UConn vs Jackson State postgame thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn vs Jackson State postgame thread

Reaction Score
From another thread started by DavidinNaples:
“Paige is also currently sitting on the 8th place in Single season scoring with 725
7th Maya Moore 736 (2010)
6th KLS with 747 (2017)
4th Maya Moore 754 (2009)
4th Napheesa Collier 754 (2017)
3rd Breanna Stewart 777 (2014)
2nd Napheesa Collier 792 (2019)
1st Maya Moore 868 (2011)”

Paige now with 753 points will move past Maya and Phee in the next game. If UConn only has 2 more games and Paige averages 20 ppg it will be the 2nd best single season scoring in UConn history.
if UConn and Paige have a terrific run and make the finals it will take 23 ppg for Paige to tie the great Maya Moore. Let’s go UConn and Paige. We know you can do it !

Reaction Score
One advantage of being a 3 seed is having a first game against a competitive team. JSU wasn't talented enough to push UConn very much but good enough to make us work up a sweat. It makes the team a little sharper going into game 2.

KK really needs to shoot more. I started counting open shots she declined and gave up when I ran out of fingers and toes. Nika can get away with not taking many shots but when a team can lay off two of five on the floor it makes things harder for the other three. Shade made up the slack today. We can't have to count on that.
Totally agree, KK is turning down too many shots. She needs a jump shot like Shade has and develop along with more deceptiveness by not dribbling straight ahead into an opponent. Love her passing but 8-10 shots a game would balance the scoring load. This would make everybody effective. Her four shots in this game are not enough IMO.

Great to see Shade putting back offense rebounds in the hoop! Why didn't we see Ice post up more? She seems to want to spend too much time outside. She might be more effect if she rolled to the hoop on occasion. Ice could clear out for a penetrating player or look for a bail out.

Still, in all, a fine opening game against size and determination.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Some folks thought this would be a 40-point MOV. I think Vegas predicted a 33-point MOV, but I didn’t see it. I thought maybe 25.

As some folks noted, this was a 3 v. 14 game, not a 1 v. 16 matchup.

Some facts about JSU:

They ran the table in their conference AND won the conference tourney.

Their bad losses were to Texas, Oregon State, and Kansas State, all top-15 teams. The relatively close losses were to UCF, Miami, and Miss. State.

Two years ago, they led Baylor in the tourney by 10 before losing by 6. That’s the Baylor team that we struggled with.

Their big player transferred in from USC.

Geno seemed legitimately concerned about them.

I’m not disappointed in our performance. I would have liked 90-50, but JSU has talent and athleticism and they played hard.
And they have 6 graduate students rather than 4 freshmen playing a lot of minutes

On edit - one grad student is 6-5 and another is 6-6 yet Aaliyah scored 20 points and had 10 rebounds

Last edited:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Bemusing event of the game - Geno gets a warning for bench decorum, ie, being too far out of the coaching box, and all I can think of is Mulkey, Shaka Smart, and a bunch of others that are ON the court vs wandering too far up the margin towards the scorer's table area.

Reaction Score
Great win. Way to go Huskies. Survive and move on.

However, not exactly the best game the Huskies could have played from a defensive standpoint. Geno can't be very pleased with the effort particularly in the 3rd Q (despite what he may say publicly). And please don't say that Jackson St should have been seeded higher or that a #16 scored 65 against a#1 Iowa. Apples-oranges.

Both the defensive focus and discipline especially with some of the fouls (come on, not all were bad calls) have got to be a lot better on Monday. Anyway, I'll be there to add my cheers along with the thousands of other Husky fans.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Two questions:
1. How many of those previous games were played against #14 seeds?
2. Any purpose to your post here other than general unpleasantness?
1- zero, which shows that 14 seeds are generally much tougher than 16 seeds
2- why was it unpleasant? A factual stat is unpleasant?

Reaction Score
Bemusing event of the game - Geno gets a warning for bench decorum, ie, being too far out of the coaching box, and all I can think of is Mulkey, Shaka Smart, and a bunch of others that are ON the court vs wandering too far up the margin towards the scorer's table area.
So true. Some of these coaches are literally on the court and Coach G gets called out. I rarely see or hear Coach Smart getting a warning and I see Coach Mulkey getting a tech for behavior but rarely a warning for being out on the floor.

Reaction Score
I hope that this is the last game that Joe Vaszily calls this season for UConn. He is one of the worst refs I've ever seen. Only one that is worse I think she finally retired.
The absolute worse of his "kind". It is not so much that he makes bad calls (all refs do - they are human). It is because he makes bad "no calls". It is the no calls that have made the women's game look like rugby games and at times ugly. This man's interpretation of the rules favor certain styles and certain teams that play those styles. Also very inconsistent. That is the problem, IMO.

As for the game. Great effort by both teams. J State was very impressive.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
5 minutes into the game I wrote down.

Imaginary conversation during first timeout:

Geno: Paige if you start out aggressive like that, it makes it easy for the whole team to have confidence, get reasonable shots and make them.

Paige: Got it coach

Geno noted in the presser that the conversation actually was held before the game (a day or so ago?)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The tricky thing was UConn only won the second half by 1 point. They only won the last 3 quarters by 8. Not sure what to make of that.
That Jackson State didn't lose, they just ran out of time?

Or, alternatively, that...
Season 8 Episode 22 GIF by THE NEXT STEP

Reaction Score
Hats off to Jackson State. Pretty scrappy team and well coached. They played hard for 40 minutes. With that being said, I am so proud of our beloved UConn Huskies!! Each player stepped up in multiple ways. Either on the scoring end, defensive end, rebounding, and passing. Each player did something positive to help the team get the win.

Ashlynn: Dealt with the bully ball by dishing out some physical play of her own. Great game.
Aaliyah: Took quite a few whacks to the face (some called and some were not called) and she played through it all.
KK: Such a wonderful floor general. Pushes the pace and knows when and where to take the action on offense. Defensive side, she is such a pest! She plays with so much confidence, which only has gotten better as the season progressed. Great game.
Paige: What an incredible player. I am glad that we have her on the team. Her passing, that one pass to Ashlynn, was Magic Johnson like! Just a small lane and Paige and Ashlynn connected. Just a beautiful exchange.
Nika: Like KK, Nika knows when and where to take the action. She was dropping dimes like only Nika can. Her defense, like KK, was disruptive. Great game, Nika!!

Ice: She played well. She had some solid passes that led to some scoring. Her rebounding and defensive play was very helpful to the team. She did well out there.
Q: Her time will come but when she is on the court, it is magical. Her ability to catch and shoot is electric! I hope that she remains patient and embrace what the coaching staff is trying to teach her and embrace her role. Her time will come.
Ines: What a team player! She came in and played hard.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I was at the game today and it was a great atmosphere, basically a full house. I had the pleasure of walking in from South Garage with Jerry Franklin of Connecticut Public TV fame. He was always on at halftime and other breaks when CPTV carried the games from the mid 1990s until around 2012 or so. I made a point of thanking him for doing that. That was one of the biggest reasons for the growth in popularity in Connecticut for UCWBB. He laughingly noted that UConn was a bit nervous at first that the CPTV's coverage would cut into the fan base of about 1,000 that would actually go to the games!

Also saw Svetlana in the bookstore after the game checking out UConn gear. I was thinking she ought to have enough from back in the day. Different Husky, though. I am 6'0" and she has a good two inches on me. Imposing. Still looks like she could go for 30.

Jackson State was better than I had expected, made some crazy shots, had some size inside. They competed. I have come to expect the worst from the referees and they certainly delivered today. Vazily is bad, but the woman ref was worse.

The Wilson ball looks like a big pumpkin.

Not going to go heavy on the analysis - Paige was Paige, Shade was terrific, good to see Aaliyah out there doing Aaliyah-type things. Nika should have had the assist record but her teammates missed a lot of open shots that would have gotten her there. So we will look forward to have it happening on Monday.

I would like to see KK stop passing up open shots, only to drive into a black hole. Please, shoot the open three. If you miss, you miss.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom