UConn vs Gonzaga for a Final 4 Berth | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn vs Gonzaga for a Final 4 Berth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Timme is not in the same stratosphere as Sanogo defensively. 93 vs 103 defensive rating.

Idk anything about defensive rating but that sounds like the same stratosphere?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So, traditional blue uni, or black?
No Way Do Not Want GIF

Not the black.

Reaction Score
The problem for Timme is it's him against Sanogo, then it's him against Clingan.
I don’t think it’s going to be easy by any stretch, but get 2-3 fouls on Timme and the Zags suddenly have a major problem. I’m assuming Few is going to go with double teaming or some kind of zone variation as a counter, for which we need to make them pay with threes or alley-opps to Jackson all night.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga really doesn't guard. They win with excellent / efficient offense. #1 offense #73 defense. They're middling in rebounding. UConn is the better team but Gonzaga has some magic on their side. I expect UConn to win by 5-7 points.

Reaction Score
Idk anything about defensive rating but that sounds like the same stratosphere?

100 is average. Higher is worse, lower is better. The stat isn't an exact science, but it's decent if you're comparing players on similarly ranked teams.

Generally I think of 90 as exceptionally elite defense. Anything 110 or worse is practically unplayable.

Reaction Score
I don’t think it’s going to be easy by any stretch, but get 2-3 fouls on Timme and the Zags suddenly have a major problem. I’m assuming Few is going to go with double teaming or some kind of zone variation as a counter, for which we need to make them pay with threes or alley-opps to Jackson all night.
Yes, given how soft Timme is alone on defense, they're going to have to double Sanogo, and he has to be ready for a quick kickout or backdoor to Jackson at the rim.

Reaction Score
I watched the Gonzaga/UCLA game last night and I have to say after watching the ferocious defense UConn and Arkansas played against each other I think either team would be overmatched by UConn. But at this point it isn't really about just plain ability and talent anymore. All the teams have it. It's matchups and execution now. UConn is a bad matchup for Gonzaga. If they execute, it's over 15 minutes in. If they don't UConn can end up in a high 80s to 90s track meet game. Gonzaga doesn't defend they just try to score more points than you.

Reaction Score
i don't have the stats to back it up, but it feels like sanogo has had an incredible season defending the post 1-on-1. this will be a huge test, but everything i have seen is really encouraging.

can't wait to watch.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The problem for Timme is it's him against Sanogo, then it's him against Clingan.
They have to give him help or Sanogo will eat him alive. Our guys can handle him 1v1. He'll get his points, but we shouldn't need to double him. So that should give us more open looks on the perimeter if guys are moving and the ball is moving.

Reaction Score
I’m genuinely interested in what Gonzaga and Houston’s metrics would be if they played in the Big 12, SEC or Big East. These are 2 teams that play in scrub conferences where they just haven’t been tested as much and more often than not those teams can’t string together 6 wins against high quality opponents. We all need to be hoping for a win Saturday and for Houston and Texas to both lose either this round or next round. Not getting ahead of myself, but I’d prefer not to play Texas in Houston…seems like 2009 all over again.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Given how intense the Kansas State-MSU game was at the same time it feels like we're almost under the radar. You look around the tournament and every game is close in the last minute.

Except ours.

Reaction Score
It all comes down to two things.
1. Fouls. If Sanogo picks up two quick fouls and DC simply is too green to deal with Timme its going to be a problem. If its Timme who picks up a couple early ones and his supporting cast plays like they did against UCLA we could be looking at a replay of the Arkansas beat down.
2. As mentioned Timme cant do it all by himself. If the supporting cast for the Zags are not hitting shots its a blowout. If you cannot hit 3s against this team you are in trouble.

Should be a great game.
Completely agree. Sanogo is just very shy of contact (I don’t know why he hasn’t been coached in to going straight up through contact; he could’ve drawn at least two fouls with his shot fakes last night) so that issue won’t be forced in that matchup. Hopefully the guards can drive into him and get calls

Reaction Score
Best case scenario is go right at Timme and try to get him a couple quick fouls. He’s an excellent offensive player but he should struggle a lot with the UConn bigs defensively and has been prone to foul trouble against bigger players in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom