UConn Vs ECU game thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

UConn Vs ECU game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let's recall Geno called Saniya the most improved player at the beginning of the season. I refuse to give up on her until Geno, CD, et al give up on her. For the record, I don't expect this to happen......

Reaction Score
Let's recall Geno called Saniya the most improved player at the beginning of the season. I refuse to give up on her until Geno, CD, et al give up on her. For the record, I don't expect this to happen.

Geno also said that Chong was the best player in practice during the preseason, until they started playing games and all that changed. Clearly they are not giving up on her given the amount of minutes she is getting every game. I just don't understand why she is so gun shy, for a gun slinger.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Hey, at least Chong had 2 blocks today and is still shooting better than last year, so her usual cast of bashers have a little teeth gnashing to do.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I find Saniya an enigma. She's from my old High School athletic circuit and I have been a stauch supporter/quiet rooter. But she is baffling now. I think she has developed this waving the hand around thing when she gets the ball as a stall/pause button for herself while she continues to overthink the game. I hate it, because she has such abilities locked up in there! In the 3 most loved and hated words of 2014: LET IT GO! Saniya: LET IT GO!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Hey, at least Chong had 2 blocks today and is still shooting better than last year, so her usual cast of bashers have a little teeth gnashing to do.
I have been watching Saniya on defense and she's definitely shown some improvement there. Maybe she's expending more energy on D and it's afftecting her offense? if so, that's only short term until her endurance improves.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I find Saniya an enigma. She's from my old High School athletic circuit and I have been a stauch supporter/quiet rooter. But she is baffling now. I think she has developed this waving the hand around thing when she gets the ball as a stall/pause button for herself while she continues to overthink the game. I hate it, because she has such abilities locked up in there! In the 3 most loved and hated words of 2014: LET IT GO! Saniya: LET IT GO!
It's possible that an unforeseen side effect of pulling her from the starting lineup for her defensive lapses has rattled her confidence. Confidence is a precarious thing and while she's getting a lot of minutes, she doesn't seem to do all that much when out there. I find myself looking at the box score and seeing that she played 20 or so minutes, then thinking "but it seemed like only 5-10"...

It seems like her defense is better tho. Must be, cuz Geno is leaving her in longer...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Of all the players this year, Saniya has been the most disappointing. There are times when she looks scared and other times when she looks lost. I had high hopes for her coming out of high school. It's clear she has a long way to go. Moriah and Kia need to stay out of foul trouble.

I "like" it, not because I like it, but because it's the truth. I really liked what I saw from Courtney E today and she cannot get too much time in conference play for me. She slows things down but she knows what she is doing and in case you missed it her first bucket, that layup, came from the waist and was a pure touch, spin "in your face" piece of poetry.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Chong is the most unfocused UConn player by far. She really brings the quality of play down with her spaced out play. Lousy telegraphed pass right there.
She certainly the occasional brain fart but I wouldn't call her unfocused and certainly not the worst.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Chong hit a couple threes against UCLA with no hesitation, but her shot looks really line-drivy to me all the sudden. Like she has no air on it. She got into the lane against Duke the other day and I thought she was going to throw up the floater that she's known for but instead she took a line-drive jumper that hit the front of the rim. She did have a really nice drive past defenders for a layup late today.

Someone earlier said Chong looks unfocused. I've always thought she plays with a nervous body language. She seems alert to me, just not confident or comfortable.

Reaction Score
Chong hit a couple threes against UCLA with no hesitation, but her shot looks really line-drivy to me all the sudden. Like she has no air on it. She got into the lane against Duke the other day and I thought she was going to throw up the floater that she's known for but instead she took a line-drive jumper that hit the front of the rim. She did have a really nice drive past defenders for a layup late today.

Someone earlier said Chong looks unfocused. I've always thought she plays with a nervous body language. She seems alert to me, just not confident or comfortable.
Meg said the same thing during the game, I believe. Something to the effect that defenders converge on her because they can see that she's not very steady or confident.

Reaction Score
I'm betting that someone has been trying to get her to change/work on her shot mechanics (There was a lengthy thread here last year about her shot and whether it would work at the college level). So... she is likely over thinking mechanics (especially after a miss or two) instead of just shooting it...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm betting that someone has been trying to get her to change/work on her shot mechanics (There was a lengthy thread here last year about her shot and whether it would work at the college level). So... she is likely over thinking mechanics (especially after a miss or two) instead of just shooting it...

It is not just her shooting, it is Saniya's total game. This young lady has all the tickets. Always felt criticism of her shot was over blown. yes, it could be less flat, but mostly it works. But the "head boggy" is the thing. Gotta get over it and play. No one is fast enough in sports to double think things and be great. Gottah turn it off or decide to switch to horse shoes or Jarts. Just the way it is.

Reaction Score
If she was such a prolific scorer in HS, hopefully that's not true. Why fix something that's not broken?

HGN

Reaction Score
How did Courtney look in the game , any obvious signs of limping or discomfort?

Reaction Score
What works in high school doesn't always translate to the next level.
True, but maybe if she went back to what she knew or was comfortable doing in HS then she would be more consistent? You know sorta like you can't force a leopard to change its spots? She's pretty much going to be like Kiah: a lot of potential, but mostly a role/bench player. That's OK. We've had some pretty good ones come through here, and not everyone is going to be the next Stewie.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Her shot starts low and comes out flat which means she must shoot from further out or get a more wide open spot up. The good news is that as long as the pass is delivered to her correctly her release is very quick. If she want to play beyond college she needs to change her shot which is not that hard to do with good coaching and a lot of shot repetition.

Reactions: HGN

HGN

Reaction Score
Her shot starts low and comes out flat which means she must shoot from further out or get a more wide open spot up. The good news is that as long as the pass is delivered to her correctly her release is very quick. If she want to play beyond college she needs to change her shot which is not that hard to do with good coaching and a lot of shot repetition.
Ice , Thanks for the feedback.....I am glad to hear that there was no obvious lingering effects from the injury. And that she got some run in the game.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Let's recall Geno called Saniya the most improved player at the beginning of the season. I refuse to give up on her until Geno, CD, et al give up on her. For the record, I don't expect this to happen.
+1

Reaction Score
Well I was just thinking I didn't have to go back further than this season to provide an example of a poorer performance.
You certainly didn't, I was just going off Geno's remark of worst half ever and that always brings me to the Stanford N.C. game first half. I've tried to block it from my mind but just can't seem to do it.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
That Stanford NC game was certainly the strangest UConn game I ever watched!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
JMO folks. She needs to think like she did in HS. She needs a scorers mentality not passing or deferring to everybody else. Her dribble drive towards the end of the game brought back memories of HS. We need her to do more of that.

Reaction Score
JMO folks. She needs to think like she did in HS. She needs a scorers mentality not passing or deferring to everybody else. Her dribble drive towards the end of the game brought back memories of HS. We need her to do more of that.

What we need is more of you in game threads. :)

Reaction Score
How did Courtney look in the game , any obvious signs of limping or discomfort?

She looked very comfortable out there. That backdoor pass from Stewie was like "Oh my gosh! I'm about to score"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom