that. . . :)

And I'm of a minority _ I am fine with the Color Commentator. But for that particular play- her comments were shameful (not in a serious way) but far beneath her. While it's a 20+ game and not that important but for her to so blatantly let me say nicely "exaggerate reality" to say that Brady hit the player driving to the basket across the arm- just wow. We're not stupid. We could see. Please - just stop. Just don't comment on it rather than making such an embarrassing assessment. You're better than this. There was no cross to the arm committed by Brady. Just let it go if you don’t want to criticize.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Fortunately, color commentators don't affect the outcome of the game. But refs can, . . . and do.
But didn't in this game. Most of the calls were right; a few seemed incorrect, but they did not favor either team over the other.

I was at the game and totally disagreed in real time with the intentional foul call on Aaliyah. Watching the replay on TV, it was a justifiable call, even though a foul could also have been called on Jackson State on the same play.

Reaction Score
But didn't in this game. Most of the calls were right; a few seemed incorrect, but they did not favor either team over the other.

I was at the game and totally disagreed in real time with the intentional foul call on Aaliyah. Watching the replay on TV, it was a justifiable call, even though a foul could also have been called on Jackson State on the same play.
That’s how I saw it too. Aaliyah threw an unnecessary elbow. She was being held on the other side when it happened and the refs could have called that foul instead. But once an elbow flies it’s hard for them to see anything else. They can’t ignore it.

Reaction Score
That’s how I saw it too. Aaliyah threw an unnecessary elbow. She was being held on the other side when it happened and the refs could have called that foul instead. But once an elbow flies it’s hard for them to see anything else. They can’t ignore it.
I saw that too, unfortunately, but I also saw Aaliyah get hit in the nose at least twice and nothing was called.

Reaction Score
I don't mind if there's a color commentator, but many of these nationally televised games have, essentially, two color commentators and no play-by-play announcer, at least for long stretches. Compare that to the excellent job SNY's play-by-announcer Allen Bestwick does (and his predecessors like Eric Frede).

Reaction Score
Totally agree, KK is turning down too many shots. She needs a jump shot like Shade has and develop along with more deceptiveness by not dribbling straight ahead into an opponent. Love her passing but 8-10 shots a game would balance the scoring load. This would make everybody effective. Her four shots in this game are not enough IMO.

Great to see Shade putting back offense rebounds in the hoop! Why didn't we see Ice post up more? She seems to want to spend too much time outside. She might be more effect if she rolled to the hoop on occasion. Ice could clear out for a penetrating player or look for a bail out.

Still, in all, a fine opening game against size and determination.
KK has made some spectacular rebounds

Reaction Score
Inaccurate. The SWAC has never won a FIRST RD game, it has won a First Four game, so that conference has won a tournament game.

Reaction Score
I stand corrected, it was Howard University that won in the First Four in 2022 and that school is in the MEAC conference. I apologize.

Reaction Score
No the most annoying part of women's basketball is the high number of incompetent refs that are allowed to call these games. The NCAA needs to do something about it by start actually grading the refs, send them notices of what they did wrong. Have the ones that get the lowest scores get demoted to DIV II games for punishment and promote the ones in DIV II that do a good job.

This year the NCAA said they were going to start calling flopping fouls, not one of them was called on Jackson State yesterday, two of them were actually called charges.
MSGRET- - -RIGHT-ON!
The main problem with WBB refs is they are graded by conference referee supervisors that 95+% of the time are retired refs from that conference who worked with their present refs and won't knock their friends!
They need outside men/women that have NO ties to the present refs!
Maybe retired NBA refs!
But it's an ole ref network that perpetuate incompetence!

Reaction Score
No the most annoying part of women's basketball is the high number of incompetent refs that are allowed to call these games. The NCAA needs to do something about it by start actually grading the refs, send them notices of what they did wrong. Have the ones that get the lowest scores get demoted to DIV II games for punishment and promote the ones in DIV II that do a good job.

This year the NCAA said they were going to start calling flopping fouls, not one of them was called on Jackson State yesterday, two of them were actually called charges.

Reaction Score
They won by 22 points - they only need to win by one. There is no trophy for having a large margin of victory
Please forgive the suggestion that I thought margin of victory mattered as part of evaluating tournament game 1 performance. I'm not a critic. Just like thinking about things.

Reaction Score
The tricky thing was UConn only won the second half by 1 point. They only won the last 3 quarters by 8. Not sure what to make of that.
Underlining... Again, pretty good first quarter, good 2nd... and then lost the 2nd half. My comment isn't about winning or losing. It's a question about whatever the difference is between eeking out a win and even a little bit of dominance. Is there something to tap into? Or not?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom