UConn vs Jackson State postgame thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn vs Jackson State postgame thread

Reaction Score
Audio Stinks To High Heaven

I thought the JSU coach was wonderful. Really talented and dedicated. Geno was spot-on about her program, and how there needs to be greater recognition of these programs by the power conferences. Rather than taking advantage of them and dragging their teams to play OOC games away from their homes, big-time teams should be traveling to THEIR schools and putting on a show. That's how to grow women's basketball.

I have a suggestion that probably won't go down well with a lot of you. I can remember when NCAA regional tournaments were truly regional. They were called East, South, Midwest and Far West. There was something to be said about truly sectional tournaments, and then the best of each of the four sections would be represented on the final big stage. Today, we're too focused on equality on a national stage right from the start. As a result, we have a tournament with too many sacrificial lambs in the first round, forcing a #16 to travel far from home to face slaughter, all in the name of a national grid.

As to the audio at the post-game presser, I used the earphones on my laptop, and for some reason the audio was plenty loud.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I thought the JSU coach was wonderful. Really talented and dedicated. Geno was spot-on about her program, and how there needs to be greater recognition of these programs by the power conferences. Rather than taking advantage of them and dragging their teams to play OOC games away from their homes, big-time teams should be traveling to THEIR schools and putting on a show. That's how to grow women's basketball.

I have a suggestion that probably won't go down well with a lot of you. I can remember when NCAA regional tournaments were truly regional. They were called East, South, Midwest and Far West. There was something to be said about truly sectional tournaments, and then the best of each of the four sections would be represented on the final big stage. Today, we're too focused on equality on a national stage right from the start. As a result, we have a tournament with too many sacrificial lambs in the first round, forcing a #16 to travel far from home to face slaughter, all in the name of a national grid.

As to the audio at the post-game presser, I used the earphones on my laptop, and for some reason the audio was plenty loud.
That's how John Wooden got to so many Final Fours because the teams in the Far West were not up to par with most of the rest of the nation. His first five NC had no competition in the Regional games. This way they have a better system where the #1 seeds down to the #16 seeds are more balanced.

Reaction Score
I know UConn is missing some pieces, just like last year, but the major difference is this UConn rendition has a healthy Paige in the lineup. You could see it immediately at the start of the game.

Like Nan stated, one down and more to come.

If Ashlynn can continue her offensive aggression, it will free up room for Paige, making UConn a very hard out. Can't wait for Monday.
ASH can keep it up, but she is also a freshman. So nothing is guaranteed. KK showed signs of "freshmanitis" today. She continues to attack the basket without a plan. She becomes indecisive once she sees the lane closing up ( which is pretty much always going to be the case ). I wish she would use a pull up jump shot or a "teardrop." Instead, she winds up on the floor with the ball tied up. She also missed an outside shot that was pretty wide open ( she usually makes these ). We have all seen that she can step on the gas, just as ASH did today. Maybe Monday. ICE played okay but didn't really find the footing she had shown in the semi and final games of the BE tournament. The use of Q was so inconsistent, she couldn't really get a feel for the game. I'm glad she hit that three. I think we have to wait until next season for her to emerge as a big time player. But this " taste" of the big time has to be useful.

Reaction Score
I wasn't offended in the least! :cool:
You should be on stage......................and there's one leaving in 10 minutes.
Boom Mic Drop GIF by Holler Studios

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
A replay of the game is currently available on the ESPN app in the TOP PICKS section.
I have not watched it but I am guessing that the video contains ads.
I am really hoping to see a @MJL243 version by morning. :);)

Reaction Score
That's how John Wooden got to so many Final Fours because the teams in the Far West were not up to par with most of the rest of the nation. His first five NC had no competition in the Regional games. This way they have a better system where the #1 seeds down to the #16 seeds are more balanced.
Excellent point, MSGRET.

By the way, Wooden also got there because he had the best teams, which showed once the Final Four was played each season.

Reaction Score
Jackson State is a pretty damn good team. Their center at times was driving UConn nuts. That said, I really thought UConn played below their ability, even given the fact that JSU was playing well. There were just several defensive lapses, some on Oaige's part. Here's hoping these are things that Geno reminds them to fix.

Reaction Score
The tricky thing was UConn only won the second half by 1 point. They only won the last 3 quarters by 8. Not sure what to make of that.
Edwards put herself on the bench and Ice, KK and Nika only scored about ten points total in their minutes. Better scoring balance would help but a solid win in any case for the first NCAA game for four of our players. We gave up many games of playing experience to our first-round opponent and still won by over 20. Prety darn good!

Reaction Score
They won by 22 points - they only need to win by one. There is no trophy for having a large margin of victory
So true. Nan, can you definitively let us know where Nika stands for the all time career assist record at UCONN? I'm going Monday and I want to know what I'm seeing. Thanks.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Excellent point, MSGRET.

By the way, Wooden also got there because he had the best teams, which showed once the Final Four was played each season.
Yes but they only played 4 games in his first 9 of his 10 championships and 5 games in his 10th. They also didn't have the Conference Tournaments back then. Plus only the Conference winners were invited in his first 9 championships.

Reaction Score
Classic Geno..
Ash: (Explaining the picture of Geno on her shirt, representing him always "yelling" at her)
"I've learned to translate his, 'you suck' into 'I love you'.."
Geno: "Yeah, you better get a new translator"
:cool:
In that moment they reminded me of a love struck teen and her clueless jock crush. No matter what he says to her she interprets it as "he noticed me, he noticed me!" She's a joy to watch.

In Love Hearts GIF by The Valentines

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
My exuberance preceded reality...my MOV was certainly overstated as Jackson State while outgunned and outclassed played hard and kept it competitively respecable. My concerns about height and Jackson's laudable 43 rebounds per game average did not bear fruit in this game as UConn outrebounded Jackson State 45-36. One negative thing continues to stand out and that is our lack of bench production. Only three points off the bench...I am afraid that is our Achilles heel, the lack of a bench. Our margin of error is essentially zero. We can't afford to have a starter foul out, we can't afford for a starter to get hurt, we have to bring our "A" every game, and our starters must be ready to play 35-plus minutes each game.

One stat that jumped out at me in this game was while we committed fewer fouls than Jackson State 15 - 18, they went to the line for 22 shots while UConn only took 10 foul shots.

Ashlynn Shade has picked a great time to have a career game. Let's hope she can build off this performance for the rest of the tournament. We all need for KK and NIka to be a little more productive on the offensive side of the court just in case one of our stars (Aaliyah or Paige) has an off night.

Nex up Syracuse!

Reaction Score
Ash was amazing. Paige and Aaliyah and Nika too. But Ash!!! It’s hard to find a reason for her not to be on the floor. One wonders what the next three years have in Storrs (lol) for her.
Loved how she was locked and loaded and ready to shoot.

Reaction Score
I don't know if anyone else had trouble hearing the press conference?
Even with my headphones on I couldn't make out what anyone was saying!
So annoying to catch 1 word here or there!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom