UConn vs Jackson State postgame thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn vs Jackson State postgame thread

Reaction Score
Yes but they only played 4 games in his first 9 of his 10 championships and 5 games in his 10th. They also didn't have the Conference Tournaments back then. Plus only the Conference winners were invited in his first 9 championships.
Also, if I am not mistaken, the Regional brackets were truly geographical meaning only western teams in the West Regional.

Reaction Score
I’m rewatching the game. The announcers stink. Even when they are showing replays, they would not comment if an obvious call was missed, or whatever. Maybe they were told to not criticize the officiating. They need to focus more on the plays and cut out all the rest of the gibberish.

Reaction Score
Survive and advance. :)

Credit to Jackson St. They hit some big 3s and their experience with a tough OOC schedule really showed. They were not about to back down from a challenge.

Unfortunately for them, UConn has Paige, Ashlyn, AE, Nika, KK, Ice, … :)

Massive props to AE for hanging tough the whole game. It barely showed that she hadn’t played in 2 weeks. And no fear at all playing physical in the paint. You love to see it.

Paige did Paige things. Nika was the usual floor general and had some clutch buckets. Ashlyn went off and got herself a career high in points. Everyone played well. It never felt like they didn’t have control over the game. That last ~6 minutes or so of Q4 was mostly just running out the clock instead of running up the score.

One down, let’s rest up and get ready for Monday!
They're a tough team. And well coached. Credit to them. They are one of those teams in a minor conference that nonetheless is tough and talented. Very impressed by Jackson State.

Reaction Score
Paige set the tone for the game. the defensive intensity did seem to be lower I thought. I wish KK would realize that she cannot drive to the basket like she did in high school. Those drives will become a liability in the next round. If she can finish , great…

the officiating will be what it is. Humans doing a human job, not perfect. it doesn’t do any good for the players to continue to complain; that to me is the most annoying part of basketball. It isn’t just this game, it’s every game. Let Geno do the complaining.

It’s March now so no more excuses for ‘freshmen mistakes.’ Yesterday was a great win. The stats that pop out are Paige without fouls or turnovers. She’s ready to take control and bust out. Hope the others continue to help the ride forward. Loved the birthday shirts!

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

The best part of this presser is when he says that "P5" programs should stop recycling coaches that haven't been that successful, and think outside the box and look at some of these other coaches, such as Reed, who is crushing it, day in and out, without a lot of fanfare and press. The whole recycling coaches and not taking chances on lesser known folks but not less qualified, is one of my major issues with MBB, NBA, NFL, as we've seen it over and over.

Reaction Score
And they have 6 graduate students rather than 4 freshmen playing a lot of minutes

On edit - one grad student is 6-5 and another is 6-6 yet Aaliyah scored 20 points and had 10 rebounds

Coach Geno really explained what was what in his press conference remarks. Towards the end he wondered how a really tough team like Jackson State would have done in the tournament if they had not been required to go up against a UConn on their home court in front of that sort of sell-out crowd. In other words, Jackson State was much better than their seeding. Much better. Kudos to Jackson State, and a thank you to Coach Geno for his gracious words in behalf of Jackson State and their superb coach.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The best part of this presser is when he says that "P5" programs should stop recycling coaches that haven't been that successful, and think outside the box and look at some of these other coaches, such as Reed, who is crushing it, day in and out, without a lot of fanfare and press. The whole recycling coaches and not taking chances on lesser known folks but not less qualified, is one of my major issues with MBB, NBA, NFL, as we've seen it over and over.
Note that Doshia Woods is head coach at the University of Denver, not some Internet groupie of Geno’s

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Paige set the tone for the game. the defensive intensity did seem to be lower I thought. I wish KK would realize that she cannot drive to the basket like she did in high school. Those drives will become a liability in the next round. If she can finish , great…

the officiating will be what it is. Humans doing a human job, not perfect. it doesn’t do any good for the players to continue to complain; that to me is the most annoying part of basketball. It isn’t just this game, it’s every game. Let Geno do the complaining.

It’s March now so no more excuses for ‘freshmen mistakes.’ Yesterday was a great win. The stats that pop out are Paige without fouls or turnovers. She’s ready to take control and bust out. Hope the others continue to help the ride forward. Loved the birthday shirts!
No the most annoying part of women's basketball is the high number of incompetent refs that are allowed to call these games. The NCAA needs to do something about it by start actually grading the refs, send them notices of what they did wrong. Have the ones that get the lowest scores get demoted to DIV II games for punishment and promote the ones in DIV II that do a good job.

This year the NCAA said they were going to start calling flopping fouls, not one of them was called on Jackson State yesterday, two of them were actually called charges.

Reaction Score
Yes but they only played 4 games in his first 9 of his 10 championships and 5 games in his 10th. They also didn't have the Conference Tournaments back then. Plus only the Conference winners were invited in his first 9 championships.
Agreed, MSGRET, there was definitely less risk of an early-round upset loss, but he did have the best teams. He didn't control any of the other stuff.

Reaction Score
No the most annoying part of women's basketball is the high number of incompetent refs that are allowed to call these games. The NCAA needs to do something about it by start actually grading the refs, send them notices of what they did wrong. Have the ones that get the lowest scores get demoted to DIV II games for punishment and promote the ones in DIV II that do a good job.

This year the NCAA said they were going to start calling flopping fouls, not one of them was called on Jackson State yesterday, two of them were actually called charges.
I wonder how many WBB refs there are total because it seems like the same ones end up doing our games or at least all of our bigger higher profile games.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
So true. Nan, can you definitively let us know where Nika stands for the all time career assist record at UCONN? I'm going Monday and I want to know what I'm seeing. Thanks.
Nika sits at 658 career assists after yesterday's game. 1 assist ties Jefferson at 659 and 2 assists give Nika the career record for UConn - 660.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom